william_wallace

UK to South Carolina

31 posts in this topic

Hello all. Just wondering if any Brits has moved to South Carolina or moving? Im hoping with some luck i will be there with my wife to be around August or Sept. I really aint looking forward to the heat lol, gonna be interesting how i cope with the humidity. Im just after any feedback on anyone who is there and how there settling in, the culture difference etc etc.

Cheers

beach_1_001.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Schnookums isn't here yet :(

The heat is the thing to kill him too. It was so funny the first time he came over for Christmas. He brought like 9 fleeces and jackets with him when I told him not to, and ended up wearing tshirts the whole time :lol:

Things Iain really enjoys about SC:

huge ridiculous portions at huge ridiculous steakhouses that are like half the price of yours

listening to us talk and subsequently making fun of how we talk

how much sloooooower everyone is; it drives me crazy but I guess it's still new to him

how it doesn't rain every single day in that crappy grey all-day-long way

But he loves our terrifying thunderstorms and wants to sit on the porch rocking in a chair going "mm hmm...storm's a comin"

I think he probably likes our side-of-the-road fruit stands and ice cream huts and stuff like that

I could list all kinds of food and things that he likes that you guys don't get. And I could list all the things he likes about my family. That's a big deal I think, that he likes my family a lot and I'm so glad about that. They're pretty different from his so just entertain him or something.

But unfortunately the "in general" list for SC is kind of short when you take out food :lol: A big crappy thing is no public transportation really, and most places are very much not pedestrian-friendly :\ But it totally depends where you are. If you're in Charleston there's tons to do, and Columbia's not bad either. And I love that where I live (upstate) it's a short drive to the mountains of NC which are really different and really beautiful.

I'm worried about Iain and you coming over right when a recession starts and gas and food prices are insane and all this fun stuff :( I don't know how the job market is looking in SC or what Lara does or what you do or how set up you guys are...I haven't hit the real world yet so my fingers are crossed for all of us :(

I'm sure you'll find lots of things you like :) It really is a beautiful area, and one of the better places to be in in the US as far as variation and natural beauty and things go. Other practical stuff like economy and crime and whatnot is going to depend on what community you're in.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Timeline

Oh, any southern food is good food :) Fried squash and meatloaf. Omg.

It really DOES all come down to food, but I try to pretend otherwise :P

Will if Lara's in Charleston you'd better like seafood though. I don't and it's the specialty pretty much everywhere...

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

Schnookums isn't here yet :(

The heat is the thing to kill him too. It was so funny the first time he came over for Christmas. He brought like 9 fleeces and jackets with him when I told him not to, and ended up wearing tshirts the whole time :lol:

Things Iain really enjoys about SC:

huge ridiculous portions at huge ridiculous steakhouses that are like half the price of yours

listening to us talk and subsequently making fun of how we talk

how much sloooooower everyone is; it drives me crazy but I guess it's still new to him

how it doesn't rain every single day in that crappy grey all-day-long way

But he loves our terrifying thunderstorms and wants to sit on the porch rocking in a chair going "mm hmm...storm's a comin"

I think he probably likes our side-of-the-road fruit stands and ice cream huts and stuff like that

I could list all kinds of food and things that he likes that you guys don't get. And I could list all the things he likes about my family. That's a big deal I think, that he likes my family a lot and I'm so glad about that. They're pretty different from his so just entertain him or something.

But unfortunately the "in general" list for SC is kind of short when you take out food :lol: A big crappy thing is no public transportation really, and most places are very much not pedestrian-friendly :\ But it totally depends where you are. If you're in Charleston there's tons to do, and Columbia's not bad either. And I love that where I live (upstate) it's a short drive to the mountains of NC which are really different and really beautiful.

I'm worried about Iain and you coming over right when a recession starts and gas and food prices are insane and all this fun stuff :( I don't know how the job market is looking in SC or what Lara does or what you do or how set up you guys are...I haven't hit the real world yet so my fingers are crossed for all of us :(

I'm sure you'll find lots of things you like :) It really is a beautiful area, and one of the better places to be in in the US as far as variation and natural beauty and things go. Other practical stuff like economy and crime and whatnot is going to depend on what community you're in.

