chri'stina

Prince Caspian

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

My family saw it and all loved it. My friend who also has read the books a million times said it was really good but of course has some things that are not accurate. But every book turned movie does. It can be annoying, why can't they leave it be. But still she said it was wonderful.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah the first one wasn't entirely accurate either but they did pretty good...

I think it is because they could never possibly fit the entire book into one movie.. the movie would be a few hours long.. so they sometimes take shortcuts and stuff to get to from one plot point to the next...

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Keltic, if you are interested in Lewis, may I suggest Shadowlands? It's about Lewis's marriage to Joy Gresham, her death, and how he dealt with it. It's very moving.

Also, slightly OT, but about 2 weeks ago my daughter (also 9) and I found the box set of the Chronicles from the 60s (remember the white box with the bright illustrations on the box and books?) in a Salvation Army store here in almost mint condition....for $1.49!!!!!! It's her most prized possession now. :)

thanks for the suggestion... i have seen it already tho... and shadowlands was wonderful...

i remember those!!!! wow, she should hold on to them!!

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My family saw it and all loved it. My friend who also has read the books a million times said it was really good but of course has some things that are not accurate. But every book turned movie does. It can be annoying, why can't they leave it be. But still she said it was wonderful.

There were LOTR purists who were incensed when they heard Tom Bombadil was being cut out of the movie. As if they could have actually filmed that weirdness.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

my son saw this movie over the weekend and he is still talking about it...he said that it is action packed (12 yr olds perspective ) :)

To Blessed to be stressed:) I realize that all things have a purpose and a time.....have faith and the Lord Almighty will provide... when the time is right, he NEVER fails!

Timeline

There were LOTR purists who were incensed when they heard Tom Bombadil was being cut out of the movie. As if they could have actually filmed that weirdness.

:lol: I didn't make it too much farther in the book past that.

I wonder if they are ever going to make The Hobbit into a movie? Though they should have made that one first...

Like others who said the books changed the way they felt about reading, it's true for me too. My aunt and cousin(the same age as me) are the ones who really introduced me to the books. My dad had read some of them and liked them, but he had kinda forgotten about it. I started reading them and it was so exciting for me. So they definitely have a warm place in my heart and I have read them over and over as well. I hope that Kavi will love them one day like I do. Sujeet isn't a big reader(he'd rather look through a techie book hehe), but he loved the first movie and I am sure he'll like this one too. I got one our nieces in India into the books though, and she read them all and loved them. He had brought it with him on one of his trips, the huge book that contained all 7 books in it.

keltic-I have been a huge fan of CS Lewis during my life hehe. I have 2 different biographies, some of his theological works, and I liked Shadowlands too. I can't get enough. I just really connect to the way he explains things whether fiction or religion. Have you read the space trilogy?

jundp-I bet it is so exciting to see your kids like something you have liked for a long time.

Anyone read any George MacDonald books? CS Lewis gives him some credit for feeding his imagination. Like Phantastes...I read it because CS Lewis said he loved it, but it was way over my head and mind boggling for me. Lilith was crazy too IMO. I did like the easier to understand, cute fantasy stories The Princess and the Goblin, and The Princess and Curdie(its sequel). I sent those over to India too. I wish I would have known about them as a kid. There are some really cute short stories too.

i will have to check these out... thanks!!

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

I wonder if they are ever going to make The Hobbit into a movie? Though they should have made that one first...

Yes, The Hobbit is in the works. Supposed to be two movies, with the second one focusing on the period between The Hobbit and LOTR.

Like others who said the books changed the way they felt about reading, it's true for me too. My aunt and cousin(the same age as me) are the ones who really introduced me to the books. My dad had read some of them and liked them, but he had kinda forgotten about it. I started reading them and it was so exciting for me. So they definitely have a warm place in my heart and I have read them over and over as well. I hope that Kavi will love them one day like I do. Sujeet isn't a big reader(he'd rather look through a techie book hehe), but he loved the first movie and I am sure he'll like this one too. I got one our nieces in India into the books though, and she read them all and loved them. He had brought it with him on one of his trips, the huge book that contained all 7 books in it.

keltic-I have been a huge fan of CS Lewis during my life hehe. I have 2 different biographies, some of his theological works, and I liked Shadowlands too. I can't get enough. I just really connect to the way he explains things whether fiction or religion. Have you read the space trilogy?

jundp-I bet it is so exciting to see your kids like something you have liked for a long time.

