Niel&Femi

Travel Alone

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Plane ride: depends on what you consider long. For me, long is anything over 3 hours so I would consider flying to Nigeria to be long :D There are lots of options for you through Europe (with a layover of several hours) or a straight flight on Delta from Atlanta to Lagos (I think that flight is 10-11 hours).

Visa: you will need a tourist/visitor visa to enter Nigeria: http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/visa_req.shtml

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone have an advise in traveling alone to Nigeria. For example, how is the plane ride, do i need to get a tourist visa to enter, or any other advise.

Thanks and God Bless.

Hello, and welcome to VJ. As for traveling alone to Nigeria, it can be a very interesting journey. As another poster stated, it can be long, but there are now direct flights. Although still a somewhat long journey, it is still something that you will not forget. I have traveled there a few times, as well as my sister (PrincessC). Please feel free to send a PM to either of us if you wish. We will be happy to offer any information.

May I also suggest that you visit the Department of State web site for more country- specific travel information, which gives you all the information needed from the perspective of "Americans traveling abroad," and any travel warnings, etc. Again, please feel free to send a me an email or my sister (PrincessC), and we will help you any way we can. May God be with you every step of the way.

Here is the Department of State web site with the information:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_987.html

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Hello welcome to VJ!!!! I traveled alone to Nigeria actually it was my first flight. It was a long flight(14hrs) with a stop over in Paris, France. The direct flight from Atlanta thru Delta is a timesaver on the flight and can also help coming back because I remember having a layover in Paris for about 8 long hours and I was miserable. It will be okay if you traveled along as long as your honey will be there to greet you at the airport. Do check out and read up on all the sites mentioned already.

Edited by forchika

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thank you all for your replies. :thumbs: I am heading to Lagos Nigeria in November, by God's grace.

I hope you have a wonderful and blessed visit. I also enjoyed our PM. Please feel free to contact me any time.....Stephanie

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Thank you all for your replies. :thumbs: I am heading to Lagos Nigeria in November, by God's grace.

Wishing you happy travels to Nigeria!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wishing you happy travels to Nigeria!!!!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I have went 2x's both very good trips straight flight best only 10-11 hours no stop earily to get flight better in april a good time to buy ticket not as high.. like 1600.00 rt. when you arrive you will go thru a check point .. when you get to luggage go get your own carrier for luggage are they will charge you.. everything about money specially being usa cit. learn to say no ... you will see alot of things you do not see here.. people begging on street no legs arms blind.. you have to learn to look past are u wil be broke... hotels are expense... I could not eat there foods it made me sick so my husband bought from restaaurant I lived off rice fries (Chips) drink bottled water.. or cokes... take plenty of antidih. med.. for upset stomach.. and beptmesmo. lol maybe your stomach can take things i can not.. we all diffrent... when lights go out its normal.. They take lights alot there.. If you do not have airconditioning take something to fan with... I got a yellow fever shot you need a month before you go.. its expensive 125.00 but worth it they try to get you to get all kinda shots medicine you do not need it... yellow fever shot is fine.. maybe some mosQuit repell take along.. they do not even check if you have it but safe to have it though to show you had shot... go visit the rock... Good look

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Have you traveled internationally before? My advise is to make sure you have specific plans and a support system in case things do not work out as planned. When I went to Ghana for the marriage, the stress of the preparations really got to us and we fought alot, but I taken my best friend and she was supportive when needed and neutral when needed. We had a hotel room the whole time so I had my place to run to and cool off when things got heated between my fiance and I.

Do a lot of research on the area you will be staying at. Find out where the American Embassy is at. Find out where the hotels in safe areas are. Pay attention how transaction are completed, especially when it comes to taking a taxi. Learn the currency exchange rate and how to handle the local money. Check out www.virtualtourist.com for advice and recommendations from other travelers in the area you are going to.

The more independant you are there the more clear headed you will be when making romantic decisions. At least that is when I found to be true.

I hope your trip is smooth and enjoyable. I know you will have a blast.

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.