Oasis

mexican - permanent resident questions

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am new to this board and I don’t even know where to beginn:

I am originally from Germany but live in the USA since 1990. I am a permanent resident allien since 1991.

I had planned on getting my dual citizenship but I was denied from the german consulate. :help:

Now comes the tricky part: My boyfriend is mexican, lives in Mexico ( I am currently in the US) and we plan on getting married. He applied for a Tourist Visa so he can come and visit me…in the meantime I am traveling to Mexico – again – to visit him.

We are planning our future together and we decided that we want to live in the US if possible. Does anyone know if he can apply for a greencard once we are married since I am only a permanent resident? I also considered applying for my US Citizenship again to make things easier or should we maybe wait to get married until I have my Citizenship??

I am confused and I don’t really know where to go and ask… cant go to the INS and ask..hehe… I just know that I love this guy and that I want to be with him … so if anyone is in the same situation then me I appreciate suggestions

Thanks 

Greencard Holder since 1991

August 2006: Approved for Dual Citizenship from the German Consulate

I am officially now a Dual Citizen :)))

07.06.09 sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center for Mr Brazil

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

02.23.10 Visa Interview - Rio de Janeiro-Visa denied

03.11.10 case cent back to VSC

Second Round:

04.19.10 Sent new petition to Vermont Service Center

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

10.XX.10: Decide to split with my fiance and set in a withdraw letter to VSC

10.25.10: NOA2 - to my surprise but it does not matter anymore

11.18.10: Withdraw of my petition is final - The End of my Immigration Journey :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. As a LPR you can file for a spouse but you have a 5 year or so wait.

2. As a USC you can file for a spouse with no wait.

3. There are certain requirements to be met to maintain German Citizenship as well, whether you can depends on your circumstances.

Best to post just once, gets confusing otherwise.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1. As a LPR you can file for a spouse but you have a 5 year or so wait.

2. As a USC you can file for a spouse with no wait.

3. There are certain requirements to be met to maintain German Citizenship as well, whether you can depends on your circumstances.

Best to post just once, gets confusing otherwise.

That sounds like a very ver long time.

Maybe its best if I apply for my citizenship.. do you know how long it takes then ?

Thanks for your help

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

11.18.10: Withdraw of my petition is final - The End of my Immigration Journey :)

Timeline

That depends on where you live, what their backlog is and how often they have Naturalisation ceremonies.

Months rather than years.

And you can have your Fiancee petition, or spouse petition ready to go as soon as you have your Certificate.

But however long it is, the sooner you start the better.

It is all on the USCIS site, there is a test involved but with a bit of homework it is pretty simple.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
That depends on where you live, what their backlog is and how often they have Naturalisation ceremonies.

And you can have your Fiancee petition, or spouse petition ready to go as soon as you have your Certificate.

It is all on the USCIS site, there is a test involved but with a bit of homework it is pretty simple.

So you think we should wait to get married until I have my Citizenship ? I live in MA by the way so I assuming my papers will go thru Vermont.

What do you mean by Financee petition or spouse petition..? Meaning his papers to apply for a greencard or Visa to come to the US ?

Also do you know where I can find info on Visa's coming to the US.

They say its difficult to apply for a visa from Mexico. That you have to have $$$$ in the bank, own a house and so on, just to get a tourist visa. I been searching allover for this but cant find any info.. ? Any ideas ?

Thanks a bunch you been really helpful. :yes:

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So you think we should wait to get married until I have my Citizenship ? I live in MA by the way so I assuming my papers will go thru Vermont.

What do you mean by Financee petition or spouse petition..? Meaning his papers to apply for a greencard or Visa to come to the US ?

They say its difficult to apply for a visa from Mexico. That you have to have $$$$ in the bank, own a house and so on, just to get a tourist visa. I been searching allover for this but cant find any info.. ? Any ideas ?

hi, here's some info for you to consider...

Germans can hold dual citizenship. There has been a lot written on that topic in this site; you have to register something with Germany first (check the Citizenship Forum and don't forget the archives).

USCIS is holding pretty close to their pledge to get Naturalizations thru within 6 months cross the country. You can check the timeline for your District Office to see what they've been doing.

As a USC, you can petition for either your *fiance* or your sposue to come to the US. The fiance petition is faster for getting them into the US, slower to the Green Card itself. Work and travel authorizations take some time.

For *Mexico* the wait for a spouse visa interview is pushing one year right now. There are no similar delays for fiance visa appointments.

A tourist visa is very difficult for a young Mexican man to get. He must apply in his own right and demonstrate significant ties to Mexico---assure them that he will return as promised. A close friend of mine had been trying for three years to get a B visa (he finally did) and he owns a business in Mexico and has children (no real estate tho).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Germans can hold dual citizenship. There has been a lot written on that topic in this site; you have to register something with Germany first (check the Citizenship Forum and don't forget the archives).

