maliciant

Travel from the philippines to the US

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've been looking around and I'm considering going through the whole k-1 process, I've mostly been gathering information. I have never met in person the person I'd be applying for, I realize that the k-1 doesn't absolutely require it but I suspect without it'd be highly suspect, and that's a long process in ideal situations. So the next step is figuring out how to remedy that issue, can anyone recommend where to find cheap flights, from manila, philippines to missouri or the other way around?

I wouldn't mind knowing how big of a flag not having met in person is as well, though that's probably best for a topic specific forum.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Golden Sun Travel - Southfield, Michigan : Citysearch.com

Golden Sun Travel

20411 W 12 Mile Rd Ste 209

Southfield, MI 48076

Phone: (248) 356-5860

This was recommended by my family in Michigan to my fiance', he likewise purchased his e-ticket here.

Have a memorable and safe trip, MABUHAY PHILIPPINES!

Our Medical Experience

K1/K2 Interview Experience

glitterfy-flpbk9170423469534.gif

AOS/EAD/AP

09/11/09 *** Mailed to Chicago Lockbox

09/12/09 *** Received/signed by R.Mercado

09/17/09 *** NOA1 (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/21/09 *** NOA1 Hardcopy received (AOS/EAD/AP)

09/24/09 *** Biometrics Appointment Letter Rcvd 10/19, 11am

09/29/09 *** Appt. to correct typographic name error (referred for biometrics..done)

10/06/09 *** RFE: Form 1040 of recent tax yr

10/20/09 *** Processing resumed

10/21/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/22/09 *** Touched (AOS/EAD/AP)

10/27/09 *** Transferred to CSC (AOS)

10/28/09 *** Touched(AOS)

10/29/09 *** Notices sent: EAD card production, AP approved

10/30/09 *** Touched (EAD/AP)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AOS: processing resumes at CSC)

11/02/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/03/09 *** Touched (AP)

11/04/09 *** AP approval letter received

11/03/09 *** Card production (EAD)

11/04/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/05/09 *** Touched (EAD)

11/06/09 *** Touched (AOS)

11/07/09 *** EAD Card received

12/07/09 *** Welcome Notice mailed

12/08/09 *** Card production (AOS)

12/10/09 *** Approval notice mailed

12/12/09 *** GREEN CARD received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I've been looking around and I'm considering going through the whole k-1 process, I've mostly been gathering information. I have never met in person the person I'd be applying for, I realize that the k-1 doesn't absolutely require it but I suspect without it'd be highly suspect, and that's a long process in ideal situations. So the next step is figuring out how to remedy that issue, can anyone recommend where to find cheap flights, from manila, philippines to missouri or the other way around?

I wouldn't mind knowing how big of a flag not having met in person is as well, though that's probably best for a topic specific forum.

no timeline, no idea where you are in the visa process, etc, i'm moving this one to the regional forum where you can get better specific answers.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The K-1 does absolutely require the two of you to have met in person. There are certain exceptions, but they are for extreme cases, and it would be wise to avoid the hassle and low likelihood of them being granted and visit him/her.

It is more that a mere 'red flag' it is very important that you have met your fiance in person.

Good luck!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Basically you HAVE to have met in person before you can get a K1 visa!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

meeting in person in the past two years is a MAJOR requirement for K1 application... unless you could exhibit a valid reason for not meeting. here's part of the instruction for I-129F fiancee petition:

Instructions for Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)

Who May File This Form I-129F.

You may file this petition if:

1. You are a U.S. citizen, and

2. You and your fiancé(e) intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States, and are both free to marry, and have met in person within two years before your filing of this petition unless:

A. The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long-established

customs of your or your fiancé(e)'s foreign culture or social practice; or

B. It is established that the requirement to personally meet your fiancé(e) would result in extreme

hardship to you.

Philippine culture and tradition will definitely not qualify for "A" reason not to meet up... and if you'd list "B" :it will be either financial hardship or physical hardship (you are invalid & have difficulty travelling or have a life threatening ailment) both would still give your would be fiancee a harder time when visa application (USEM interview) comes.

Not having sufficient proof of having met in person within the 2 years prior to filing the petition is almost always a cause for RFE (request for more evidence) or even petition denial.

Another thing, tourist visa to the US is very hard to obtain here in the Philippines... there are a few fiancees here who have applied for tourist visa last year and was denied.

So, the best and easiest way for you to mee up with your gf is to visit her here... don't worry too much of the travel warnings/advisory... some of the USC guys here on VJ could attest to the fact that it was more media over sensationalizing everything than actual situation. But of course you would still need to be very careful... especially in Manila. (sorry Manilenyos & Manilenyas)

Best of luck to you and hope God will guide your every step.

