kalina

Midwest vs. East or West Coast

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for replies to everybody. Maybe it is better for immigrants to live at the biggest cities where there are more foreigners.

Erika's husband, yes, I am sure that there are wonderful people here. The city is beautiful also. I like the Plaza very much. It recalls me for Europe. But when you are with positive attitude to someone, and he looks at you hostile, it is difficult. When I am outside at play yard with my daughter, very often, other mothers move away their children from mine, when they hear my accent. I don't like this. Moreover, my child is clean always, vaccinated and thanks God she is healthy. I think that it is not good for her to stay at such a place. I don't want she to be discriminated and feel bad.

There are some other offending things here also, but I prefer not to write about them.

I am not against people here. It is their right and they are free to behave in this way. It is my problem. Hope that I don't offend anybody with this topic.

Didn't offend me one bit. I know how people can be here. You have to do what makes you and your family happy. I wish you all the best if you move elsewhere. But if you stay here in KC, hopefully our families can meet up some time! :)

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for replies to everybody. Maybe it is better for immigrants to live at the biggest cities where there are more foreigners.

Erika's husband, yes, I am sure that there are wonderful people here. The city is beautiful also. I like the Plaza very much. It recalls me for Europe. But when you are with positive attitude to someone, and he looks at you hostile, it is difficult. When I am outside at play yard with my daughter, very often, other mothers move away their children from mine, when they hear my accent. I don't like this. Moreover, my child is clean always, vaccinated and thanks God she is healthy. I think that it is not good for her to stay at such a place. I don't want she to be discriminated and feel bad.

There are some other offending things here also, but I prefer not to write about them.

I am not against people here. It is their right and they are free to behave in this way. It is my problem. Hope that I don't offend anybody with this topic.

Unfortunately I dont think this is peculiar to the US - you can strike this small minded attitude anywhere. I will be settling into Western Kansas which is definately redneck central. Funny thing is, being Australian, people like my accent, so I get accepted pretty easy. I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere. Trouble is, the people who need to learn it, probably never will :(

Western Kansas? I've heard there's not much to do out there. At least it's not overrun by hillbillies like southern missouri is though!

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

Kansas City is a small big city. A lot of people here have lived here all their lives (me included). I have to admit, there are probably a lot of people who are "rednecks" and not very accepting of "new" or "different" people at first. I think in general though, once people here warm up to someone they can be very hospitable. Missouri is known as the "Show-me state". I think the general attitude that people have is "show me you belong...once you do, you're like family".

Of course, there are a lot of people in KC (me included) who love diversity and would be more than happy to work with and be friends with immigrants. If you really want to stay in KC, you can make it work. There are plenty of good people here.

Very well said! :thumbs:

To the OP... Give it more time! There is no perfect place to live. Try to get out and meet those neighbors and teach them about your Culture and especially the foods that you eat.... Women always want to learn new Recipes.... Keep your head up and you will be okay! Good Luck to you!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Western Kansas? I've heard there's not much to do out there. At least it's not overrun by hillbillies like southern missouri is though!

Lets put it this way - There is a wonderful lady I have not seen since 1.47pm November 2nd 2006 - waiting for me in Western Kansas. I will let your imagination fill in the gaps as to what there is to do out there :whistle:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Unfortunately I dont think this is peculiar to the US - you can strike this small minded attitude anywhere. I will be settling into Western Kansas which is definately redneck central. Funny thing is, being Australian, people like my accent, so I get accepted pretty easy. I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere. Trouble is, the people who need to learn it, probably never will :(

Glen&Teresa, what do you mean with the last two sentences? Sorry, but I can't understand.

I agree that someone can encounter this attitude anywhere. It is problem when most of the people have this views.

What I meant is the world is a giant enchanting place. I love encountering people from countries I have never been too. I learn amazing things, encounter different cultures, and find food I would never have thought could exist.

People with closed minds who shun away from these people, make their own life poorer. Often such people are so blinded by their attitudes they never appreciate what they could be missing. I hope that explains better - If not, please let me know :)

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We live in St. Louis, Missouri. Another big little town. Andre's had nothing but positive experiences and great opportunities come his way. St. Louis is a melting pot of different cultures.

You are talking about having been in KC, what? 6 or 7 months. Perhaps you are being a little hasty in your thinking.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
We live in St. Louis, Missouri. Another big little town. Andre's had nothing but positive experiences and great opportunities come his way. St. Louis is a melting pot of different cultures.

You are talking about having been in KC, what? 6 or 7 months. Perhaps you are being a little hasty in your thinking.

Jofmo's girl, yes I have been here for 6 months. I agree, this is a very short period about making generalization. In fact, the idea of moving is not mine, but of my husband. He has been in KC for 5 years. He likes this city but we have some bad experience here. I wrote about it in my previous posting. He thinks that we will feel better in a place with more diversity. He has lived in a bigger city and tell me that the attitude toward foreigners is different. Actually, I am afraid that we can encounter this attitude everywhere. I am not very sure that moving is a decision. That's why I wrote this topic.

My husband has already made the decision. I don't mind it, because a have nothing to lose here. No friends, no relatives, no job. The only unpleasant issue is that I have to pack my luggage again :wacko:

Erika's husband, dannyrmartin1, thank you very much about the wishes. I wish your families many love and happiness too.

Erika's husband, our families can meet up sometime in the summer. We can not leave KC immediately. First, we have to sell our house here. Having in mind that the housing market is not thriving, maybe it will take time. (hope that we will find a buyer quickly :) )

Edited by kalina

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.