USCIS is holding pretty close to their pledge to get Naturalizations thru within 6 months cross the country. You can check the timeline for your District Office to see what they've been doing.

As a USC, you can petition for either your *fiance* or your sposue to come to the US. The fiance petition is faster for getting them into the US, slower to the Green Card itself. Work and travel authorizations take some time.

For *Mexico* the wait for a spouse visa interview is pushing one year right now. There are no similar delays for fiance visa appointments.

A tourist visa is very difficult for a young Mexican man to get. He must apply in his own right and demonstrate significant ties to Mexico---assure them that he will return as promised. A close friend of mine had been trying for three years to get a B visa (he finally did) and he owns a business in Mexico and has children (no real estate tho).

Do you mean apply for the Fiancee petition while I still have my greencard ? I thought you have to be a Citizen to do that ? If thats possible what is the form called ? Could I start with that and in the meantime I do my citizenship and then just update my status...and somehow in between get married ??

I am just trying to figure out what the best way is ?

Thanks for you help

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

Timeline

Do you mean apply for the Fiancee petition while I still have my greencard ? I thought you have to be a Citizen to do that ? If thats possible what is the form called ? Could I start with that and in the meantime I do my citizenship and then just update my status...and somehow in between get married ??

Thanks for you help

You can only apply for a Fiancee Visa if you are a USC.

You can apply for a Spousal Visa as a LPR and upgrade when you obtain your Citizenship, sometimes suggested as a good idea in case there is a reason why you might have issues getting naturalised.

You can get married at any time. Depends what is more important to you.

Probably easier for you to move to Mexico, or both of you to move to Germany.

Depends what you wnat the outcome to be.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for you help

No, you understood correctly before; only a USC (US citizen) can petition for a fiance. I'm pointing out that if you add in the delay for getting your citizenship sorted out, a fiance visa MAY be a faster way to get him to the US. Much depends on how fast he needs work and travel permission and how soon you two must get married for your own personal reasons. Personal reasons should *never* over rule immigration, IMO. Marry when and where you want if it is important to you.

It's hard to figure out the best way, but I think everyone can agree that you getting naturalized is going to be 'best' in the long run---get that underway first. You can't petition for him as a spouse right now (while you are LPR) because you're not married yet.

One step at a time. :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Hi.. I could totally relate in your situation... my husband is an LPR and he would be able to gain citizenship after 5 yrs from now since he just recently got his greencard.

The moment he got his greencard, we decided to get married for us to be able to work on our papers ASAP.

Husband filed I-130 and g-325A. In the moment if u plan to get married wyl ur a LPR ur husband(if u plan to marry) would be in the F2A category (wherein there would be 4-5 yrs waiting time to have a visa avaialbe).

The moment my husband becomes elgible to have CITIZENSHIP he would then apply for adjustment so that my category would be "IMMEDIATE"

Boiler is ryt.. in some ways it is good to file the petition earlier and have the petition adjusted just in case Naturalization had conflicts...

And by the way as an LPR u could only file a petition for ur spouse & umarried children. U are not allowed to file a petition for a fiance.

I hope this would help you.

-hubby got his greencard since April 2005

-hubby went back to Philippines June 2005 - April 2006 (to finish schooling)

-Married last December 2006 in Philippines

-hubby went back to US April 3, 2006

-Filed I-130 June 2006

-Received NOA 1 July 2006

-Hubby visited me in Philippines December 2006 - January 2007

waiting in vain...

Timeline

Thanks for you help

No, you understood correctly before; only a USC (US citizen) can petition for a fiance. I'm pointing out that if you add in the delay for getting your citizenship sorted out, a fiance visa MAY be a faster way to get him to the US. Much depends on how fast he needs work and travel permission and how soon you two must get married for your own personal reasons. Personal reasons should *never* over rule immigration, IMO. Marry when and where you want if it is important to you.

It's hard to figure out the best way, but I think everyone can agree that you getting naturalized is going to be 'best' in the long run---get that underway first. You can't petition for him as a spouse right now (while you are LPR) because you're not married yet.

One step at a time. :)

So what if we do this:

We get married now, I could petition for him as a spouse while I am on my greencard. In the meantime I go and do my citizenship, once I have it I change is petition to a K3 ? Would that be a fast way ? But if I am understanding this correctly, if you get married first and then apply for a K3 it takes longer... ?

This all sounds confusing but I am in love and we just want to be together wherever it will be on earth :yes:

Thanks to all of you, you guys been really helpful :thumbs:

07.09.09 NOA1

12.11.09 NOA2

Second Round:

04.21.10 NOA1

04.23.10 check cashed

07.16.10 touched

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.