Edited by dbears

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Timeline

Thanks for the replies, I was pretty sure that an actual meeting would be required. I'm just gathering information now and have not begun the visa process, we've just been talking about it. The expense of the trip is a big part of the problem, but that's not unworkable. I do not have a visa or passport at this time, neither does she, so someone needs a vacation to another country, figuring out the most affordable options to do so is the next step. She lives in bacoor so I assume the most reasonable places to fly to or from is Manila.

it's a huge red flag. it's extremely difficult to get a waiver for the requirement of having met in person....

the U.S. citizen and foreign fiancee must have met in person within the two years before the K1 fiancee visa petition is filed unless either:

(a) meeting your fiancee in person would violate strict and long established customs of your fiancee's foreign culture or social practice; or

(B) the U.S. citizen can establish that complying with this requirement will result in extreme hardship to them (please note that financial hardship alone is not considered to be an "extreme hardship" by the USCIS); and

you also mention other way around... Philippines to here. if by that you mean to have her come here to met you, it could also prove difficult for her to be issued a tourist visa. the best way is for you to go to the Philippines to met her in person.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Thanks for the replies, I was pretty sure that an actual meeting would be required. I'm just gathering information now and have not begun the visa process, we've just been talking about it. The expense of the trip is a big part of the problem, but that's not unworkable. I do not have a visa or passport at this time, neither does she, so someone needs a vacation to another country, figuring out the most affordable options to do so is the next step. She lives in bacoor so I assume the most reasonable places to fly to or from is Manila.

you do not need a visa to enter the Philippines. you have up to 3 weeks to visit. it can be extended when you are there.

( B) the U.S. citizen can establish that complying with this requirement will result in extreme hardship to them (please note that financial hardship alone is not considered to be an "extreme hardship" by the USCIS); and

you also mention other way around... Philippines to here. if by that you mean to have her come here to met you, it could also prove difficult for her to be issued a tourist visa. the best way is for you to go to the Philippines to met her in person.

Oppss, I stand corrected... it is physical hardship only then :star:

Even if the girl will not mention meeting the bf, it will still be very difficult for a young single woman to be granted a US tourist visa. (young being 20's to mid40's-- my single aunt who is 44years old was recently denied because she lacks binding ties to PI)... she have to have financial proof that she is capable of financing her travel on her own and she also needs to show a strong binding tie for her to go back to the Philippines (her own kids and huge properties/assets and booming business all in her name--huge bank account will not do)

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Kayak.com, mobissimo.com, vayama.com, and jetcombo.com for online flight searches. Use Northwest's online search if you only care about price.

You must phone American Airlines to search for Manila flights, but the jet and customer service are much better than Northwest.

I flew out on a Thanksgivings Day and found an excellant price.

Edited by edp333

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Well... no physical hardships here, the cost is a little prohibative, but I can swing that, it's just bad timing really. On the plus side, the information here is providing me with a much more solid basis for making decisions. It's good to know I don't need a visa to travel there, for a three week stay how much proof of my ability to support myself is necessary, I'm assuming that staying with a friend should prevent me from having to have a large amount of cash in reserve. I am overdue for a vacation as is, three weeks might make the boss a little grumpy but I can work from anywhere so he'll forgive me. This has brought up a few new questions, but they are mostly touristy type questions, I can find those answers on my own :)

Well... no physical hardships here, the cost is a little prohibative, but I can swing that, it's just bad timing really. On the plus side, the information here is providing me with a much more solid basis for making decisions. It's good to know I don't need a visa to travel there, for a three week stay how much proof of my ability to support myself is necessary, I'm assuming that staying with a friend should prevent me from having to have a large amount of cash in reserve. I am overdue for a vacation as is, three weeks might make the boss a little grumpy but I can work from anywhere so he'll forgive me. This has brought up a few new questions, but they are mostly touristy type questions, I can find those answers on my own :)

none needed. when you do go for your visit, have a great time :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you're not in a rush to be with each other here in the US, another options is a CR1 visa. You'll need to get married in the PI but your current gf would be an automatic immigrant as soon as she steps on US soil. She can work right away and most importantly, you guys wont have to file for adjustment of status, which is over $1000.

Wedding in the PI is generally much much cheaper too than if you have the wedding in the US. Also, a big plus is... her family will all be able to attend.

I'm not rushing you into marriage or anything but since a K1 ends up in marriage anyway, Its just another option Im throwing out there. ;-) Good Luck!

Edited by NoelandTintin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.