nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I dunno they're bugs, do they really feel pain?

:no: Invertebrates do not feel pain. I have no qualms about killing insects, philosophically speaking. Although actually doing it gives me the willies and I usually chicken out and get someone else to do it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

They sure look like they're in pain especially when half their body was just squished under a flip flop. This was an interesting read, if you like reading about hadiths concerning ants that is. :P

http://abu-hurayrah.blogspot.com/2005/09/p...or-insects.html

eta: I just read the who am i part of that dude's blog and he's a whack job but i still like the ant post.

Edited by doodlebugg

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

They sure do have a different attitude here in Egypt about ants at least.

My in-laws are not bothered by them at all. Gross. They will kill roaches, but still don't seem bothered by them. Double gross.

I always feel bad when killing bugs, but it doesn't stop me, and I just ask God to forgive me. :P

What really upsets me is the way I see horses and donkeys get treated here.

I was being driven one time by the family driver and we were held up by a horse pulling a cart. The horse was obviously past its limits and it was hotter than hades out and these guys were whipping that horse til I thought it was going to keel over. The sounds it was making and jumping up in the air just brought me to tears. I was so upset about this. And it wasn't the only time I've seen animals whipped and crying out. :crying:

I hope the people doing that rot in the lowest depths of hell.

However, having said that, I'm not sure what makes me all that different, as I'm willing to take an ants life.... meh.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

My in-laws are not bothered by them at all. Gross. They will kill roaches, but still don't seem bothered by them. Double gross.

I always feel bad when killing bugs, but it doesn't stop me, and I just ask God to forgive me. :P

I was being driven one time by the family driver and we were held up by a horse pulling a cart. The horse was obviously past its limits and it was hotter than hades out and these guys were whipping that horse til I thought it was going to keel over. The sounds it was making and jumping up in the air just brought me to tears. I was so upset about this. And it wasn't the only time I've seen animals whipped and crying out. :crying:

However, having said that, I'm not sure what makes me all that different, as I'm willing to take an ants life.... meh.

I'm the same way lol. It's so sad! The cats and dogs and horses, you can see their bones :crying:

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was complaining to Ahmed the other day because the owner of the Roof Cow across the street has not cleaned up the poop in the area where the cow is chained to for days, so the cow is being made to just lay in its own feces. It made me sad. Mostly because whenever I walk around in the apartment, the cow looks at me with its sad cow eyes. And then I go eat some kofta and wonder if the cow I'm eating had to wallow in its own poo and gave sad cow-eyes to somebody else before I ate it. :unsure:

My husband and I spent over an hour yesterday discussing whether or not it is ok to kill ants/bugs in general. We've had a lot of carpenter ants get into our bathroom so it's a daily occurence to end the life of at least one of the intruders, but is it ok in God's eyes? When I look at one of them for any length of time it's hard not to notice how perfectly formed they are. Then I think of the colonies back home waiting for him to come back and give the "all clear" message, etc. I mean it's a community just like we are, except they're ants. Even the Quran has a chapter named The Ant.

Are we being too sensitive or do others ever feel guilty about the amount of insects they kill?

I feel guilty killing anything. I try to let them go...unless they're crawling ON me...then it's to each their own!!! Hubster has no qualms about killing bugs...he'll squish one of these 50 pound roaches in a heartbeat! I'm too scared of them to kill them. They could carry away small children...ain't no way in heL LLLLL I'm steppin on that!!!

:no: Invertebrates do not feel pain. I have no qualms about killing insects, philosophically speaking. Although actually doing it gives me the willies and I usually chicken out and get someone else to do it.

What? Seriously? they don't feel pain??? Can you show me proof of that? I'm really interested in reading about it. I thought every living object could feel pain. I mean, even flowers feel pain.....so surely insects do too, right???

Now, spiders...they aren't living...they are dead.... plain and simple...... (lol)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline
My husband and I spent over an hour yesterday discussing whether or not it is ok to kill ants/bugs in general. We've had a lot of carpenter ants get into our bathroom so it's a daily occurence to end the life of at least one of the intruders, but is it ok in God's eyes? When I look at one of them for any length of time it's hard not to notice how perfectly formed they are. Then I think of the colonies back home waiting for him to come back and give the "all clear" message, etc. I mean it's a community just like we are, except they're ants. Even the Quran has a chapter named The Ant.

Are we being too sensitive or do others ever feel guilty about the amount of insects they kill?

I feel guilty killing anything. I try to let them go...unless they're crawling ON me...then it's to each their own!!! Hubster has no qualms about killing bugs...he'll squish one of these 50 pound roaches in a heartbeat! I'm too scared of them to kill them. They could carry away small children...ain't no way in heL LLLLL I'm steppin on that!!!

