8 posts in this topic

Had my interview today, at Fairfax, VA district office and not only were we approved by a superbly professional interviewing officer, I received the ADIT I-551 stamp in my passport. Highly surprising, and fortuitous. :dance:(L):wow:

It's been a loooooooooong journey, with major ups and downs, but finally, we've reached the surface of the ever deep abyss that is the immigration process. Below is the review:

Today, we had our interview for Adjustment of Status at the Fairfax, VA district office. Our appointment was for 1:30, and we arrived around 1:00. We had to wait in line to go through security, which was a bit hectic (a lot of people in line and several people asking if they could cut in line b/c they just wanted to ask security guard for forms or something), but eventually got through it and upstairs to the interview waiting room by 1:15.

Our lawyer met us there, and we sat waiting and chatting for a while. Around maybe 1:50, our name got called by a young man at the door – and I think my husband’s heart almost stopped. His hands were totally clammy; he was very nervous. But the man who greeted us and took us back to his office seemed very calm and laid-back – a young, clean-cut black man (looked to be about 30 years old). His laid-back attitude about it put us at ease as he took us into his office.

He introduced himself as Officer Burton, and said he would be working with us today. He first had us raise our right hands as we stood in front of his desk, and asked if we swore to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. He said “I do”, and I said “Yes, I do” – felt like we were marrying all over again with the “I do’s”. Heh heh!

We then sat down in front of his desk in two chairs, and our lawyer sat behind us. He had our file open on his desk, and thumbed through it very quickly. He had made his own device out of a plastic thumb cover (made for leafing through pages) stuck onto a highlighter. He used this device very nimbly to flip through all the pages of our file very rapidly.

He first addressed my husband, and went over the information from the I-485 – asked him for his Name, Address, Birthday, Parents’ names. He then asked him a few other questions: What is your wife’s birthday? What city and state was your wife born in? Then he went into the YES/NO questions which he answered all NOs to. He also asked my husband when the last time he entered the U.S. was, and confirmed that he’d never left the U.S. since then. He asked if he had ever applied for permanent residency before (answer was no).

Then he turned to me. He asked how we met, if we were friends first, and how we went from being friends to dating to getting married. I answered this question a little awkwardly, since I wasn’t sure how to explain *how* we went from being friends to dating… but it was fine! He asked the date of our marriage, and place of marriage. Since we got married in NY, but then moved soon afterwards to DC, he asked why we moved to this area (for my job). He asked me what my husband’s birthday was, and his city and country of birth.

After these questions, he did a bunch of work on his own, thumbing back and forth very rapidly through our file papers, and entering things into the computer – and he didn’t say a word. It felt a bit strange since he was so quiet, and no one was saying a word. I know my husband was feeling nervous during this time, because we didn’t really know what was going on, what he was doing. But he had been very nice throughout, so it wasn’t too bad.

Then he asked what we had brought for him as proof. We gave him first (per our lawyer’s recommendation) the crucial stuff – our most recent joint tax returns (2007), my updated employment letter and recent pay stubs, and updated joint health insurance info. He filed these away and asked what else we had. We showed him our photos (I had put together pages of about 100 photos starting from when we first started dating in 2002 to present), and he saw our binder and said “Are those bills?” So we took out the joint phone bills we have, as well as previous energy bills from when we lived in NY and gave him those copies. We also gave him a copy of a joint credit card we have. Since he was just taking everything we gave him, I also mentioned we had copies of correspondence we’d sent each other during our whole relationship – and he said sure he’d take whatever we gave him. We also gave him copies of cards/letters that friends & family had sent to us (were addressed to both of us). He took everything! We were a bit surprised, because our lawyer said that they usually just will want 1-2 pages for their files, but won’t take everything. He kept it all!! Including all of our photos… so our file when we were all done was quite thick. At least four fold bigger than when we had arrived!

At some point during all of this (I think it was earlier when he was doing his own work quietly with our file and the computer and not talking), I heard his printer going, that he had printed something out. I noticed it at the time, because I wondered – could it be something good?? But then we had just continued with the interview, and I didn’t think of it again. After he had taken all of our evidence which I just mentioned, he pulled out a piece of paper and put it in front of my husband and said “I’d like you to read this.”

My husband started reading it and got through the first sentence, which read “… you have been granted conditional permanent residence in the United States…” when his heart just went into shock with excitement and he looked up at the Officer to confirm – “Does this mean I’ve been granted permanent residence?” He smiled and said yes, saying that he couldn’t do everything at once (I think he was referring to that he was still filling out our forms and so he had given him the paper instead of reading it to him?). !!!!!!!!!!! WE WERE SO HAPPY!!!! We hugged each other, and then I reminded my husband that he was supposed to read this paper, so we both read through it (it just explained that it is a *conditional* permanent residence).

