Ramel

Certification by Translator

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi people i'm ramel im new here...just wanna ask one question to those who knew. Me and my fiance talk in our own dialic when we communicate.Can I translate my documents myself and sign it by my self in the certification by translation? Please help me..thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi people i'm ramel im new here...just wanna ask one question to those who knew. Me and my fiance talk in our own dialic when we communicate.Can I translate my documents myself and sign it by my self in the certification by translation? Please help me..thank you

For what purpose do you need these documents to be used as evidence?

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

Any documents that you are using that are required by USCIS/NVC/ETC must be translated by an "approved" translator.

The embassy website or consulate for your area should provide you with a list of official translators in your country. The paper must be signed and stamped by that translator's office.

Many Embassies will except documents in the native language and do not require translation. But anything going to a US Office or point of contact must be done by an official translator.

However, documents that you might be using as proof of your relationship - say emails or something like this, you might be able to just translate those yourself? Maybe someone else has further clarification about that.

Timeline
Any documents that you are using that are required by USCIS/NVC/ETC must be translated by an "approved" translator. NOT True, USCIS requires only certification by the translator... There is no APPROVED translator list published anywhere by USCIS.

The embassy website or consulate for your area should provide you with a list of official translators in your country. The paper must be signed and stamped by that translator's office. Local procedures vary widely. What is required in Phillipines may be very different than Tunisia

Many Embassies will except documents in the native language and do not require translation. Most likely true

But anything going to a US Office or point of contact must be done by an official translator. Again not true, anything submitted to the USCIS must be accompanied by an English translation with the appropriate certification. The certification is simply a statement by the translator indicating his/her competancy in BOTH languages.

However, documents that you might be using as proof of your relationship - say emails or something like this, you might be able to just translate those yourself? If and only if required and they meet the required certification standard.

Maybe someone else has further clarification about that.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

thank you su much guys..you guys rock!!!! I save a lot of money because of this website....just hoping and praying that my petition will be approve soon...

yes i'm talking about the proff of our ongoing relation like emails and letters ang greeting cards...so it's ok to translate those by myself? do i still have to put my name on the translator though?

Timeline
thank you su much guys..you guys rock!!!! I save a lot of money because of this website....just hoping and praying that my petition will be approve soon...

yes i'm talking about the proff of our ongoing relation like emails and letters ang greeting cards...so it's ok to translate those by myself? do i still have to put my name on the translator though?

Proof of ongoing relationship NOT required with the initial I-129F petition. You can do it, it must be accompanied by an English translation but it is NOT required evidence.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

FWAGUY, Surprisingly you left out the fact that normally the translation must also be notarized by a notary of public or embassy official once the competent translator performs such service. :whistle:

Any documents that you are using that are required by USCIS/NVC/ETC must be translated by an "approved" translator. NOT True, USCIS requires only certification by the translator... There is no APPROVED translator list published anywhere by USCIS.

The embassy website or consulate for your area should provide you with a list of official translators in your country. The paper must be signed and stamped by that translator's office. Local procedures vary widely. What is required in Phillipines may be very different than Tunisia

Many Embassies will except documents in the native language and do not require translation. Most likely true

But anything going to a US Office or point of contact must be done by an official translator. Again not true, anything submitted to the USCIS must be accompanied by an English translation with the appropriate certification. The certification is simply a statement by the translator indicating his/her competancy in BOTH languages.

However, documents that you might be using as proof of your relationship - say emails or something like this, you might be able to just translate those yourself? If and only if required and they meet the required certification standard.

It is a great idea and it helps to show ongoing relationship, cannot hurt you at all. :thumbs:

Timeline
FWAGUY, Surprisingly you left out the fact that normally the translation must also be notarized by a notary of public or embassy official once the competent translator performs such service. :whistle:

Huh? Again spreading bad information are we? Please show me this requirement for translations submitted with the I-129F. If the OP is submitting for the consulate interview, are you now an expert for Manila?

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

It is a great idea and it helps to show ongoing relationship, cannot hurt you at all. :thumbs:

I believe the OP is preparing for the interview stage?

Each and every consulate applies different set of rules. The consulate here in Malaysia requires translation by an official translator for the non English official documents such as birth certificate, police clearance ..etc. The consulate has also assured me that I do not need to get the translation notarized or authenticated as long as I bring both the translation and original copies to the Embassy at the time of interview and the CO will authenticate them for me.

So my advice is get in touch with someone from the American Embassy to find out the answers. They usually respond pretty fast through emails.

Cheers and good luck! :star:

“You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.” - Jim Stovall -

Our Journey

2008-08-15 .......... Married on K-1!!!!

2009-08-28 .......... Sent AOS (I-485 and I-765) Application to Chicago

2009-09-11 .......... NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765

2009-09-25 .......... Biometrics Appointment in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-08 .......... EAD Approved (CRIS update)

2009-10-08 .......... I-485 Touched, I-485 Case transferred to CSC (CRIS update)

2009-10-09 .......... Biometrics Appointment #2 in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-15 .......... I-485 Case transferred to USCIS office

2009-10-16 .......... I-485 Touched, EAD card arrived in the mail

2009-10-19 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-04 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-05 .......... I-485 RFE (CRIS update)

2009-11-06 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-10 .......... RFE arrived in the mail

2009-11-12 .......... RFE response sent back to CSC

2009-11-17 .......... RFE Received at CSC (CRIS update)

2009-11-18 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-23 .......... I-485 Notice that new permanent resident status has been registered

2009-11-24 .......... I-485 Card production ordered

2009-11-25 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-30 .......... I-485 Approval Notice sent, Permanent Resident Card in the mail!!!

Timeline

Thank you, once again FWAGUY lets his alligator mouth over ride his tweety bird #######. :thumbs:

I believe the OP is preparing for the interview stage?

Each and every consulate applies different set of rules. The consulate here in Malaysia requires translation by an official translator for the non English official documents such as birth certificate, police clearance ..etc. The consulate has also assured me that I do not need to get the translation notarized or authenticated as long as I bring both the translation and original copies to the Embassy at the time of interview and the CO will authenticate them for me.

So my advice is get in touch with someone from the American Embassy to find out the answers. They usually respond pretty fast through emails.

Cheers and good luck! :star:

Timeline
Thank you, once again FWAGUY lets his alligator mouth over ride his tweety bird #######. :thumbs:

Here is the information directly from the USEM website:

"Any document not in English must be accompanied by an English translation. A competent translator must certify the translations. "

Please tell me where it says anything about notarization?

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

YMMV

Timeline

Just go right on with your false propaganda and see what happens when it is not notarized.

Here is the information directly from the USEM website:

"Any document not in English must be accompanied by an English translation. A competent translator must certify the translations. "

Please tell me where it says anything about notarization?

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3217.html

Timeline
Just go right on with your false propaganda and see what happens when it is not notarized.

We had no such problems in Kiev... so I guess nothing bad will happen there....

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.