Matthew and Amy

Yet more I-864 Questions

18 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

All seems to be running smoothly but we have some queries over the I-864. I live with my UK husband in the UK and he currently supports our family. Obviously neither of us have jobs in the US to go to so my folks back home in Florida have filled in the I-864 with their 2007 tax returns, agreeing to support us. Their income far exceeds the requirement.

Is this acceptable as I cannot see an alternative?

Regards Amy.

5th October 2007 posted petition on the 5th Oct 2007 to the US embassyLondon.

10th October 2007 the filing date was acknowledged via email and post.

10th January 2008 US London Embassy asking for further evidence of a bona-fide marriage.

22nd February 2008. Finally approved!

25th February 2008. Instructions arrive for preparation for interview including F-129.

22nd April 2008 All the documents required and our statement is sent to the US London Embassy 25th April 2008 Medical appointment time. Another trip to London!

26th April 2008 Medical was fine.

10 May 2008 Appointment made for June 5th. We had to register our Daughters birth abroad with the consulate and we had an appointment for June 27th. They called and made it for the same day!

5th June 2008th Doh! Consulate officer needs my wife to prove her domicile! She told me not to worry it should not be an issue. All they want are copies of tax returns and bank statements.

Again, the waiting game.... Closer though!!!!

July 1st. Loads of things arrived!!! Our folks sent over copies of tax returns and other things to prove domicile only for them to disapear in the post! We then paid $38 to fast track more copies over on a two day delivery and guess what... They all turned up today!!!

July 2nd. Called the Embassy courier and arrange collection.

July 3rd.. package collect and taken to Embassy! Now we wait.

July 10th Visa in my hands!!!!!!!!!!! Yay ... Now to book the plane!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

US Citizen Spouse MUST sponsor the immigrants, his parents can be Joint Sponsor, but cannot be primary sponsor.

A few things with the I-864 that can trip a person doing DCF. First, US Domicile, the sponsor must show that has not given up US Domicile while living in foreign country, the other, the US Citizen MUST provide past years IRS returns, (US Citizen may be exempt from paying US tax on foreign income, but they are not exempt from filing a return with the IRS every year)

More can be found here: http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Many US Citizens doing DCF will return to the USA shortly after filing the I-130, and work on reestablishing US Domicile, file past years returns, and work on finding a job to show being able to support the immigrant.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

However, it is not absolutely necessary for the petitioner to return to the U.S. (I didn't - we were living in Canada). You just need to prove that - you intend to reestablish domicile no later than the intending immigrant.

However, it is not absolutely necessary for the petitioner to return to the U.S. (I didn't - we were living in Canada). You just need to prove that - you intend to reestablish domicile no later than the intending immigrant.

Well returning is not really and option anyhow. We had a baby here in the UK. As we have a place to live in Florida then I read that it is infact proof of established domicile. So from what I understand then I need to sponser my UK husband on form i-864 and my folks are secondary sponsers and use form I-864A.

This is so complicated!!!!

Thank you both.

10th January 2008 US London Embassy asking for further evidence of a bona-fide marriage.

25th February 2008. Instructions arrive for preparation for interview including F-129.

22nd April 2008 All the documents required and our statement is sent to the US London Embassy 25th April 2008 Medical appointment time. Another trip to London!

10 May 2008 Appointment made for June 5th. We had to register our Daughters birth abroad with the consulate and we had an appointment for June 27th. They called and made it for the same day!

5th June 2008th Doh! Consulate officer needs my wife to prove her domicile! She told me not to worry it should not be an issue. All they want are copies of tax returns and bank statements.

July 1st. Loads of things arrived!!! Our folks sent over copies of tax returns and other things to prove domicile only for them to disapear in the post! We then paid $38 to fast track more copies over on a two day delivery and guess what... They all turned up today!!!

Timeline

Well returning is not really and option anyhow. We had a baby here in the UK. As we have a place to live in Florida then I read that it is infact proof of established domicile. So from what I understand then I need to sponser my UK husband on form i-864 and my folks are secondary sponsers and use form I-864A.

This is so complicated!!!!

Thank you both.

Good the domicile issue is handled, then your husband will file I-864, and parents also use I-864 as Joint-Sponsor.

I-864A is only used by a household member to add support to a sponsor, husband's parents are not members of his household.

Example of when I-864A may be used is this: (A K-3 spousal visa holder comes to USA, files for EAD before adjusting status, the K-3 then gets a job, and at this point the K-3 spouse could file I-864A to provide self support to their Spouse's I-864 when adjusting status)

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

You don't have to return to the US - DCF is designed with cases like yours in mind. For domicile, he can open an account, pay his taxes, etc. You should be ok.

remember you need to also file the I-864 even if you have a cosponsor.

Good luck ,L.

