elionwy

questions regarding primary evidence for a K-1 visa application

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've read the guides and I see that most primary evidence of a relationship consists of boarding passes and passport stamps and the like.

I originally entered the US on an F-1 visa (we met while we were students in the same academic program), but unfortunately I lost my passport, so I no longer have the stamps and the visa that have my original entry date into the US. (I do have a new passport, of course.) Here are some other things that I was hoping might serve as primary evidence of our meeting instead:

both our transcripts, which will show that we were in the same program at the same time (and took classes together)

a signed letter from one of our professors stating that we were, in fact, in his class at the same time

a signed letter from one of our employers stating that we worked together (which we did for several months)

copy of phone records, which show we called each other regularly (although we never had extended conversations, seeing as we saw each other often)

copy of pay stubs sent to my address when I was living in the US (which would prove we lived in the same area, I suppose)

a copy of my state driver's license (again, proof of residence)

I'm still not sure if the primary evidence is supposed to prove I was in the US as the same time as he was, or that we actually met, or that we actually had a relationship.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by elionwy

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
I've read the guides and I see that most primary evidence of a relationship consists of boarding passes and passport stamps and the like.

I originally entered the US on an F-1 visa (we met while we were students in the same academic program), but unfortunately I lost my passport, so I no longer have the stamps and the visa that have my original entry date into the US. (I do have a new passport, of course.) Here are some other things that I was hoping might serve as primary evidence of our meeting instead:

both our transcripts, which will show that we were in the same program at the same time (and took classes together)

a signed letter from one of our professors stating that we were, in fact, in his class at the same time

a signed letter from one of our employers stating that we worked together (which we did for several months)

copy of phone records, which show we called each other regularly (although we never had extended conversations, seeing as we saw each other often)

copy of pay stubs sent to my address when I was living in the US (which would prove we lived in the same area, I suppose)

I'm still not sure if the primary evidence is supposed to prove I was in the US as the same time as he was, or that we actually met, or that we actually had a relationship.

Thanks in advance.

evidence that you have met face to face. You cant do it with phone records, or paystubs, as they are meaningless and prove nothing. You will need evidence that you have met and supplement them with photos.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You should be fine. At the USCIS, you are just identifying that you met in the last 2 years. At your interview, you'll be required to demonstrate a relationship.

Thanks in advance.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

01-04-2008 - I-129F Sent

01-09-2008 - I-129F NOA1

03-05-2008 - I-129F NOA2

04-08-2008 - Medical Exam

04-17-2008 - Interview!!!

04-22-2008 - VISA IN HAND!

05-02-2008 - U.S. Entrance

06-14-2008 - MARRIAGE!

Phase 2....

06-19-2008 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP

06-26-2008 - AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

07-19-2008 - Biometrics

07-22-2008 - Transferred to CSC!

07-28-2008 - Email from CRIS confirming CSC received case

08-25-2008 - Received AP in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

08-29-2008 - Received EAD card in the mail (NO STATUS CHANGE OR CRIS EMAIL)

09-22-2008 - Received Email from CRIS for I-485 "CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!"

09-27-2008 - Received Green Card in the mail!

Phase 3....

06-29-2010 - Sent I-751 and package to Remove Conditions

07-06-2010 - NOA1

08-24-2010 - Biometrics

Filed: Timeline
evidence that you have met face to face. You cant do it with phone records, or paystubs, as they are meaningless and prove nothing. You will need evidence that you have met and supplement them with photos.

Okay, I can see why phone records might not prove our having met. But then why do boarding passes work as primary evidence? All that proves is that I flew into the city he happened to be at. My paystubs would prove the exact same thing - that we were physically present in the same area (not to mention in the same workplace!).

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to get a feel for what kind of stuff I need to put together for the application since I lack both boarding passes and entry stamps.

You should be fine. At the USCIS, you are just identifying that you met in the last 2 years. At your interview, you'll be required to demonstrate a relationship.

Okay, thanks. So I don't need to prove the relationship part until the interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think it sounds like you have a great pool of primary evidence, you sound more than fine to me.

Boarding passes and the likes are just examples since most people do have to travel to see their loved ones - it's just the most common example and VJ's advice, not even mentioned in uscis instructions anywhere. Any sort of evidence that you've met is good. And you're right, having proof that you worked in the same office is a lot more solid than proof that you happened to fly to the country your fiance lives in. Your case is actually kind of...better than others with that.

You don't have to show secondary evidence of your actual relationship til the interview, yeh, so hang onto phone records and all that for then. However most people do send in at least a couple photographs if they can with the initial package. Just some sort of little taste of the actual relationship. If you happen to have any receipts from restaurants, shows, etc. you guys might have gone to while together, people have used those before too. It just kind of fills in the narrative, you know? But I don't think it's necessary at all.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.