Canadian Taxes Refund Timeline

189 posts in this topic

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I was so excited when I found that the Intl Tax Centre processed my tax return in 4 weeks (when I was hearing it would take alot longer) and will be deposited in my canadian bank account on the 20th then last night I decided to call them to confirm that the amount was the same amount as was submitted only to find out that the amount being deposited was only approx. quarter of what it is was supposed to be!!!! Turns out they must have missed the part in the letter from my tax preparer saying that even though I moved July 2008 , all my 2008 income is from Canada so should get full tax credits. They prorated my tax credits to when I moved etc. instead. I was so upset....I was really counting on that money!!!! Now my tax preparer has to send a T1 adjustment form and a copy of the letter she sent and I will have to wait months for the re-assessment like some of you have had to for your 2007 returns.

The lady from the Intl tax Centre said "but you will get interest on this money" I said, "well that doesnt help me now"!

Linda, sounds like your situation is exactly like mine. Count on it taking a year to get the rest of your money.

I got $32 in interest. (3%).....I'd have much rather had the money then.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, I was so excited when I found that the Intl Tax Centre processed my tax return in 4 weeks (when I was hearing it would take alot longer) and will be deposited in my canadian bank account on the 20th then last night I decided to call them to confirm that the amount was the same amount as was submitted only to find out that the amount being deposited was only approx. quarter of what it is was supposed to be!!!! Turns out they must have missed the part in the letter from my tax preparer saying that even though I moved July 2008 , all my 2008 income is from Canada so should get full tax credits. They prorated my tax credits to when I moved etc. instead. I was so upset....I was really counting on that money!!!! Now my tax preparer has to send a T1 adjustment form and a copy of the letter she sent and I will have to wait months for the re-assessment like some of you have had to for your 2007 returns.

The lady from the Intl tax Centre said "but you will get interest on this money" I said, "well that doesnt help me now"!

That's sad....hope the re-assessments will only takes few weeks. Anyways, when did you file your tax return? I tried to log in to my CRA online account and I couldn't determine wheter they received my tax return or not. I'm hoping that my refund will be the same as I expected because I prorated my tax credits based on the number of days I spent in Canada. I will likely get a quarter of my refund if I don't have my student loan credits.....

The only thing I found funny here ( don't want to offend you) is that the lady told you that you will get interest on that money.... interest doesn't cover the full amount as expected.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

Timeline

That's sad....hope the re-assessments will only takes few weeks. Anyways, when did you file your tax return? I tried to log in to my CRA online account and I couldn't determine wheter they received my tax return or not. I'm hoping that my refund will be the same as I expected because I prorated my tax credits based on the number of days I spent in Canada. I will likely get a quarter of my refund if I don't have my student loan credits.....

The only thing I found funny here ( don't want to offend you) is that the lady told you that you will get interest on that money.... interest doesn't cover the full amount as expected.

My tax preparer couriered the return to them on Mar 11th, so they probably received it on the 12th. It was assessed exactly 4 weeks later.

I thought that was pretty funny too...she sounded like she thought she was comforting me.....I would rather have my money now!!!!

Timeline
Linda, sounds like your situation is exactly like mine. Count on it taking a year to get the rest of your money.

I got $32 in interest. (3%).....I'd have much rather had the money then.

Thanks Texanadian, after reading yours and Krikit's posts, I have resigned myself to the fact it will take that long. I would much rather have the money right now too! Will keep you posted.

Timeline

How long do we need to wait until our tax returns will show up online with a status "received"?

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

How long do we need to wait until our tax returns will show up online with a status "received"?

Mmmm something like 3 weeks. After they're received, count on 1 month before they're assessed.

On that note, my 2008 was just accessed on Friday. Mailing out the cheque to me on Monday. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Finally, my 2008 tax return has been assessed within 4-6 weeks. Based on my assessment, I got 100% amount of my refund as expected but they have added few more dollars for my CPP over payment which I haven't noticed and calculated. I was wondering if how long does it takes for the refund check to get mailed out. It says there that assessment date is on May 14, 2009. What does it mean?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Finally, my 2008 tax return has been assessed within 4-6 weeks. Based on my assessment, I got 100% amount of my refund as expected but they have added few more dollars for my CPP over payment which I haven't noticed and calculated. I was wondering if how long does it takes for the refund check to get mailed out. It says there that assessment date is on May 14, 2009. What does it mean?

How did you find out it was assessed, online? I can't check mine for some reason, maybe that means it hasn't been done. I sent it 1.5 months ago. You didn't sign up for direct deposit?

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

How did you find out it was assessed, online? I can't check mine for some reason, maybe that means it hasn't been done. I sent it 1.5 months ago. You didn't sign up for direct deposit?

I sent my tax package on March 25, 2009 and it was noted "received" on my account on April 28, 2009. On May 6, my return was successfully assessed online however, the date of assessment noted " May 14, 2009". I did sign up for direct deposit but it was rejected on May 7. I tried to update my bank account online to avail for direct deposit butI was told that once the direct deposit was rejected, there is no hope to avail. CRA will issue me a check.

Edited by jhunjhun

Timeline

Mmmm something like 3 weeks. After they're received, count on 1 month before they're assessed.

On that note, my 2008 was just accessed on Friday. Mailing out the cheque to me on Monday. :)

How did you know that your cheque will be mailed on monday? I tried to call the telerefund and it says that I will receive my refund no later on May 28. My return was assessed on 14th of May

Timeline

An update: I received my income tax refund in the mail on May 20...the assessment date was on May 14. It was very quick.....

Timeline

Just wanted to add my bit (thanks all for posting your info - it helped me not freak out at week two).

April 23, 2009 - mailed T1 tax return to the international tax office

May 25, 2009 - status changed to 'received' on line - YAY!

03/01/07 Mailed I-130 priority post to Nebraska.

06/19/07 Approved!!!

07/10/07 NVC assigned case #.

10/25/07 NVC Case Complete!!!!

01/22/08 Original Monreal interview- requested to reschedule, told 3-4 month wait.

04/17/08 Interview in Montreal

04/21/08 Received VISA package

06/24/08 Crossed border

07/26/08 Received conditional greencard

07/28/08 Received SSN in mail (went down and applied in person 07/14/08)

08/11/08 Infopass appointment to request 10yr greencard instead of conditional. Mailed out 1-90 with support.

09/25/08 Received case # for I-90

02/17/09 Received 10yr greencard!!! WOOHOO

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.