Bruce and Han

Matts going to Vietnam

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello Mr. Matt,

I am 100% positive that you are excited about your up comming trip. Now is the time to think about what you can bring with you to help your fiance prepare for her interview. If you have emails or instant messages from each other, print them out now and bring with you, this way you can spend quality time together. Also, go over your case with her, think about what questions they will ask that is specific to your case. Practice the questions, act as if you are the CO and you are conducting the interview. Bring copies of the ring reciept, copies of your phone bills, what ever bank and co sposer information you can get your hands on. Just think deeply about what you can bring. If you are going to be staying in HCMC, go with your fiance to the US consulate, it is next to the French consulate you cant miss it. Go there and get a feel for the place, maybe ask a few questions.

If you have any questions as to what else to bring, just ask.

Good luck and have a good time!

K1____Timeline

California processing center

Consulate: HCMC

I-129F sent ----------------------------------09/20/2005

NOA 1 (receipt)------------------------------09/27/2005

NOA 2 (approved)----------- ---------------12/12/2005

Package received by NVC------------------12/23/2005

Package left NVC----------------------------12/30/2005

Received by consulate----------------------01/04/2006

Recieved instructions (pkt 3)---------------01/27/2006

Date completed instructions (pkt 3)-------02/28/2006

Date recieved appointment letter (pkt4)--03/23/2006

Interview Date-------------------------------04/24/2006

Recieved visa--------------------------------04/27/2006

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Thanks! I was surprised to see this post and it made me feel good. :)

Right now my desk is covered with paperwork I need to bring with me. My God, how I am going to get it all in order before Wednesday is beyond me.

I spent all day today in my yard and will spend all day tomorrow doing the same thing. I'll be gone 2.5 weeks and that means the lawn and landscaping needs tending to. Monday - Wednesday will be for packing, last minute stuff and getting the interview package in order. I'll have everything in it that I can think of. Of course, once I get there I am sure I will have forgot something, but since she does not even have an interview date yet, I think it's OK. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Have a safe trip.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi Matt,

I don't know about your fiancee's family, but my fiancee's family, and nearly every Vietnamese male that I work with, LOVE beer!

I can't promise you 100%, but I can pretty well guess that they'll be pouring you glass after glass of iced beer and telling you to down it, 100%!

I can't tell you how many times I've done this when dining out with Vietnamese, cheering at our engagement party, etc. Just part of the culture I guess. I do put a limit to my chugging though. I'm the foreigner and they ALL seem to want to down one with me. For me, that equals drunk a lot faster than for them!

Hope you have a good trip. Where in HCMC will be staying?

STL_HCMC

I hate beer. Yuck.

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

I have no idea where I am staying! :hehe: Anh says she found a place about one block from her. $11 a night, ac, with a bathroom and shower. OK, that works for me. I'd rather spend my money on her and us. Screw the room.

Guess I'll have to explain to the family that I cannot drink beer. I'll just tell them I cannot drink hops.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I have no idea where I am staying! :hehe: Anh says she found a place about one block from her. $11 a night, ac, with a bathroom and shower. OK, that works for me. I'd rather spend my money on her and us. Screw the room.

Sounds exciting. I hope you enjoy your time here. The weather here is definitely HOT these days!

Guess I'll have to explain to the family that I cannot drink beer. I'll just tell them I cannot drink hops.

Now this idea might work!

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It might be a good idea to find out where you are staying before you get there. The reason I say this is because the customs paper that they pass out on the plane asked where you are staying in VN, and when I was going through customs at the airport in HCMC the customs agent asked me where I was staying during my time in VN.

K1____Timeline

California processing center

Consulate: HCMC

I-129F sent ----------------------------------09/20/2005

NOA 1 (receipt)------------------------------09/27/2005

NOA 2 (approved)----------- ---------------12/12/2005

Package received by NVC------------------12/23/2005

Package left NVC----------------------------12/30/2005

Received by consulate----------------------01/04/2006

Recieved instructions (pkt 3)---------------01/27/2006

Date completed instructions (pkt 3)-------02/28/2006

Date recieved appointment letter (pkt4)--03/23/2006

Interview Date-------------------------------04/24/2006

Recieved visa--------------------------------04/27/2006

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Have a nice trip and good luck Matt :luv:

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

it is most likley a nice room I am staying at the Minh Huy - my future MIL found it and it was only $17 and very nice big room big bathroom clean

Good Luck

Petitioners First Name: Capt. Joe

Beneficiaries First Name: Logic Girl

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I-129F Sent : 2005-12-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-12-21

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-04-18

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-05-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-05-11

NVC Received :

NVC Left : 2006-05-26

Consulate Received : 2006-05-31

Packet 3 mailed 2006-06-19

Packet 3 Received : 2006-07-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-07-12

Packet 4 Received : 2006-09-23

Interview Date : 2006-10-05 passed!!!!

Visa Received : 2006-10-10

US Entry : 2006-10-13

Marriage : 2006-10-16

Comments : sending out AOS papers 11-27-06

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 149 days.

When you tell the men in the family this, they will likely pull out some Vietnamese rice wine (i.e. moonshine, white lightning). They always like to get the foreigner drunk, so be careful. Make sure you share shots or take equal shots. Don't let anyone at the table (usually all men) pass up a round after you. Otherwise they'll just keep making you drink more than they. If anyone cheats give them some ###### about it, in a funny way.

If you have had enough drinking, it's OK to excuse yourself to go sleep. Sometimes my sweetheart will come to the table and scold me "you don't drink too much!". She'll take some heat from the men, but it gets me out of the heavy drinking that often goes on. Work out a plan with Anh ahead of time to get you out of too much drinking.

Don't drink beer with ice in it. I got gawd-awful sick the day after our engagement ceremony from drinking beer with ice in it. Now I'll drink it warm if I have to, although the men in the family now make sure my beer sits on ice in a cooler just to keep me drinking! Good luck Matt!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Have a good & safe trip Matt !

Enjoy your time with Anh, and live every moment. Time goes by too fast !

Be well !

-Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.