My husband thanked the officer profusely, and he said there was no need to thank him, that we had made it easy for him. He apologized for the wait (which we thought there was no need for! The wait was not so bad). And he led us out back to the waiting room. WE WERE ECSTATIC!!

My husband had been very nervous about this whole thing, mainly because he had had an overstay of about 5 years. Though we know that marriage to a USC allows successful AOS after an overstay and all of that, still… he was very nervous about the whole thing because he just has a very guilty conscience (perhaps it’s the Catholic upbringing!), and thought maybe there would be something they might think of or find that we hadn’t thought of, or known about.

But it was super easy!!! He keeps saying he can’t believe it. You don’t know how joyful it is now, after so many years being out of status and being so very very nervous and aware of that, to finally be free and clear and able to truly re-start our lives. It has been 9 years since he has been home to the Philippines, and I can’t wait to go with him!! B)

100% Naturalized U.S.D.A. Prime American

proud_filipino_american_trucker_hat.jpg?

Congratulations!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

K1 Timeline

02/26/2007 - Filed I-129F

03/08/2007 - NOA1

06/05/2007 - NOA2

09/10/2007 - Interview

09/13/2007 - Visa Received

12/14/2007 - Flight to USA, POE-LAX

02/22/2008 - Wedding Date

AOS

05/29/2008 - I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox

06/19/2008 - Biometrics

08/25/2008 - Card production ordered

08/30/2008 - Green Card received

ROC

07/15/2010 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

07/19/2010 - NOA1

07/21/2010 - Check cleared

08/11/2010 - Biometrics

08/24/2010 - Card production ordered

08/27/2010 - Approval notice received

08/30/2010 - Green card received

N400 - Naturalization

08/08/2011 - Mailed N400 to Phoenix, AZ lockbox

08/12/2011 - NOA

08/15/2011 - Check cashed

09/07/2011 - Biometrics

09/09/2011 - Case status update - In line for testing & interview

09/13/2011 - Case status update - Interview scheduled

09/16/2011 - Interview appointment letter received from the mail

10/31/2011 - Test/Interview - Passed

12/07/2011 - In line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

01/27/2012 - Oath Ceremony

Had my interview today, at Fairfax, VA district office and not only were we approved by a superbly professional interviewing officer, I received the ADIT I-551 stamp in my passport. Highly surprising, and fortuitous. :dance:(L):wow:

It's been a loooooooooong journey, with major ups and downs, but finally, we've reached the surface of the ever deep abyss that is the immigration process. Below is the review:

Today, we had our interview for Adjustment of Status at the Fairfax, VA district office. Our appointment was for 1:30, and we arrived around 1:00. We had to wait in line to go through security, which was a bit hectic (a lot of people in line and several people asking if they could cut in line b/c they just wanted to ask security guard for forms or something), but eventually got through it and upstairs to the interview waiting room by 1:15.

Our lawyer met us there, and we sat waiting and chatting for a while. Around maybe 1:50, our name got called by a young man at the door – and I think my husband’s heart almost stopped. His hands were totally clammy; he was very nervous. But the man who greeted us and took us back to his office seemed very calm and laid-back – a young, clean-cut black man (looked to be about 30 years old). His laid-back attitude about it put us at ease as he took us into his office.

He introduced himself as Officer Burton, and said he would be working with us today. He first had us raise our right hands as we stood in front of his desk, and asked if we swore to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. He said “I doâ€, and I said “Yes, I do†– felt like we were marrying all over again with the “I do’sâ€. Heh heh!

We then sat down in front of his desk in two chairs, and our lawyer sat behind us. He had our file open on his desk, and thumbed through it very quickly. He had made his own device out of a plastic thumb cover (made for leafing through pages) stuck onto a highlighter. He used this device very nimbly to flip through all the pages of our file very rapidly.

He first addressed my husband, and went over the information from the I-485 – asked him for his Name, Address, Birthday, Parents’ names. He then asked him a few other questions: What is your wife’s birthday? What city and state was your wife born in? Then he went into the YES/NO questions which he answered all NOs to. He also asked my husband when the last time he entered the U.S. was, and confirmed that he’d never left the U.S. since then. He asked if he had ever applied for permanent residency before (answer was no).

Then he turned to me. He asked how we met, if we were friends first, and how we went from being friends to dating to getting married. I answered this question a little awkwardly, since I wasn’t sure how to explain *how* we went from being friends to dating… but it was fine! He asked the date of our marriage, and place of marriage. Since we got married in NY, but then moved soon afterwards to DC, he asked why we moved to this area (for my job). He asked me what my husband’s birthday was, and his city and country of birth.