What? Seriously? they don't feel pain??? Can you show me proof of that? I'm really interested in reading about it. I thought every living object could feel pain. I mean, even flowers feel pain.....so surely insects do too, right???

Now, spiders...they aren't living...they are dead.... plain and simple...... (lol)

A quick search came up with this: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Entomology-Stud...s-feel-pain.htm I hope it's true!

Timeline

BUMPITY BUMP! We miss you Um squeakster

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, in my opinion....

Plants don't feel pain either. Response to stimuli (i.e. reflex) is not the same thing as experiencing pain.

There is some controversy on the subject - the question of whether lobsters feel pain (and whether boiling them is ethical) is a good example. Most of it seems to center around the philisophical question, "what is pain?". It is sort of a subjective concept. Short answer is that lacking a central nervous system, bugs and other invertebrates (and plants, of course) are incapable of feeling pain, as we know it.

Here is some reading: http://dels.nas.edu/ilar_n/ilarjournal/33_...2Question.shtml

Timeline

So hubby and I were watching the movie Stargate last night and I was thinking the whole time what if one day a worm-hole like device is discovered and once you walk through it you're in a world wherein the bugs are now as big as you and you are as small as the bugs. I wonder if they'd be saying to each other that we don't feel pain. :unsure: I really need to start worrying about other things. Maybe I'll go look at my kids' 529 account and flip out over that for a while. :P

Timeline

My daughter was in the bath earlier, playing quietly with her toys as she usually does... Hubby was in a bad mood over something else, and grumped to me that "it's bad to talk in the bathroom, because that's where Shaytan lives." I have heard that before, but I kind of just thought it pertained to not talking to people when you were actually doing bathroom business, not things like kids playing in the bath, singing in the shower, etc. Any thoughts on this?

Timeline
My daughter was in the bath earlier, playing quietly with her toys as she usually does... Hubby was in a bad mood over something else, and grumped to me that "it's bad to talk in the bathroom, because that's where Shaytan lives." I have heard that before, but I kind of just thought it pertained to not talking to people when you were actually doing bathroom business, not things like kids playing in the bath, singing in the shower, etc. Any thoughts on this?

My husband is the same way. Does your husband have kids of his own? Mine doesn't and I think that's the issue...he's never had to give a bath to a toddler/baby who doesn't know how to be quiet. :P My kids always used to sing songs in the tub :P It's just one of those things that either is going to change over time for him or you'll just have to deal with. It's not a biggie, you just have to wait to talk to him.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was complaining to Ahmed the other day because the owner of the Roof Cow across the street has not cleaned up the poop in the area where the cow is chained to for days, so the cow is being made to just lay in its own feces. It made me sad. Mostly because whenever I walk around in the apartment, the cow looks at me with its sad cow eyes. And then I go eat some kofta and wonder if the cow I'm eating had to wallow in its own poo and gave sad cow-eyes to somebody else before I ate it. :unsure:

awwww that is so sad! :( but you still finished your meal didn't you :)

Timeline

My husband is the same way. Does your husband have kids of his own? Mine doesn't and I think that's the issue...he's never had to give a bath to a toddler/baby who doesn't know how to be quiet. :P My kids always used to sing songs in the tub :P It's just one of those things that either is going to change over time for him or you'll just have to deal with. It's not a biggie, you just have to wait to talk to him.

No, he doesn't have kids of his own... He swears he has experience because he "has spent a lot of time around his nieces and nephews", and I try to explain to him that there is a BIG difference between spending a few consecutive days together with kids you love and then getting a break from them, and living with kids that are your own 24/7. Anyway, he didn't harp on it, so I'm sure it'll be ok, but I was just kind of :blink: because my daughter talks NONSTOP and I can't imagine a way, short of duct tape, that I could keep her from talking/singing/making noises while bathing :P The bathroom business.. yeah, we will work on that. Singing a made-up song about going potty while you are going potty is probably not necessary :wacko:

Oh yeah. I ate some more just now, too With the cow looking at me the whole time :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

No, he doesn't have kids of his own... He swears he has experience because he "has spent a lot of time around his nieces and nephews", and I try to explain to him that there is a BIG difference between spending a few consecutive days together with kids you love and then getting a break from them, and living with kids that are your own 24/7. Anyway, he didn't harp on it, so I'm sure it'll be ok, but I was just kind of :blink: because my daughter talks NONSTOP and I can't imagine a way, short of duct tape, that I could keep her from talking/singing/making noises while bathing :P The bathroom business.. yeah, we will work on that. Singing a made-up song about going potty while you are going potty is probably not necessary :wacko:

Oh yeah. I ate some more just now, too With the cow looking at me the whole time :P

:thumbs: i would've too lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.