aspettando

What did I forget from Russia?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

one thing that strikes me when I read these threads is the difference between the women who are moving there and the women who live in russia but are visiting the US for work/travel etc. All the ones I know who only visited the US LOVE the shopping here, and are all about American clothing brands/makeup lines etc. I had one professor who teaches in the US every summer and she refuses to buy any of her clothes in Russia. And yet it seems like once they move for good, Russian stuff becomes superior.

Fashion-Able clothes; especially shoes and boots and things that are form-fitting and have nice shape. Clothes here are a little more, uh, "loose" and definitely can't be described as "fashion-Able."

Первый блин комом.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
one thing that strikes me when I read these threads is the difference between the women who are moving there and the women who live in russia but are visiting the US for work/travel etc. All the ones I know who only visited the US LOVE the shopping here, and are all about American clothing brands/makeup lines etc. I had one professor who teaches in the US every summer and she refuses to buy any of her clothes in Russia. And yet it seems like once they move for good, Russian stuff becomes superior.

Fashion-Able clothes; especially shoes and boots and things that are form-fitting and have nice shape. Clothes here are a little more, uh, "loose" and definitely can't be described as "fashion-Able."

it is all part of being ... Fashion-Able? :luv:

Spasiva :thumbs:

Your post only adds to my suspicion that it's not necessarily clothes being more fashion-Able or better or worse, but just another excuse to tell the husband that something is better back home. I would pass it on.... but I'm better off saving my breath to cool my porridge. (Something being married over a year has taught me. Even when she's wrong she's right!)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I would bring also all medications-russians self-medicate most of the time..Here you can not just go and buy antibiotics if you are sick..you need a doctor to subscribe and they never subsribe you them unless you have some shitt deasease...thats my own experience..so i would bring all kinds of medications she is used to use..

and by the way american medication is way strong for me...even stupid tylenol gives me galucinations,since i never drink alcohol and never did drugs,its huge for me...and most russian girls are not used to drugs...

so yeah tell her to bring her"aptechka"

I agree also that shoes in russia-especially boots are more unique..about other clothes,definitely quality here is way better,so is the price....

Timeline

they're only available by prescription to try to prevent superbugs from forming, but people still overuse them.

I would bring also all medications-russians self-medicate most of the time..Here you can not just go and buy antibiotics if you are sick..you need a doctor to subscribe and they never subsribe you them unless you have some shitt deasease...thats my own experience..so i would bring all kinds of medications she is used to use..

and by the way american medication is way strong for me...even stupid tylenol gives me galucinations,since i never drink alcohol and never did drugs,its huge for me...and most russian girls are not used to drugs...

I agree also that shoes in russia-especially boots are more unique..about other clothes,definitely quality here is way better,so is the price....

Первый блин комом.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
they're only available by prescription to try to prevent superbugs from forming, but people still overuse them.

yeah i know antibiotics are not very good to use,but since we-russians dont have any antibodies,its sohard to fight sickness...

Timeline

what do you mean? i understand that when you move to the US you have to develop immunity to American germs, but it happens pretty quickly. Antibiotics will only help with infections after you develop them, so they won't help you fight off sickness in general or kill viruses... and using them off-label ruins their efficacy in fighting infections.

yeah i know antibiotics are not very good to use,but since we-russians dont have any antibodies,its sohard to fight sickness...

Первый блин комом.

The best defense against all of that stuff is to be healty. If you're strong and healthy, get good rest, exercise, eat right, you'll hardly ever get sick because your body will be naturally stronger.

I'm a firm believer in making your body get over being sick. I know too many people that get a little throat tickle (cough!) and start downing three different types of meds. Those same people grab a pill and patch and special drink every time their nose starts to run. Then, when they really do get something serious, their immobile for days on end. Probably wouldn't have gotten so sick if theyd've skipped the meds and just let their body toughen up.

What's the name of that Aussie guy? "You need to harden the F#@K up!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I agree completely. My dad and stepmom have a stockpile of antibiotics that they keep on hand for whenever someone gets sick and my brother and sister are sick CONSTANTLY. Whoever heard of a six-year-old in South Florida getting a kidney infection?

The best defense against all of that stuff is to be healty. If you're strong and healthy, get good rest, exercise, eat right, you'll hardly ever get sick because your body will be naturally stronger.

I'm a firm believer in making your body get over being sick. I know too many people that get a little throat tickle (cough!) and start downing three different types of meds. Those same people grab a pill and patch and special drink every time their nose starts to run. Then, when they really do get something serious, their immobile for days on end. Probably wouldn't have gotten so sick if theyd've skipped the meds and just let their body toughen up.

What's the name of that Aussie guy? "You need to harden the F#@K up!"

Первый блин комом.

You ever notice that kids don't just get sick.... they STAY sick! They're always sick with this or that and when the parents super-medicate them, the never get better, just less sick than normal.

Those kids with parents that only give them "Tussin" when they're really, really sick (aka throwing up and hacking up a lung... too sick for school so mom's gotta skip work) those kids hardly ever get sick.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

my mom had a "no doctor unless you're dying" rule, which is a bit extreme, but still my older brother and i hardly ever get sick... only when I fly back and forth from Russia does anyone get sick.

You ever notice that kids don't just get sick.... they STAY sick! They're always sick with this or that and when the parents super-medicate them, the never get better, just less sick than normal.

Those kids with parents that only give them "Tussin" when they're really, really sick (aka throwing up and hacking up a lung... too sick for school so mom's gotta skip work) those kids hardly ever get sick.

Первый блин комом.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

....but let's try to be specific so that newcomers pack what they really will need here in the land of the free.

I would bring dumplings maker - make bunch of dumplings :thumbs: get some vodka (joke) :wacko: & BE HAPPY!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Very, very good. We have as #1 absolutely necessary Russian item: wisp = mochalka ruka'vitsa. :ot2: Let's move on. What else is #2 absolutely necessary Russian item? :blink:

Well, most Russians wear golden jewelry. If she needs to buy something, I would do it in Russia.<br> All Russians from my area and me included don't like gold sold in America. Even if you found item you like, it's at least 20 times cheaper to buy equivalent in Russia :blink:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
What do you wish you should have brought, or what has proven indispensable here from Russia
Lots and lots of cheap black market gasoline for the car and natural gas for heating. My wife's family has access to 7 RU / Liter diesel in Russia. Can't beat that. And it only costs sevel 100RU to heat the home per month. Can't beat that. Edited by Satellite

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

kak skasash "dumplings maker" po ruski? :blink: Hoo! My accents sucks even when I write, so...

how do you say "dumplings maker" in the language of Dostoievski? ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.