Immigration Blues

AOS interview if I130 is already approved

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

If the I-130 was already approved at the time of AOS filing, will an interview still be required? I am asking this question based on the following assumption:

- AOS interview is to validate the marriage. When the marriage is validated, the I130 and AOS are approved together

- by approving the I130, USCIS recognizes that the authenticity of the marriage. Hence if the I130 was already approved at the time of AOS filing, then why would an interview still be required?

Any thoughts on this?

Our Journey...

• Married Dec 2006
  • I-130 filed in Jan 2007
  • I-130 approved April 2007
  • AOS, EAD, AP Filed on 02/19/2008 (Chicago) - Application transferred to National Benefits Center
  • Biometrics completed on 03/11/2008, all applications touched on the same day
  • I-765 touched and EAD card production ordered April 14, 2008
  • AP touched and approved April 14, 2008
  • AP touched April 15, 2008
  • I-765 touched and EAD card production ordered (why again????)April 16, 2008
  • I-765 touched April 17, 2008
  • AP received April 19, 2008
  • EAD received April 21, 2008
  • I-765 touched and received approval email April, 21 2008.
  • I-765 touched April 22, 2008
  • Interview notice received November 20, 2008. Interview date January 6, 2009
  • I-485 touched Dec 24, 2008
  • I-485 touched Dec 29 2008
  • AOS interview completed. Verbal approval obtained from interviewing officer on Jan 06 2009
  • I-485 touched and card production ordered Jan 07, 2009
  • Welcome letter received Jan 12, 2009
  • Permanent Resident card received Jan 15, 2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In our case, our I-130 was approved along with I-129F. We got our K3 visa and filed AOS. We have an interview scheduled for tomorrow.

I don't know for sure, but it looked like to me that many that were approved without an AOS interview were K1 visa. My thoughts are maybe they figured these people are so newly married there's not a lot of evidence so no need to look at all their evidence (I'm thinking they assume CR-1/IR-1/K3 visa folks have been married longer and would have evidence). Then this is just a guess but those that didn't have the original AOS interview (since they were K1 newlyweds) might have an interview when removing conditions whereas those that already had the AOS interview don't need to be intervied again. Just my thoughts.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Approval of the I-130 does not demonstrate the authenticity of the marriage... It simply means that the petitioner has effectively demonstrated the proper evidence for approval. Relationship bonafides are determined/reviewed at interview.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.