kf6wlb

Permanet Status Interview - Spouse attend?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have been helping some friends get thru all of these documents, both on their K-3 and now on their I-751. Knock on wood we have had very easy sailing thru the entire process. Heidi is from Guatemala and beginning to end it was 3.5 months from the start of paperwork for her K-3 till the time she arrived here in the states, No interview needed. No hitches, nothing off the wall. Time passed and they sent their paperwork in for the Change in Permanent Status on 4-19-08. They cashed the check 3 days later, sent her a letter saying all was fine and that she needed to get biometrics and then will have an interview within one year (assuming because she didn't have one initially). On May 15th they recieved a letter that the interview has been scheduled for May 27th - essentially 5 weeks from the time paperwork is submitted to interview date. From what we read in the forums this seems highly unusual. Her husband has a meeting that day that would be difficult to resechedule and so her father in law was planning on driving her to the appointment. Does anyone know if this will be a problem with her husband not attending?

Thanks for light someone can shed on this.

For background and tracking purposes - They mailed stuff to the California center and her interview is in Santa Barbara.

Edited by kf6wlb

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
I have been helping some friends get thru all of these documents, both on their K-3 and now on their I-751. Knock on wood we have had very easy sailing thru the entire process. Heidi is from Guatemala and beginning to end it was 3.5 months from the start of paperwork for her K-3 till the time she arrived here in the states, No interview needed. No hitches, nothing off the wall. Time passed and they sent their paperwork in for the Change in Permanent Status on 4-19-08. They cashed the check 3 days later, sent her a letter saying all was fine and that she needed to get biometrics and then will have an interview within one year (assuming because she didn't have one initially). On May 15th they recieved a letter that the interview has been scheduled for May 27th - essentially 5 weeks from the time paperwork is submitted to interview date. From what we read in the forums this seems highly unusual. Her husband has a meeting that day that would be difficult to resechedule and so her father in law was planning on driving her to the appointment. Does anyone know if this will be a problem with her husband not attending?

Thanks for light someone can shed on this.

For background and tracking purposes - They mailed stuff to the California center and her interview is in Santa Barbara.

Tell them to reschedule!!!!!! I would not go to an interview without husband...... Do not recommend that!!!!!!!!!

06/28/2004. Happily Married in Miami Florida.

09/??/2004 Send I-130, 486 Package and ETC. for AOS

01/??/05 Workers permit received.

Got Social Security Card!!!

08/29/2005 Interview went awesome!

09/??/2005 Green Card arrived!!!!!!!! YUPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Removal of Conditions:

06/01/2007 Send package to TEXAS Service Center

06/07/2007 Received NOA

09/20/2007 Went to get an stamp, denied stamp at the Miami USCIS Office =(

01/31/2008 Transfer to Vermont Service Center (after almost 8 months!)

02/22/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.

02/26/2008 This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred. (Last Touched)

07/01/2008 : still waiting for a miracle after 390 days of suffering....

07/02/2008: Infopass Appointment. passport Stamp....

07/03/2008: Incredible!!!! Card Production Ordered!!!!!!

07/04/2008: Touched. Duplicate email Card Production Order

07/07/2008: Touched

07/08/2008: Touched. Email with notice of approval

07/09/2008: Touched again!

07/11/2008: CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!!! THANKS!!!! WELLCOME IMMIGRANT LETTER!!! :P

Naturalization Process:

06/23/2010: 06/23/2010 - Send N400 after 5 years of permanent residency. Good luck !

I'm a bit confused. Did they go straight from a K3 to filing the I-751? Or did they first file for AOS and currently have the green card?

Regardless, whichever application the interview is for, she and her husband have to be both there. If her husband does not appear, she runs the risk of being disapproved.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Timeline
I'm a bit confused. Did they go straight from a K3 to filing the I-751? Or did they first file for AOS and currently have the green card?

Regardless, whichever application the interview is for, she and her husband have to be both there. If her husband does not appear, she runs the risk of being disapproved.

I apologize, no she applied for the AOS and currently has her green card. She had no interview for the AOS petition.

I apologize, no she applied for the AOS and currently has her green card. She had no interview for the AOS petition.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

And yes, her husband really needs to be at the interview too.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Absolutely her husband has to be there. It is a joint application - if he does not attend then there is a good chance that they will deny the petition because they will view it as him failing to support the application and think that there is a problem with the legitimacy of their marriage. I would seriously have him reschedule his work appointment - it will be a lot easier to reschedule - and probably not nearly as crucial to their future happiness and life together in the US as the I-751 interview.

Yes, 5 weeks is an incredibly quick time, but California is processing these application light years faster than any other service center.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.