HikerMark

Tdap Vaccination

21 posts in this topic

Has anybody had this vaccination at their local GP on the NHS. It is the combined Tetanus, diptheria and pertussis(whooping cough) vaccination now required for everybody aged 10 to 64. Before they only needed Td.

My practice nurse says she can't get it and has referred me to be an outfit called The Master Clinic to see if they can do it. It certainly doesn't appear to be a regular vaccination for adults in the UK but is now recommended for all adults in the US.

Unless others have managed to get it done on the NHS I'll bring proof of my up to date Td to the medical and if they still require the Tdap get them to do it for the £25 they quote on their price list. My practice nurse is already charging me for the MMR.

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I've only just noticed that I am not vaccinated against Pertusis.

I got 2 vaccinations on the NHS before I met a trip to Hong Kong. They were revaxis, which is Diphtheria, tetanus and polio. And another which was Hep A and Typhoid combined. When I went to the medical they only said that I needed the MMR and the HPV vaccine. Both of which I had already arranged to have on the NHS.

I was approved and have the visa in hand. AND my visa was a CR-1 it wasn't approved on the basis that I have the vaccine by AOS, cos I'm not doing AOS. Don't know if that helps, but that's what happened to me. :star:

The UK Wiki

Yep, Bruce didn't get the Pertussis done either, but since he too got the CR1 and has been living in the States for 9 months, I think it could be at the discretion of the doctor. Or perhaps they don't realise that it's missing when they sign off on the vaccinations sheet? Weird.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Glyn also didn't get the pertussis. They gave him the other with the polio in it. No problems so far. They gave us the paper at Knightbridge that said all his jabs are up to date.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: Timeline

Tdap stands for Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio .... not pertussis

This is the normal combined vaccine which is available from your GP as a standard UK requirement ..... no fee.

A few years ago it was just Tetanus and Diptheria as a separate jab and the Polio was given on a sugar cube. Now it's all thrown in together.

MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella) is also a standard vaccine and I'm surprised anyone is being charged for it as the NHS should cover this too.

The Pertussis (whooping cough) is for kids and is not a requirement for adults.

Edited by KipandSarahJayne

Tdap stands for Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio .... not pertussis

This is the normal combined vaccine which is available from your GP as a standard UK requirement ..... no fee.

A few years ago it was just Tetanus and Diptheria as a separate jab and the Polio was given on a sugar cube. Now it's all thrown in together.

No, it is definitely P for Pertussis. Polio is dealt with separately, and is not a requirement for adults to get the visa.

See here: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-...-Td-DT/tdap.htm

Edited to add: Bruce's did have polio thrown in, but I think this is UK-specific in the jab. The US is interested in pertussis on the Tdap, so why all of us are getting through without it is a bit odd.

Edited by elmcitymaven

Filed: Timeline

Tdap according to my GP is Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio (a combined vaccine) .... had my top up the other week with the MMR ... all free .... and gave me the print off on headed paper and a signature of all my vaccines from year dot.

Nurse also confirmed to me what it was too as I asked for the usual sugar lump thinking the polio was still separate ..... no pertussis in the vaccine mentioned.

The triple with the pertussis a few years back was found to possibly cause autism in kids and so maybe that's why it's difficult to find.

As the UK medical is done by UK doctors, maybe they only see Tdap and are thinking the same as my GP, therefore the UK people are getting through without the pertussis.

Pertussis for adults is just strange anyway, it's for kids.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline
Has anybody had this vaccination at their local GP on the NHS. It is the combined Tetanus, diptheria and pertussis(whooping cough) vaccination now required for everybody aged 10 to 64. Before they only needed Td.

My practice nurse says she can't get it and has referred me to be an outfit called The Master Clinic to see if they can do it. It certainly doesn't appear to be a regular vaccination for adults in the UK but is now recommended for all adults in the US.

Unless others have managed to get it done on the NHS I'll bring proof of my up to date Td to the medical and if they still require the Tdap get them to do it for the £25 they quote on their price list. My practice nurse is already charging me for the MMR.