Lol, the amount of times i have been on the phone to Lara and i can hear the rumblings of thunder in the backround lol. She just lives outside Charleston in Summerville. She has pre warned me manys a time about the heat index there. She hates it and she's from there. God help it how the hell i will cope. She did say the food there is different than when she lived in Philly, some is better, some isn't. As for work goes, i'm a plasterer and tiler to trade and her brother works for a building firm who are always looking for ceramic tilers. I will probebly work with her for the first few month, just to get my feet on the ground. I'm looking forward to living there as there is plenty Scottish roots in SC. Is there any Scottish pubs near by lol. As for food, i will take anything as long it aint that grits, hate the damn stuff.

beach_1_001.jpg

Timeline

Iain hates grits too...I don't get that, they're yummilicious. Everyone eats shrimp and grits here though and gag.

Oh you should be fine if you're in building/construction sort of stuff, yeh absolutely. And if you have family connections that's awesome. I've never stayed in Charleston through the summer but I imagine it gets pretty terrible. Of course it's horrible muggy here near the ocean.

Sometimes when you're on Interstate 26 or maybe other places it's going to smell really awful, I don't know if it's the tides or ships coming in or what. Rotting fish smell :( And there's these gigantic cockroaches when it's warm too, MMM. :):):) Ya'l should move to the upstate it's better up there.

You know I've never seen a Scottish pub anywhere in the US that I can remember...plenty of irish ones though. If you guys ever go to Tommy Condon's which is irish in downtown Charleston, don't order the shepherd's pie. It'll just piss you off. It's a complete ripoff, they do it all wrong :( Burgers are great though.

Iain hates grits too...I don't get that, they're yummilicious. Everyone eats shrimp and grits here though and gag.

Oh you should be fine if you're in building/construction sort of stuff, yeh absolutely. And if you have family connections that's awesome. I've never stayed in Charleston through the summer but I imagine it gets pretty terrible. Of course it's horrible muggy here near the ocean.

Sometimes when you're on Interstate 26 or maybe other places it's going to smell really awful, I don't know if it's the tides or ships coming in or what. Rotting fish smell :( And there's these gigantic cockroaches when it's warm too, MMM. :):):) Ya'l should move to the upstate it's better up there.

You know I've never seen a Scottish pub anywhere in the US that I can remember...plenty of irish ones though. If you guys ever go to Tommy Condon's which is irish in downtown Charleston, don't order the shepherd's pie. It'll just piss you off. It's a complete ripoff, they do it all wrong :( Burgers are great though.

Thanks for the advice there. I will take note. Lara hasnt mentioned about any smell hahahaha, i aint going to say anymore on that subject lol. Im really looking forward to the different kinds of food there but i aint a big fan on fast food.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

You should come up to Pittsburgh for a Scottish bar. Piper's Pub on Carson Street.

K1

04/05/2008 - I-129F Sent to VSC

04/10/2008 - I-129F NOA1 Received

07/20/2008 - I-129F NOA2 Received (106 Days after filing)

08/08/2008 - Packet 3 Received

08/09/2008 - Packet 3 Sent

08/12/2008 - Medical

08/25/2008 - Packet 4 Received

09/04/2008 - Interview - Approved!!!!

09/08/2008 - Visa Received

09/12/2008 - US Entry (EDI-JFK-PIT)

AOS

09/27/2008 - AOS Packet Sent

10/02/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-765 and I-131

10/20/2008 - I-485 Transferred To CSC

10/28/2008 - Biometrics

11/28/2008 - I-765 and I-131 Received

02/03/2009 - I-485 Card Production Ordered

Removal of Conditions

11/06/2010 - I-751 Sent to VSC

11/08/2010 - I-751 Received at VSC

11/09/2010 - NOA for I-751

11/15/2010 - Check Cashed

11/17/2010 - NOA Hard Copy Received

12/07/2010 - Biometrics in Pittsburgh

Citizenship

11/06/2010 - Filing Date

We live in OH and my husband can't handle the heat :) He also can't handle the cold or the snow ;) We really want to go out that way for a trip soon. I want to move out that way in a few years, but he likes it where we are.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

We live in OH and my husband can't handle the heat :) He also can't handle the cold or the snow ;) We really want to go out that way for a trip soon. I want to move out that way in a few years, but he likes it where we are.