Hi there,

I have my I-864 ready and my parents who reside in Florida are sending over their I-864A forms with tax returns etc. Surely we only need prove my domicile?? I’m not sure what you mean by “he can open an account, pay his taxes†He lives and works in the UK and is English. Am I missing something? Do you mean when we return to the US?

Thanks for your advise....

Edited by Matthew and Amy

Timeline
You don't have to return to the US - DCF is designed with cases like yours in mind. For domicile, he can open an account, pay his taxes, etc. You should be ok.

Good luck ,L.

Hi there,

I have my I-864 ready and my parents who reside in Florida are sending over their I-864A forms with tax returns etc. Surely we only need prove my domicile?? I’m not sure what you mean by he can open an account, pay his taxes He lives and works in the UK and is English. Am I missing something? Do you mean when we return to the US?

Are the parents members of your husband's household? Do they live in your husband's home? I-864A is only used by members of a sponsor's household. His parent needs to provide an I-864 as a Joint sponsor, NOT I-864A.

Who May Be Considered a "Household Member" for Purposes of This Form?

For purposes of this form, a "household member" is:

• A relative who has the same principal residence as the sponsor and is related to the sponsor as a spouse, adult

child, parent, or sibling;

• A relative or other person whom the sponsor has lawfully claimed as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent Federal income tax return even if that person does not live at the same residence as the sponsor;
  • The intending immigrant, in certain circumstances. (See "How Can the Intending Immigrant Be Considered a Household Member"?)
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864A.pdf

Good luck ,L.

Hi there,

I have my I-864 ready and my parents who reside in Florida are sending over their I-864A forms with tax returns etc. Surely we only need prove my domicile?? I’m not sure what you mean by he can open an account, pay his taxes He lives and works in the UK and is English. Am I missing something? Do you mean when we return to the US?

Are the parents members of your husband's household? Do they live in your husband's home? I-864A is only used by members of a sponsor's household. His parent needs to provide an I-864 as a Joint sponsor, NOT I-864A.

• A relative who has the same principal residence as the sponsor and is related to the sponsor as a spouse, adult

• A relative or other person whom the sponsor has lawfully claimed as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent Federal income tax return even if that person does not live at the same residence as the sponsor;
  • The intending immigrant, in certain circumstances. (See "How Can the Intending Immigrant Be Considered a Household Member"?)

Ok , I think I have confused you. It’s my parent’s household. This is my main residence in the US. This is where we will both be living when we return.( We have been given a plot of land to develop but it still belongs to my folks on paper at present)

Does that make better sense?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck ,L.

Hi there,

Ok , I think I have confused you. It’s my parent’s household. This is my main residence in the US. This is where we will both be living when we return.( We have been given a plot of land to develop but it still belongs to my folks on paper at present)

That makes sense, so they will in fact be part of the household. What Len was referring to is proving your (the U.S. citizen sponsors) domicile. Since you live in the UK, you may need more than just an address in the U.S., they will, of course, expect to see your tax return from 2007, possibly from 2005/06 as well. They also might want other proof like a bank account in the U.S. etc..

Good luck ,L.

Hi there,

Your parents should definitely be filling out the I-864 and not the I-864A if you are currently living in England. They are not a part of your household because you do not live together. The future situation does not matter. My parents were joint sponsors for my husband and we lived with them when we first moved to the US, but because my husband and I were both living in the UK at the time of the interview, I had to do an I-864 as the main sponsor and my parents had to do the I-864 as the joint sponsors. Your parents are the joint sponsors not household members. Have they sent the I-864A yet? I hope you guys can get it fixed quickly. Good luck! :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Good luck ,L.

Hi there,

Your parents should definitely be filling out the I-864 and not the I-864A if you are currently living in England. They are not a part of your household because you do not live together. The future situation does not matter. My parents were joint sponsors for my husband and we lived with them when we first moved to the US, but because my husband and I were both living in the UK at the time of the interview, I had to do an I-864 as the main sponsor and my parents had to do the I-864 as the joint sponsors. Your parents are the joint sponsors not household members. Have they sent the I-864A yet? I hope you guys can get it fixed quickly. Good luck! :)

Also want to add that YuAndDan is giving good info but has it confused which is the USC and which is the UKC, which is why some of it is confusing.

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

So parents can only be joint sponsors if you move into their household once immigration to the US is completed?

No, definitely not. Please let me know if it was something I said that led you to think that and I will clarify.

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Ok, since this is all so complicated we decided to fill in ALL the forms.. My folks have filled in both I-864 and I-864 and I the I-864. Simple. As I am my husbands dependant in the Uk I not have to file a tax return. I have previous tax returns from previous years etc but none since being here in the UK. We have bank statements from my US account and other proof of US domicile. Im confident we will be ok.

Cheers Amy

Edited by Matthew and Amy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.