That's really peculiar, unless it differs from NHS Trust to NHS Trust.

I rang up my GP's office, said I needed jabs for emigrating, we quickly flicked through that list from the Embassy page and decided it was definitely just Tdap and MMR I needed, scheduled an appointment and that was that. Had them about a week later and wasn't charged a penny.

The nurse had a fridge full of MMR, MMR2 (the adult version) and Tdap, as well as other stuff.

Stu

Edited by SMB x2

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

Timeline

I had to pay a prescription fee for my HPV (but that was wayyyyyy cheaper than having it done privatly, which I thought was going to be my fate). But I didn't even have to pay that for the MMR. It was completely free.

And yeah, no one tell the embassy that Knightsbridge are letting us slip through without Pertussis :ph34r:

The UK Wiki

Oops looks like I have opened a can of worms here. :)

To be fair, Knightsbridge must already know about it because they have Diptheria, tetanus and pertussis listed as one of the injections they can give at the medical. Of course this may be the DTP or DTaP which is given to kids not adults.

I'm also wondering if Tdap is like the varicella injection in that it is not readily available in the UK and so Knightsbridge have to pass everybody with just the Td.

Anyway I will get the MMR done by the GP and get a certified print out of all the jabs I have had and leave it to Knighsbridge to decide if I need anything extra.

The background to Tdap is that the US authorities approved the first vaccines in 2005 because they have been concerned about an increasing incidence of whooping cough amongst adults which in turn can infect children.

I just love this immigration application journey with all its twists and turns....... not. :)

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

not sure if this will help - but on Embassy Website it does state

Important notice: Fiancé(e) visa applicants and those applying for the K-ii or V visa will be required to meet the vaccination requirement at the time of their application for an adjustment of status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States.

so ti maybe that the Pertussis is needed for that and if so can be done in the US

check out my time line and dont forget to update yours too :D

Timeline

I'm afraid that doesn't solve the mystery because several of us have CR-1 visas, meaning no AOS.

Not sure what happens to a non-pertusiss vaccinated K-1 holder at the time of AOS, but I haven't heard on anyone needing to get it then.

The UK Wiki

Important notice: Fiancé(e) visa applicants and those applying for the K-ii or V visa will be required to meet the vaccination requirement at the time of their application for an adjustment of status with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the United States.

so ti maybe that the Pertussis is needed for that and if so can be done in the US

You would think...but I haven't heard of anyone on the UK sub-forum being asked to get pertussis done when doing AOS, having already had the UK version of Tdap. And Poiteen and my husband both got CR1 visas -- they had to fulfill all the vaccination requirements before being allowed entry.

Here's what I think: the US Embassy has absolutely no clue that the US and UK Tdap jabs are not one and the same. Unlike the varicella exception for the UK, it is not set out on the website that pertussis is unavailable (if indeed it is, which I doubt) so UK applicants either don't need it or need to have it done in America.

It is interesting! Or am I just a nerd?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You would think...but I haven't heard of anyone on the UK sub-forum being asked to get pertussis done when doing AOS, having already had the UK version of Tdap. And Poiteen and my husband both got CR1 visas -- they had to fulfill all the vaccination requirements before being allowed entry.

Here's what I think: the US Embassy has absolutely no clue that the US and UK Tdap jabs are not one and the same. Unlike the varicella exception for the UK, it is not set out on the website that pertussis is unavailable (if indeed it is, which I doubt) so UK applicants either don't need it or need to have it done in America.

It is interesting! Or am I just a nerd?

Yeah it is interesting - i saw my nurse today with the list of the vaccinations and shes gone away to investigate the abbreviations of td/tdap as she wasnt sure as the tetanus diphtheria and polio are normally called dtp or dtap here that one was above it on the vaccination list, she is gonna try and get back to me tomorrow, so if she finds out i will let you know :D

and my apologies for not realizing was a CR1 visa query too :( guess i spent too much time in the K1 forum - sorry guys

check out my time line and dont forget to update yours too :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.