The cold dont bother me at all. I would swap the snow for the humidity anyday. We would love to move to New England in the future, but whether that happens is another story.

beach_1_001.jpg

Hi there, I just moved (back) to SC a few weeks ago. I actually lived here before, about 8 years ago, then lived in Florida, then back in the UK and now moved back to SC for a few months before we move on to Kentucky. We're just outside of Columbia right now.

The humidity in the Summer is pretty icky, it's kinda swampy here. But on the plus side almost everywhere has air conditioning, so as long as you're inside it's ok :) Everything is in bloom at the moment, very pretty, but the pine trees are driving my husbands allergies crazy.

I mostly like Southern Food, and Cracker Barrel is yummy! I don't like Grits though! But biscuits and sausage gravy are good.

South Carolina is kind of a slow pace of life, it's quite nice. Most people are very polite!

---------------------------------------

14/Jul/97 - Met Rick in UK

04/Nov/97 - Travelled to US on visitors visa

01/Jan/98 - Married in US

1998 - 2000 - Long process with Immigration obtaining Green Card #1.

20/May/2003 - Left US for UK

11/Feb/2004 - Child #1 born

14/Jul/2005 - Child #2 born

August 2007 - Decide we need to move back to USA. Kicking self for not getting citizenship.

24/Sep/2007 - I-130 sent

28/Sep/2007 - I-130 NOA1

12/Dec/2007 - I-130 Approved

11/Jan/2008 - Police Certificate applied for

11/Jan/2008 - DS-230 part 1 sent off

14/Jan/2008 - Medical booked for Jan 21st

21/Jan/2008 - Medical in London - all clear!

24/Jan/2008 - Statement of readiness sent to embassy

09/Feb/2008 - Police clearance arrived

14/Mar/2008 - Interview at 9am!! APPROVED!

18/Mar/2008 - Visa arrived!

22/Mar/2008 - Being made homeless!

23/Mar/2008 - Flight to USA!!

12/Apr/2008 - Greencard arrived!

Done with immigration until I can apply for citizenship in 2011.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi, I live in Myrtle Beach. I'm finding it really strange here - it was ok to visit but to live I'm not sure about it. There are no real jobs except wait staff and hotel staff and the last time I was a waitress I was 16. Also, Charleston office is really slow. We sent the adjustment of status paperwork in November and we are still waiting. I have been for biometrics but not for the interview yet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi there, I just moved (back) to SC a few weeks ago. I actually lived here before, about 8 years ago, then lived in Florida, then back in the UK and now moved back to SC for a few months before we move on to Kentucky. We're just outside of Columbia right now.

The humidity in the Summer is pretty icky, it's kinda swampy here. But on the plus side almost everywhere has air conditioning, so as long as you're inside it's ok :) Everything is in bloom at the moment, very pretty, but the pine trees are driving my husbands allergies crazy.

I mostly like Southern Food, and Cracker Barrel is yummy! I don't like Grits though! But biscuits and sausage gravy are good.

South Carolina is kind of a slow pace of life, it's quite nice. Most people are very polite!

Oooo I love the Crack-####### Barrel! As an American I personally believe that the biscuits and gravy are the best thing about this country and that I hope our next president will give them out to foreign dignitaries as an expression of goodwill between our nation and theirs :lol:

wtf-picard.jpg

Is there still that pub in Charleston (downtown I think), called the Griffon. Kind of a snotty, trust-fund-baby Southern bourbon elite hang out if I remember it correctly (it's been 10 years), but it was a Scottish or British or English pub, I believe.

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.