matty1966

Work Authorisation

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys,

Been hearing conflicting opinions regarding the EAD. Some say its 2 months some 3 and one case 5.

And does coming via JFK make a difference?? Am I mistaken when people say you can get a stamp on arrival. Is this the actual work permit or no??

I have a job lined up for when im back so I'm trying to work out if I can start straight away or not. Is there any penalties for working while your waiting for your EAD even if the employer isnt 'paying' you, if you see what I mean.

Thanks in advance

Timeline
Hi guys,

Been hearing conflicting opinions regarding the EAD. Some say its 2 months some 3 and one case 5.

And does coming via JFK make a difference?? Am I mistaken when people say you can get a stamp on arrival. Is this the actual work permit or no??

I have a job lined up for when im back so I'm trying to work out if I can start straight away or not. Is there any penalties for working while your waiting for your EAD even if the employer isnt 'paying' you, if you see what I mean.

Forgot to mention, I already have a SSN and a bank account as I worked in the states last year, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Filed: Timeline

The temp EAD stamp that you can get at JFK POE is valid for only 90 days then you would not be able to work. The EAD that you apply for along with your AOS is valid for 1 year and takes approx 2 - 3 months to get.

You can not do a job that would normally be paid without pay because you dont have authorization to work, it is still work.

Jon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Yes working without your EAD will result in penalties which could mean you may never receive an EAD.

(However we all know there are a lot doing it unfortunately)

From what I understand the EAD given at the JFK is valid for a good 3 months, and the EAD that you receive when applying for a Green Card is valid for 1 year and that one you can renew.

Edited by BigCityDave

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

If you fly through JFK you can ask them to stamp your passport to work. It only lasts 90 days. As for earning money without a work pemit, i think thats a no go lol.

beach_1_001.jpg

Timeline
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

Yes working without your EAD will result in penalties which could mean you may never receive an EAD.

From what I understand the EAD given at the JFK is valid for a good 3 months, and the EAD that you receive when applying for a Green Card is valid for 1 year and that one you can renew.

Im still confused. Would this work??.

I arrive, get married immediatly and apply for proper EAD. in the mean time I work on my tempory EAD thats valid for 90 days?? After the 90 days is up, i stop working until the proper ones come through??

or does the tempory one become invalid once your married and youve applied for AOS??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you fly through JFK you can ask them to stamp your passport to work.

The stamp is on the I-94, not the passport.....

YMMV

If you fly through JFK you can ask them to stamp your passport to work.

The stamp is on the I-94, not the passport.....

Woops. Sorry about that. I ment the I-94

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

I arrive, get married immediatly and apply for proper EAD. in the mean time I work on my tempory EAD thats valid for 90 days?? After the 90 days is up, i stop working until the proper ones come through??

or does the tempory one become invalid once your married and youve applied for AOS??

The 90 days EAD is valid for 90 days from the date of entry. It does not expire when you get married or when you file for AOS, and yes you could work for the 90 days then stop and restart when you get the 1 year EAD.

Timeline
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance

The 90 days EAD is valid for 90 days from the date of entry. It does not expire when you get married or when you file for AOS, and yes you could work for the 90 days then stop and restart when you get the 1 year EAD.

Nice one, thats a weight of my mind. Thanks for clearing that up. take care all:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.