After these questions, he did a bunch of work on his own, thumbing back and forth very rapidly through our file papers, and entering things into the computer – and he didn’t say a word. It felt a bit strange since he was so quiet, and no one was saying a word. I know my husband was feeling nervous during this time, because we didn’t really know what was going on, what he was doing. But he had been very nice throughout, so it wasn’t too bad.

Then he asked what we had brought for him as proof. We gave him first (per our lawyer’s recommendation) the crucial stuff – our most recent joint tax returns (2007), my updated employment letter and recent pay stubs, and updated joint health insurance info. He filed these away and asked what else we had. We showed him our photos (I had put together pages of about 100 photos starting from when we first started dating in 2002 to present), and he saw our binder and said “Are those bills?†So we took out the joint phone bills we have, as well as previous energy bills from when we lived in NY and gave him those copies. We also gave him a copy of a joint credit card we have. Since he was just taking everything we gave him, I also mentioned we had copies of correspondence we’d sent each other during our whole relationship – and he said sure he’d take whatever we gave him. We also gave him copies of cards/letters that friends & family had sent to us (were addressed to both of us). He took everything! We were a bit surprised, because our lawyer said that they usually just will want 1-2 pages for their files, but won’t take everything. He kept it all!! Including all of our photos… so our file when we were all done was quite thick. At least four fold bigger than when we had arrived!

At some point during all of this (I think it was earlier when he was doing his own work quietly with our file and the computer and not talking), I heard his printer going, that he had printed something out. I noticed it at the time, because I wondered – could it be something good?? But then we had just continued with the interview, and I didn’t think of it again. After he had taken all of our evidence which I just mentioned, he pulled out a piece of paper and put it in front of my husband and said “I’d like you to read this.â€

My husband started reading it and got through the first sentence, which read “… you have been granted conditional permanent residence in the United States…†when his heart just went into shock with excitement and he looked up at the Officer to confirm – “Does this mean I’ve been granted permanent residence?†He smiled and said yes, saying that he couldn’t do everything at once (I think he was referring to that he was still filling out our forms and so he had given him the paper instead of reading it to him?). !!!!!!!!!!! WE WERE SO HAPPY!!!! We hugged each other, and then I reminded my husband that he was supposed to read this paper, so we both read through it (it just explained that it is a *conditional* permanent residence).

My husband thanked the officer profusely, and he said there was no need to thank him, that we had made it easy for him. He apologized for the wait (which we thought there was no need for! The wait was not so bad). And he led us out back to the waiting room. WE WERE ECSTATIC!!

My husband had been very nervous about this whole thing, mainly because he had had an overstay of about 5 years. Though we know that marriage to a USC allows successful AOS after an overstay and all of that, still… he was very nervous about the whole thing because he just has a very guilty conscience (perhaps it’s the Catholic upbringing!), and thought maybe there would be something they might think of or find that we hadn’t thought of, or known about.

But it was super easy!!! He keeps saying he can’t believe it. You don’t know how joyful it is now, after so many years being out of status and being so very very nervous and aware of that, to finally be free and clear and able to truly re-start our lives. It has been 9 years since he has been home to the Philippines, and I can’t wait to go with him!! B)

You have no idea how great of a story that was to read! Thank for posting it!

And I have to say CONGRATULATIONS, that is so great. I'm so happy for you. CHEERS!!!!!

Edited by Heliosphan

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

Glad you enjoyed the read. I know it's a long review, but we figured, the more detailed the better. We personally prefer detailed reviews. Best of luck on your journey.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Congratulations Latoslatos :D I got my passport stamped with the temp I-551 as well at my interview! :thumbs: Greencard arrived in the mail 12 days later. ;)

Separated!!

Congratulations Latoslatos :D I got my passport stamped with the temp I-551 as well at my interview! :thumbs: Greencard arrived in the mail 12 days later. ;)

Wow! Wasn't it amazing when he/she took that stamp out? Such a little stamp, with big possibilities! And 12 days later? That is awesome. Here's hoping I'm as lucky as you, Maria! :D

Congrats again to you as well. It's raining sheets here in DC, but I couldn't care less. Still happy as a clam.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Congrats! I'm in the DC area too and it's good to know it's now taking about 11 months for AOS (though the USCIS site stated between 8-9). Hope the rest of your journey is problem-free!

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Hey Jack and Barbara. It took our journey just about 11 months from the day of filing. So, we filed mid June 2007, and we got our approval on May 7 2008. We had no RFEs or anything, so that is why it went smoothly. I think...

But, as long as you complete the forms, and enclose the correct amount of payement, you guys should be golden. Also, it helped IMMENSELY from what the officer told us, that you submit the bonafides with your concurrent I-130/485 application. All the evidence we supplied with the filing was looked at, and, in my opinion, helped immensely. PM me if you have any other questions you wanna take in private.

Good luck on your journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.