nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
zakat....thats a nice topic.

Personally, I do it as I can. I try to find an organization to donate to...or if a natural disaster strikes donate to the red cross or something.

Speaking of zakat/charity, how do you guys deal with bums asking for money? Do you give them money or food or ignore them?

I always think a good place to start is by not calling them bums.

:rofl: perhaps...

but it does raise a good question. Does it count when we give to someone begging on the street??? I am one of those that "selects" her beggers. There are alot of them in Morocco my heart is with the children but I also know they know that too. But honestly, look at them... they are amazed when i give them 10 dhms. But just not sure it counts or not???

I personally don't give out money because some people are poor because they've spent it on drugs or sharab. Are they going to eat the money or something?! There are the ones who are in desperate need. I just give out food and offer water in a pot to wash their hands.

Edited by sarahaziz

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
I personally don't give out money because some people are poor because they've spent it on drugs or sharab. Are they going to eat the money or something?! There are the ones who are in desperate need. I just give out food and offer water in a pot to wash their hands.

Same here.... I usually ask them what they want from McD's if they ask me for money... if they place their order I'll run down to the store and get them something to eat but I've actually been told on more than one occassion that they don't want me to buy them anything, they just want the money. Since I'm pretty sure they just want it to buy cigs or beer, I don't give out money. If they were truly hungry, they'd tell me to get them a cheeseburger or something! :star:

As far as zakat, my husband pays that on our behalf every year.... whatever sadaqa I give other than that I don't tell him about unless it's from his money, and then I ask him first.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Same here.... I usually ask them what they want from McD's if they ask me for money... if they place their order I'll run down to the store and get them something to eat but I've actually been told on more than one occassion that they don't want me to buy them anything, they just want the money. Since I'm pretty sure they just want it to buy cigs or beer, I don't give out money. If they were truly hungry, they'd tell me to get them a cheeseburger or something! :star:

As far as zakat, my husband pays that on our behalf every year.... whatever sadaqa I give other than that I don't tell him about unless it's from his money, and then I ask him first.

I've never been rejected when someone wants food. They are always greatful but who knows what they do with it after I leave. Actually one time I did get turned down. I was in NY and I have actually seen the woman before. SHe is an old woman, says she's from Palestine. Speaks no English except the words "bomb, money," First time my friend and I were in Manhatten and she was hanging around the mosque. then she did want food and she rubbed her belly so we bought her a gyro. But then I was walking around Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn several months later. ANd she came up to me as I was walking out of the mosque. She said "Falisteen, bomb" and she uncovered a part of her chest/collarbone area and there sure was a big gash there. I don't know if she was really Palestinian becaues I know Palis would not throw their mother away in the middle of New York like that! But I don't pick up on the diallect as I don't speak arabic and I cannot ask her detailed questions. I pointed to the gyro place and said "gryro?" and she said "no, Queens, money". She wanted money to go to Queens. I said no, but I will give you food and kept pointing to halal places and offered her my unopened bottle of pepsi. but nope.....that still bothers me to this day. What could a old Pali woman be doing in the middle of NYC begging? Where is her family? And if she is not a Pali.....then that's even more sad because she's posing as one!:/

When my husband gets here, we will go to NYC. ANd maybe I will find her again (hehe I know she hangs out around the mosques around prayer time) and I will just have my husband talk to her:) He will know right away everything because he knows the accents of Palestine and he can speak arabic!

June 14, 2007 Sent I130 to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

June 15, 2007 Confirmed on usps.com that VSC has received packet

June 29, 2007 Check cashed by USCIS (hey they opened my packet!)

June 30, 2007 Received NOA1

July 7, 2007 I130 touched

July 9, 2007 I130 touched

July 10, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 24, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Oct. 1, 2007 On my way to Palestine

Oct. 5, 2007 I130 approved, transferrerd to NVC YAY!!!!

Oct. 16, 2007 Return to US, ranks one of the saddest day of my life:(

Oct. 27, 2007 Agent form/AOS bill received from NVC

Nov 1, 2007 Overnighted AOS payment to NVC

Nov. 29, 2007 Received AOS form from NVC

Dec. 20, 2007 overnighted I864 packet to NVC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaam/Hello

Well here in Algeria, the 'beggars' even go as far as to come to your door. Making it virtually impossible to turn them down! Generally, here also you can tell by them 'series beggars' who is legit and who is not! I have several times had these people just walk right into my home (reason why it is ALWAYS locked now) ... once one lady walked in on me in the shower! Waw, I had to give her 100 dinars just to leave my house!

I myself, give food and clothes more often then money! At least, this way I know that person is utilizing what I am giving them.

Donations of food and clothes are no longer excepted in the masjids thou. And this is shame. But elhamdullah there always people, needy outside the masjid willing to except "leftovers".

