kcmetzy

Question about the future...

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I love to play the "what if" game..a little too much to be quite honest.

but..

WHAT IF..we decide to move to Canada in the next couple of years? My husband is not planning on getting his citizenship, he will only gave his green card down here.

If we move to Canada is his permanent residency in the U.S. voided out? I just don't want to be forced to live anywhere..I want options people!

Can I get my permanent residency in Canada right now..even if we don't intend on moving there. I'm thinking no..but any input is appreciated.

THANKS! :)

Filed: Timeline

Your husband should wait until he has his permanent resident card, which he will apply for two years after he receives his temporary resident card. Then he will be able to come and go without a problem. Any sooner than that and he will abandon his residency.

No, you cannot get your residency in Canada unless you take up residence there.

iagree.gif

Timeline
Your husband should wait until he has his permanent resident card, which he will apply for two years after he receives his temporary resident card. Then he will be able to come and go without a problem. Any sooner than that and he will abandon his residency.

Is it 2 years after he receives his temporary card, or after we have been married 2 years? The guy told us we will have to file something on our 2 year anniversary (which is this summer). Is that what you are talking about, or am I confused? :)

Is it 2 years after he receives his temporary card, or after we have been married 2 years? The guy told us we will have to file something on our 2 year anniversary (which is this summer). Is that what you are talking about, or am I confused? :)

Oh wait. You're CR-1. I'm sorry. I'm speaking from K-1 experience. In our case, I would file for my permanent resident card just before the two-year anniversary of the approval date on my temporary resident card. Maybe Flames or Trailmix can help you out here. Sorry.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Ur cr-1 is good for 2 yrs ONCE it is activated (when u cross over at the POE) The expiry date will be on the greencard itself. 90 days before the expiry date ur eligible to apply for your permanent residence card which is good for 10 years. That is the I-751!! Dont send it in 91 days before and dont send it after the greencard has expired! its a VERY easy form to fill out, takes all of 10 minutes!! From the day I sent in my I-751 til I received the 10 yr greencard was approx 6 months!!

NOW for USA citizenship, one can apply 90 days before your 3 yr anniversary of the date u activated ur original cr-1 visa

ie

Cross into the USA to activate CR-1 July 1 2008 (expires July 1 2010)

90 days before July 1 2010 one can mail in I-751 paperwork (shortly after that they will mail you a letter stating you have been granted a year extension, keep that paper!!)

90 days before July 1 2011 you are eligible to start the USA citizenship paperwork if you want to become a USA citizen. of course you dont have to do it within that 90 days, just cant do it earlier than 90, and one has no time limit to apply. i still haven't,lol, but I have filled out most of the form.

EDITING:

As well im assuming ur married for less than 2 years!! if you entering the USA and have been married for 2 yrs or more, you should get the IR-1, which is good for 10 years!!

Thats why some people who have been married for less than 2 years, but are close to their 2 yr wedding anniversary wait and activate thier visa, until they have reached their 2 yr wedding anniversary.

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband (USC) and I (Canadian citizen) would possibly like to move back to Canada at some point too. I am waiting until after I get my US citizenship though, so that there will be no problems if I ever want to move back to the U.S. sometime after we move to Canada.

I was of the understanding that if you leave the U.S. with only Permanent Resident status to live in another country permanently, that eventually you have abandoned your U.S. residency.

Is this not correct.... anyone?

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
My husband (USC) and I (Canadian citizen) would possibly like to move back to Canada at some point too. I am waiting until after I get my US citizenship though, so that there will be no problems if I ever want to move back to the U.S. sometime after we move to Canada.

I was of the understanding that if you leave the U.S. with only Permanent Resident status to live in another country permanently, that eventually you have abandoned your U.S. residency.

that was my assumption as well, and as such is the only reason why I will be applying for US citizenship, I would hate to go through all of this to lose it if I was to move back before getting dual.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Sorry, yes I believe you are right. I was operating under the assumption that they would only be going to Canada for a couple of years. I have no idea why I thought that. :unsure:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Only time your Wedding anniversary means anything is when it comes to issuing the cr-1--less than 2 yrs of marriage, of the IR-1, 2 yrs or more!!

After that its based on when you activated the visa, which is the date you crossed over at the POE and handed them your paperwork, and you will see the expiry date on the greencard.

And I believe if you spend to much time out of the USA, you would loose ur USA residency, or to do so, one has to fill lout more paperwork. And of course if ur spouse is a USA military member ur not going to loose ur residency because he gets posted out of country!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Only time your Wedding anniversary means anything is when it comes to issuing

And I believe if you spend to much time out of the USA, you would loose ur USA residency, or to do so, one has to fill lout more paperwork.

:lol: I wonder if Mrs. Flames shares the same sentiment. :lol:

If you keep leaving the US on a greencard, the assumption will be that you wish to abandon US residence. The maximum allowable time to be out of the US is one-year without a permit and there is no guarantee that USCIS will not cancel permanent residence. If you need to be out of the US for two years, you would need to file a re-entry permit. It is allowed only once. SHH (smokin' hot hubby :lol: ) is better off getting citizenship and then deciding if he wants to live in the US or Canada. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

yep.. i would wait for the citizenship too before making any other move.

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was under the impression that if you had a green card, 2-year or 10-year, if you left the US for more than 6 months you lost your green card. Is this wrong?

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I was under the impression that if you had a green card, 2-year or 10-year, if you left the US for more than 6 months you lost your green card. Is this wrong?

From what I understand, the onus switches from USCIS needing to prove that you are no longer resdient in the US to the green card holder having to prove ties to the US after 12 months absence. They can pull you into an immigration hearing if they feel that you are not a bona fide resident at any time although I doubt that they will do it unless you frequently leave and re-enter the country. Once you are a citizen, they can't do this. If you are out of the US for more than six months, they will get suspicious.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

From what I understand, the onus switches from USCIS needing to prove that you are no longer resdient in the US to the green card holder having to prove ties to the US after 12 months absence. They can pull you into an immigration hearing if they feel that you are not a bona fide resident at any time although I doubt that they will do it unless you frequently leave and re-enter the country. Once you are a citizen, they can't do this. If you are out of the US for more than six months, they will get suspicious.

How hard is it to become a citizen? Would my husband have to give up his Canadian citizenship, or would he be a dual citizen?

Timeline

add that to list of questions asked weekly,lol just kidding!! But I did state the time frame in my first posting about usa citizenship. No he wont loose his Cdn citizenship, he will have dual! But in the eyes of the USA government, he would be a USA citizen. 90 days prior to the 3 yr mark of the date u activated ur cr-1 visa is when u can apply.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.