JonasMichaels

Birth Certificate worries and Name Change

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi all, I'm Jonas and just starting out on this journey :blink:

Had a quick question. I was just going to send in my passport pages as the instruction say you can send EITHER your passport or birth certificate. I am a Caucasian American.

However, I am concerned after reading this site that at the interview, I will be asked to submit my birth certificate anyway. About 11 years ago, I legally changed my name, first middle and last. I do have documentation of that. My passport name is not the same name on my birth certificate.

My question to VJ was this: Would it be best to send my birth certificate with name change documentation to the USCIS or wait until I am asked for it? I was just a little concerned it would make me look like a "seedy character" :innocent:

I am very thankful to have this site and thank everyone for their contribution.

Jonas

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
However, I am concerned after reading this site that at the interview, I will be asked to submit my birth certificate anyway.

The purpose of the document is to establish that you are a USC.... your passport does that quite well....

Once the petition is approved there is no secondary adjudication by a foreeign consulate officer.... If there are questions about the validity of you US citizenship it will be resolved long before it gets to the interview stage (because the petition cannot be approved if there is a question)....

While it is said on VJ by many that the CO can ask for any original document... I have not read anywhere here, where an original document was requested of the USC (where a copy was provided with the initial petition) at the consulate interview.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
However, I am concerned after reading this site that at the interview, I will be asked to submit my birth certificate anyway.

The purpose of the document is to establish that you are a USC.... your passport does that quite well....

Once the petition is approved there is no secondary adjudication by a foreeign consulate officer.... If there are questions about the validity of you US citizenship it will be resolved long before it gets to the interview stage (because the petition cannot be approved if there is a question)....

While it is said on VJ by many that the CO can ask for any original document... I have not read anywhere here, where an original document was requested of the USC (where a copy was provided with the initial petition) at the consulate interview.

Yes, a photocopy of all pages (even the blank ones) of your US passport would be the simplest way to give evidence of US Citizenship.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

If it were me, I'd send my birth certificate, proof of legal name change (in your case, the court order), and copies of all pages of my passport.

Since you have all the documentation at hand, why wouldn't you just send it up front?

Don't second guess... best to avoid a long delay due to an RFE by just sending it now. :yes:

Legal name changes are not so unusual that it would seem "seedy". People have all sorts of personal reasons for changing their names. Women must send the same proof to prove they had changed their name after a previous marraige. I had to send in my birth certificate, previous marraige certificate, and current passport to prove my name change.

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.