I tutor English for a small income, but do have a student who I tutor for free (sadaqa). Also I have been invited to tutor at an orphange in Draria, Algeria near Alger. This orphange has cancerous and orphanged children from birth to age 18, who have no outside contact with people, thus have no skills to use once throwed into society at age 18. There is also an organizations that is in the beginning stages here in Algeria as a form of free clinic (private doctors giving their time) as well as donation center for items like (unexpired) medications poorer people normally could not afford, eyeglasses and something new we are trying to get off is organizing an Eid gift drop for children! If anyone is interested in helping out, or can pass word along ... plz PM for further info! I am trying to get Algerians (and all people) living in the better off countries to help out!

Timeline
Esalaam/Hello

Well here in Algeria, the 'beggars' even go as far as to come to your door. Making it virtually impossible to turn them down! Generally, here also you can tell by them 'series beggars' who is legit and who is not! I have several times had these people just walk right into my home (reason why it is ALWAYS locked now) ... once one lady walked in on me in the shower! Waw, I had to give her 100 dinars just to leave my house!

I myself, give food and clothes more often then money! At least, this way I know that person is utilizing what I am giving them.

Donations of food and clothes are no longer excepted in the masjids thou. And this is shame. But elhamdullah there always people, needy outside the masjid willing to except "leftovers".

I tutor English for a small income, but do have a student who I tutor for free (sadaqa). Also I have been invited to tutor at an orphange in Draria, Algeria near Alger. This orphange has cancerous and orphanged children from birth to age 18, who have no outside contact with people, thus have no skills to use once throwed into society at age 18. There is also an organizations that is in the beginning stages here in Algeria as a form of free clinic (private doctors giving their time) as well as donation center for items like (unexpired) medications poorer people normally could not afford, eyeglasses and something new we are trying to get off is organizing an Eid gift drop for children! If anyone is interested in helping out, or can pass word along ... plz PM for further info! I am trying to get Algerians (and all people) living in the better off countries to help out!

Because of where my husband lives and my heart is with children I would love to see what I can do to help. I have some sisters here in the states that want to do something too but just don't know where to focus. I think what you're doing is wonderful Hamdolah I wish I could do something like that... pm me i'll talk to the sisters tonight and see what they have in mind.

Timeline

Esalaamu Aleikoum!

Jazak Allah kheirn (saha) Rajaa! Enchallah, if everyone does not mind I think I will post a thread. But I will also PM you with more details, enchallah you or others can help out! This is strictly charity ... I nor anyone else involved benefits from this (other then spiritually and ajr) I am sure donations would be tax deductable (accounts plz comment!) Ok soooo... I am going to conpile a post then post it!

Timeline
Esalaamu Aleikoum!

Jazak Allah kheirn (saha) Rajaa! Enchallah, if everyone does not mind I think I will post a thread. But I will also PM you with more details, enchallah you or others can help out! This is strictly charity ... I nor anyone else involved benefits from this (other then spiritually and ajr) I am sure donations would be tax deductable (accounts plz comment!) Ok soooo... I am going to conpile a post then post it!

good idea... you know I work at Fedex Kinkos and get 75% off shipping.... that might help us??

Esalaam/Hello

That is very very admirable not to mention respectable. :star:

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Timeline

Esalaamu Aleikoum,

Saba'kheir everyone! Sat up until midnight last night brainstorming and typing up a mission statement ... something more proper to post here. Enchallah once everyone on board reads throu what I wrote, then I will be able to post it enchallah!

I know here in Algeria life is not easy (but where is ?) but it really peeves to see people sitting around complaining and attacking the system from their cushy Lazy-boy chairs! Isn't it better to get your hands dirty and DO SOMETHING? Allahu allem ... but I feel I should! ... least try!

Timeline
Esalaamu Aleikoum,

Saba'kheir everyone! Sat up until midnight last night brainstorming and typing up a mission statement ... something more proper to post here. Enchallah once everyone on board reads throu what I wrote, then I will be able to post it enchallah!

I know here in Algeria life is not easy (but where is ?) but it really peeves to see people sitting around complaining and attacking the system from their cushy Lazy-boy chairs! Isn't it better to get your hands dirty and DO SOMETHING? Allahu allem ... but I feel I should! ... least try!

Sabah Iker... I agree it's hard to make a positive change when we all look to someone else to do it for us...

Have a good day.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Begging in the street is a profession in NYC. They live in apartments in the city and get up every morning and go to work, just like you or me. The most lucrative spots are on Broadway in NYC, they focus on the universities for steady income. You'd be surprised to see some of them get off the train, dressed regularly, then go into the subway restroom and change into their "uniform" begging clothes and hit the streets to make the income. It's pretty sad really. I don't give any money to beggars.

Bassi and I give regulary to a children's home in Kenya and then he likes to make visits to hospitals, nursing homes, orphanages, city missions things like that. Sometimes other things come up that we will give to if we have it. We do it as a family and it makes us feel closer. My daughter is only six, so it's mind boggling for her. At our visit to the city mission, she was amazed that there were children without mommies and daddies. She wanted to bring them all home with her.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline
Esalaamu Aleikoum,

Sabah Iker... I agree it's hard to make a positive change when we all look to someone else to do it for us...

Have a good day.

You have a good day too!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.