supranatural

What do I need to know for my fiancee at port of entry

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Been away for a couple of weeks cause I've been so busy getting the house ready for Valya's arrival in the US.

I just want to make sure I know what's going to happen at the POE. I went through this about 6 years ago with my ex-wife from Moscow, but as she only had basic English skills at the time she could not tell me exactly what happened.

My fiancee will be arriving at JFK airport. She has the sealed packet (the one they tell you *not* to open) that they mailed to her from the US Embassy, the Visa in her International Passport, and her chest Xray (I'm pretty sure they don't need it at POE but I didn't want to take the chance...). Now I know you have to fill out a Customs declaration form and an I-94 form which they hand out to you on the airplane typically. Now what happens with USCIS? Does she give them the sealed packet (and I assume she does not get it back right?)? At Passport control they will look at her Visa, probably ask her what she is doing in the country (marry me of course). I just want to make sure I know what's going to happen so I can make sure things go smoothly for her (i.e., let her know so that she doesn't miss something).

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Been away for a couple of weeks cause I've been so busy getting the house ready for Valya's arrival in the US.

I just want to make sure I know what's going to happen at the POE. I went through this about 6 years ago with my ex-wife from Moscow, but as she only had basic English skills at the time she could not tell me exactly what happened.

My fiancee will be arriving at JFK airport. She has the sealed packet (the one they tell you *not* to open) that they mailed to her from the US Embassy, the Visa in her International Passport, and her chest Xray (I'm pretty sure they don't need it at POE but I didn't want to take the chance...). Now I know you have to fill out a Customs declaration form and an I-94 form which they hand out to you on the airplane typically. Now what happens with USCIS? Does she give them the sealed packet (and I assume she does not get it back right?)? At Passport control they will look at her Visa, probably ask her what she is doing in the country (marry me of course). I just want to make sure I know what's going to happen so I can make sure things go smoothly for her (i.e., let her know so that she doesn't miss something).

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Yes the procedure is very straighforward..

She will fill out the I-94 and customs declaration on the aircraft. Upon arrival she will get in line and present herself, passport, I-94, customs declaration and the mystery brown envelope to the CBP officer (xray not required). He/she will open up the envelope and do a quick review and then place it in a colored folder. He/she will stamp her passport and I-94 and then send her to secondary inspection. At secondary inspection, she wll place the envelope in the queue and wait for her name to be called. The officer will give her her documents. Secondary inspection is right by the luggage carousels. She will retrieve her luggage and then pass the customs agents giving them her declaration card. If she is connecting, then she may be able to re-check her luggage there or she will need to transit to the proper terminal. If you are meeting her there you can wait outside the arrival doors.

PS at the POE there is no USCIS... all is done by the CBP.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.