metta

Maya Angelou supports Clinton

76 posts in this topic

Isn't the Democratic strategy of "not campaigning in FL" a little bit stupid? The "punishment" of MI and FL by the DNC was dumb and clearly works to the Republicans advantage.

I'm not sure what Obama's strategy is for the general election, but I would imagine he will campaign in FL should he become the nominee.

I'm sure he will. Candidates start going to Iowa 18 months or more before the Caucus there, you know, to build an early advantage if they can. Some can "come from behind," sure but considering that turnout for the FL Democratic primary was almos t double what it was in 2000 even though it didn't count suggests he has a mountain to climb. Maybe you will explain that as "cheating" by Clinton, but I think it points to a serious chink in the Democrats ability to win there.

Has he "got a free ride."? The man was been pulled through the gutter by members of his own party and conservative commentators from 00 to very recently. Maybe that works to his advantage - I think it does.

Besides that I would argue that Obama's free ride is only just now ending.

Exactly.

90day.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, that's right. Because he's clearly gotten to this point solely as a result of affirmative action. :rolleyes:

Big Dog - I read in the New York Times Chris Matthew's comparing Obama's campaign to "The New Testament." I had to read it twice - was a major political commentator actually comparing a political campaign to the Holy Bible, the basis of christianity and the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ? He was. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't see this 1. an incredible example of a "left wing bias" in the media we are always hearing about from the right. 2. unbelieveably cringeworthy

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Has he "got a free ride."? The man was been pulled through the gutter by members of his own party and conservative commentators from 00 to very recently. Maybe that works to his advantage - I think it does.

This Presidential Campaign has been full of surprises. Seven months ago, everyone thought Hillary was going to be the Democratic nominee and even her lead strategist was hoping that she would have swept up the nomination on Super Tuesday. Nobody was predicting McCain to be the heir apparent because he is so disliked by so many Right Wing Republicans...some even calling him a RINO. Obama's rise to being in the lead for the Democratics deserves recognition....it was a come from behind situation and shock to the establishment - some thinking that nobody could beat Hillary, and some thinking that this country isn't ready for a black president. I suppose every candidate will have their harshest critics, but when the harshest criticism aimed at Obama is that he's too 'pretty' or speaks too 'pretty', then I don't think he should worry too much when he's faced off with McCain in the general election.

Steve - I thinkg a lot of people worry that all he can do is "speak pretty." I have heard a lot of lifelong Democrats express this reservation. People who weren't necessarily big Clinton supporters but think John McCain is not bad for a Republican)

if the Obama campaign under-estimates McCain (as some people here do), I can't help but feel they are setting themselves up for defeat

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Oh, that's right. Because he's clearly gotten to this point solely as a result of affirmative action. :rolleyes:

:lol:

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Steve - I thinkg a lot of people worry that all he can do is "speak pretty." I have heard a lot of lifelong Democrats express this reservation. People who weren't necessarily big Clinton supporters but think John McCain is not bad for a Republican)

if the Obama campaign under-estimates McCain (as some people here do), I can't help but feel they are setting themselves up for defeat

Obama has and will continue to campaign hard. The reality is that no matter what he says or does isn't going to the change the minds of some voters....the same could be said about McCain and Hillary.

I know this rubs some Republicans the wrong way here, but the Democrats will win the WH - whether it's Hillary or Obama, and they'll win it over two critical issues, the economy and the war in Iraq. Ironically, Bush won his second term on wedge issues as well. When this country is in turmoil, I think wedge issues become more prevelant in terms of how people will vote, and those two issues are what is on the minds of Americans....there's no wiping that from their memory.

Filed: Timeline

If all he can do is speak pretty, then he wouldn't be the Democratic front runner. At the end of the day, he ran and continues to run a much more successful campaign than Hillary does. It takes more than just speaking pretty to accomplish this. Ask Hillary, she should know by now. ;)

And no, McCain is not to be taken lightly as a candidate. But he is not the inevitable successor of W either.

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I agree. Some years ago, I've seen McCain's kerry's and Richardson's staff work together on Vietnam when conservatives were vehemently opposing normalization on account of MIA issue.

I also know that when Kerry's relection was in trouble against Weld? Mccain's staff went to Boston to help the campaign.

In short, Mccain is not a doctrinaire guy. He is hewig to the conservative side to appeal to his base.

My point is if elected, he will be very sympathetic to bipartisan issues. (He even pondered switching over to the dem side at one point)

That is why, if it comes down to a choice between Obama and McCain, I (even though a democrate to the core)will have to seriously look again at who I will vote for.

I like Obama as I have said before. What he has accomplished up to now is very impressive. Yet, for all his rhetoric, I am not sure if he can handle the very serious issues facing us at this point.

I have been very objectively looking at his record but nothing stands out to tell me that he will not be a second Jimmy Carter.

Timeline
My point is if elected, he [McCain] will be very sympathetic to bipartisan issues.

Such as?

Here are some..

the Bipartisan Campaign Finance Reform Act (with Sen. Feingold),

bipartisan legislation addressing immigration (with Sen. Kennedy),

climate change (with Sen. Lieberman),

patient bill of rights (with former Sen. Edwards),

the Gang of 14.

What turns me off is his positions on Social Security and healthcare.

These are pressing issues and he knows that. He is a reasonable man with very substansive experience who has acted across party lines to solve real issues. Campaign drivien positions delineating one's self from opposition , are not etched in stone when it comes time for resolving real problems.

So that is why I said i will seriously take a good look again and eally mull over who to vote for , if it comes to a choice between Obama and McCain.

People who weren't necessarily big Clinton supporters but think John McCain is not bad for a Republican)

if the Obama campaign under-estimates McCain (as some people here do),

You are not alone in saying that. Obama (the hypocrite) agrees! :rofl: :rofl:

READING, Pennsylvania (CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama conceded Sunday that all three leading presidential contenders would be better than President Bush — including Republican opponent John McCain.

"Either Democrat would be better than John McCain," he said. "And all three of us would be better than George Bush."

In the past, Obama has equated a McCain presidency to a "third Bush term."

link

The irony is astounding. :lol:

My point is if elected, he [McCain] will be very sympathetic to bipartisan issues.

Such as?

Here are some..

the Gang of 14.

These are pressing issues and he knows that. He is a reasonable man with very substansive experience who has acted across party lines to solve real issues. Campaign drivien positions delineating one's self from opposition , are not etched in stone when it comes time for resolving real problems.

So that is why I said i will seriously take a good look again and eally mull over who to vote for , if it comes to a choice between Obama and McCain.

The centerpieces that will matter are where to go with the mess Bush will leave the next President in the Middle East and what to do to ensure that more than just a few participate in economic upturns again. Note that under Bush, for the first time in history, most Americans were left behind during the last economic expansion. McCain doesn't bring anything new to the table on either of these issues but promises more of the same.

Timeline

Such as?

Here are some..

the Gang of 14.

The centerpieces that will matter are where to go with the mess Bush will leave the next President in the Middle East and what to do to ensure that more than just a few participate in economic upturns again. Note that under Bush, for the first time in history, most Americans were left behind during the last economic expansion. McCain doesn't bring anything new to the table on either of these issues but promises more of the same.