nad05zb

moroccan cooking

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So today I am watching foodnetwork and I come across Tylers ultimate he is making brick chicken with "moroccan flat bread" and will be over a wonderful bed of couscous. Well mister I have tried your "moroccan" food along with the rest of the crappy foodnetwork stuff the assume that it is. Well as I have been looking all over for a good recipe I have found 1 out of millions that you people think is moroccan because it has either a.) cumin or b.) couscous if you have either of those into your recipe apparently its moroccan. Not only have I had a severly angry moroccan says what is this, this isn't moroccan food. Also this flat bread that you make out of pizza dough and some spices it more like naan bread then anything moroccan. All I want to do is go onto the foodnetwork slap every moron such as tyler and robin miller who think couscous makes life moroccan. GGRRRR. So you ask where can you find good moroccan food that you can make at home for your habibi or something tasty I have a few.

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Cookbook/Moroc...AN%20MINT%20TEA

http://209.85.135.104/translate_c?hl=fr&am...-marocaine.com/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_12515,00.html

So before you think of making something you "think" is moroccan these are true because my habibi the moroccan from Meknes says so.

.png

How it started:

10/17/05 Answered email from him asking to talk

10/20/05 First time talking on hotmail msn

2/5-15/06 First visit, love his family celebrated my 20th birthday there

6/15- 7/15/06 stayed at parents house again in Morocco got engaged

10/16/06 got a good job so I had to wait to see him again

1/14-28/07 went to see him again for the last time in Morocco

2/8/07 happy birthday to me and I sent the papers for K-1

2/12/07 NOA1 for K-1 visa

2/28/07 NOA2 For K-1

3/1/07 sent to Visa Center

4/15/07 interview

STUPID TERRORISTS RUINED THE INTERVIEW DATE

waited for 2 months of nothing

6/5/07 interview

6/10/07 got visa

6/26/07 came to america

8/8/07 got MARRIED YEA FINALLY!!!

AOS-

Filed AOS & EAD-2/14/08

2/21/08- Chicago received our package

2/27/08-sent NOA1 for both EAD and I-485

3/11/08- Boimetrics& RFE

3/21/08- sent back RFE with all info

3/31/08-received RFE info

4/2-touched

4/18-EAD card ordered:D:D:D:D

4/23-card created& AOS transfered to CSC!!!

4/24- AOS touched:D

4/26- EAD CARD RECEIVED!!! WOOHOOO

4/30- AOS touched

5/01-AOS touched again

5/11-12-13-14-15-AOS touched

6/11/2008 RFE2

6/20/2008 sent out info for RFE2

6/26/2008 touched again

8/20/2008 received green card

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

wow, angry about that huh? why not write a letter to the food network? *shrug* Just about every ethnic food in some place is made not quite authentic.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This reminds me of how my mom always tries so hard, it's very sweet. When we go over there for dinner she's always pulling out some "Moroccan" recipe that she got off of Food Network and places like that. We never say anything to her, of course, but Wadi always comments to me afterwards about how non-Moroccan the dish really was. Last time I think it was "Moroccan Fish", and it probably had some cumin in it somewhere, lol.

Filed: Timeline
wow, angry about that huh? why not write a letter to the food network? *shrug* Just about every ethnic food in some place is made not quite authentic.

Yeah really. Mexican food here is nothing close to real Mexican food. I don't see us getting all bent out of shape about it. Actually, we frequent Mexican restaurants here in the states even though it's not authentic. I agree with my sister, I think it would be better to tell Food Network instead of us here on VJ.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yeah, Chinese food here in the US isn't anywhere like Chinese food eaten in China. Italian food isn't anything like Olive Garden or Buca diBeppo.

A lot of food is adapted to the country it is being cooked in. Palates vary.

I'm guessing authentic moroccan cooking makes one angry. I'll stick to the imitation.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Italian food isn't anything like Olive Garden

:o:o:o:o:o

This reminds me of how my mom always tries so hard, it's very sweet. When we go over there for dinner she's always pulling out some "Moroccan" recipe that she got off of Food Network and places like that. We never say anything to her, of course, but Wadi always comments to me afterwards about how non-Moroccan the dish really was. Last time I think it was "Moroccan Fish", and it probably had some cumin in it somewhere, lol.

Awww, bless her for tryin' though. She's making an effort.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Italian food isn't anything like Olive Garden

:o:o:o:o:o

Awww, bless her for tryin' though. She's making an effort.

Oh I know, she gets so excited about it too!

It's funny because the Indian food you can get at some of the places near me are "just like home" but people who grew up eating Indian in europe just don't like it...

There's nothing wrong with changing recipes to suit local tastes.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Unless the person complaining about taste, authenticity, etc., can actually cook and reproduce what they are talking about themselves, I don't give them much credit.

Anyone can whine about anything, but few can just show, teach, educate others and show them how they do things and explain why it is that their way is more authentic.

Heck, one of the best things about the US is the vast amount of cultures squished together into what should be one nation.

If Moroccan food is such a big deal, then open a restaurant or something and share some tasty dishes with the rest of us.

That's why I am an assiduous reader of VJ's MENA cooking pinned thread!!!! I love those authentic recipes!!

And I would NEVER subject Bren to what they call "Mexican food" around here <_< it s-u-c-k-s. I do have a nice real Mexican store right around the corner, so I cook for him (provided he's done the laundry and gave me a foot rub :devil:)

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

LOL its funny to see people get so bent out of shape over stuff like that.

Jenn I think its so sweet your mama does that. My mom would never attempt Moroccan food for Abdou and I to eat...she waits for Abdou to do it for her! lol

I'm guessing authentic moroccan cooking makes one angry. I'll stick to the imitation.

You don't know what you're missing! :devil:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

It's funny because the Indian food you can get at some of the places near me are "just like home" but people who grew up eating Indian in europe just don't like it...

There's nothing wrong with changing recipes to suit local tastes.

You say Europe, but I'm guessing you mean Britain right?

Every time I go to Italy, I ask for some real authentic Hospitaliano

90day.jpg