kc456

Documentation requirements -- passport?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi -- I'm not filing yet... but would like to know what role the passport (from your country of citizenship) play in the process. I looked at the documentation requirement (from the back of the USCIS guide), and do not see a passport on the list of documents -- unless I missed it? Only saw that you are required to provide a copy of your GC with N-400 application.

If passport is required, does it have to be unexpired within a particular timeframe, when you file? I'm also reading that people are asked to bring it to the interview -- does it have to be valid at the time?

My passport expires in 2009 around the time I would be eligible to file N-400, and I'd like to know if i need to renew it ahead of time.

Thanks!

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Timeline
Hi -- I'm not filing yet... but would like to know what role the passport (from your country of citizenship) play in the process. I looked at the documentation requirement (from the back of the USCIS guide), and do not see a passport on the list of documents -- unless I missed it? Only saw that you are required to provide a copy of your GC with N-400 application.

If passport is required, does it have to be unexpired within a particular timeframe, when you file? I'm also reading that people are asked to bring it to the interview -- does it have to be valid at the time?

My passport expires in 2009 around the time I would be eligible to file N-400, and I'd like to know if i need to renew it ahead of time.

Thanks!

I do not think you need to renew your passport just for naturalization. After all you will most probably apply for a US passport afterwards. However if you need to travel while your case is being processed you will need a valid passport. Also if your country allows dual citizenship you might want to hold on to it as well.

Removing Conditioins

02/25/08 Mailed I751

03/05/08 Check cashed by Californice Service Center not Nebraska!

03/07/08 Got NOA1 Dated 02/27/08

03/15/08 Biometrics Letter rec'd

03/31/08 Biometrics Done

06/03/08 Got Approval Email

06/10/08 Gr. Card Received!

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice, only an opinion.

Thanks!

When you go for your naturalization interview, you have to bring the document with which you legally entered the US, which for my wife was her CR1 Visa in her passport. Need to bring it even if the passport is expired. Don't know if you need to renew.

Edited by Sherlock

--------------------

Naturalization Timeline

28 JUL 2007 - Sent N-400 and supporting documentation

20 AUG 2007 - Bank Website indicates check has been cashed

15 NOV 2007 - Received NOA

28 NOV 2007 - Received Biometrics Appointment letter

18 DEC 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

14 MAR 2008 - Received Interview Appointment letter

05 APR 2008 - Interview (Baltimore) SUCCESS!!

14 APR 2008 - Citizenship Oath

17 APR 2008 - Applied for US Passport

03 May 2008 - US Passport Received!!!

**Any comments or advice given by me is based on the circumstances of my specific case, and does not infer an in-depth knowledge of immigration law.**

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

thanks, this is very helpful!

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

I don't believe you need a valid passport to naturalize.

But they do want to verify that your dates of travel are accurately accounted for, to be sure you meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. So they may want to see all passports that cover the time since you've been a permanent resident. Even if a passport is expired, it still may be useful as evidence of travel (or lack of travel).

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

• 1 month later...
I don't believe you need a valid passport to naturalize.

But they do want to verify that your dates of travel are accurately accounted for, to be sure you meet the continuous residence and physical presence requirements. So they may want to see all passports that cover the time since you've been a permanent resident. Even if a passport is expired, it still may be useful as evidence of travel (or lack of travel).

My interview is next week. My appointment letter asks for my passport "and/or any other documents you used with any entries into the United States." My letter doesn't specifically say a 'current' passport, nor does it specify any time period.

I'll be bringing my current passport, along with my old passport that expired in 2003 which has my original fiance visa along with some entries from when we took vacations out of the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Kind of noticed that after starting with immigration was getting quite a stack of papers, applications, proof, key documents, so went to my OfficeMax and found a large legal sized brief case with plenty of folder compartments. We keep our passports in there as well and that goes with me whenever we visit our field office. It took some organizing so can whip out any document quickly as you never know what they are going to ask.

Made duplicate copies of everything so have identical copies in the same order as exactly sent to the USCIS in their separate folders and for the initial process, they did want a page by page copy of passports.

Didn't take long to realize that the N-400 was a redundant duplicate of the initial and I-751 applications and was surprised they didn't ask for a copy of the passports again, four years went by.

You probably noticed that a lot of time goes between when you filed your application and when it is actually processed, so make a point of adding any additional pertinent information to my brief case.

But the USCIS seems to follow Murphy's law in this respect and consistently. If you bring in all that information they never ask to see it, and if you don't, that is exactly what they want to see.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.