Anyone read any George MacDonald books? CS Lewis gives him some credit for feeding his imagination. Like Phantastes...I read it because CS Lewis said he loved it, but it was way over my head and mind boggling for me. Lilith was crazy too IMO. I did like the easier to understand, cute fantasy stories The Princess and the Goblin, and The Princess and Curdie(its sequel). I sent those over to India too. I wish I would have known about them as a kid. There are some really cute short stories too.

I have several MacDonald books, including Lilith, Phantastes and four books of short stories, as well as Lewis' MacDonald anthology. The evil queen in Lilith is clearly Lewis' inspiration for the White Witch.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Have you read the news on that though? The plan is to make the Hobbit in two movies with some sort of new story cobbled together from Tolkiens appendices to bridge the gap between the Hobbit and LOTR.

Bombadil is weird and very twee - too much so to expect a mainstream audience to make any more sense of it other than that he lives in the forest and apparently eats lots of magic mushrooms. Treebeard is worse IMO.

I do like LOTR - but those episodes in particular really do slow things down. Even in the movie that's a bit of a low point.

My only complaint about this movie is that it should have been about 10 - 15 minutes longer in order to develop the importance of some of the characters and the story line that has to be surmised based upon the chain of events. Other than that, KUDOS... :thumbs:

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Timeline

Finally saw the movie today. :)

I liked it a lot, and felt a little teary at the end. But I couldn't help but be a little bit bummed out at how much they changed from the book, a lot more than they did in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe. They left out some great stuff and added in tons of stuff not in the book.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Finally saw the movie today. :)

I liked it a lot, and felt a little teary at the end. But I couldn't help but be a little bit bummed out at how much they changed from the book, a lot more than they did in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe. They left out some great stuff and added in tons of stuff not in the book.

I liked it very much too, and found it overall retained the spirit of the book, though there were significant alterations.

A few places had me saying, "huh?" and pretty much everything that happend in the castle after the first scene had me completely lost, since none of it is even hinted at in the book. The battle scenes were all very well done though, and I do think the decision to expand that part for the movie was good. Lewis indicates that there were battles, but mostly as a passing reference in a few sentences. At the scene in the castle where Caspian holds his sword at Miraz' throat, a friend in our viewing group wanted to say, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die" :P The champion battle between Peter and Miraz was well done, and stuck to the book rather closely. It was much better than in the BBC tv version some years ago. In that, Peter spends much of the time running away from Miraz, giving no hint that he was supposed to be the noble High King and skilled in battle.

There were some changes/omissions that did bother me. The conflict between Peter and Caspian was out of place; Caspian was supposed to be in awe of the Pevensies, having heard tales of them and Old Narnia since he was a boy.

Aslan's role is rather diminished. In the book, he isn't just lying around in the forest while the battles are going on till Lucy comes looking for him at the Narnians most dire hour. He went with Susan and Lucy to the town of Beruna, called upon Bacchus to destroy the bridge that was trapping the river god, terrorised the "bad" residents, and gathered the rest with them.

It's probably a more minor point, but when Lucy first saw Aslan while the others slept, she wasn't originally dreaming. And it took me a bit to realize that when she was with Aslan in the daylight that it was a dream, and the others hadn't actually overslept...

When Aslan restores Reepicheep's tail, Aslan says it is because of his people's love for him, displayed in their

willingness to cut off their own tails if Reepicheep's isn't restored. But the movie leaves out Aslan's second reason: Reepicheep's ancestors had chewed through the ropes which bound Aslan to the Stone Table. And it was from that time that mice became talking animals.

Another line that is cut occurs after Aslan tells Caspian how the Telmarines came to be in Narnia. Caspian says he wishes he had a more honourable lineage. Aslan tells him, "You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest in earth. Be content." Somehow, I knew that wouldn't be in there, but I was hoping...

I do hope that when the next movie is made, they will do some really daring, out-of-the box thinking and actually stick with the book ;)

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Timeline

Scott,

I missed your reply and only now saw it!

I agree with everything you said. Like I said I was a bit bummed out by changes made.

I loved in the book when Lucy sees Aslan in the middle of the night, on the way calling to the trees to come alive. Yeah, it wasn't in a dream like in the movie. And then the kids all saw him before the battles, not after. And I loved the part in the book about Lucy and Susan riding on his back going across the country helping people(you mentioned it too). It would have been touching to see portrayed on screen.

I agree that the Caspian Peter thing was not needed, since it didn't exist! And what about the Witch needing one drop of Adam's blood? Didn't exist. And it was after the scuffle about the witch that Caspian met Peter and Edmund, not before. And what about the kiss? haha.

Yeah, there was more Aslan in the book.

I do hope the next will be a little more true to the book like the first movie, which had a few changes but nothing major like Prince Caspian.

Edited by stina&suj