aravis227

Buying a house

10 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this is the right board to ask this question...but I figured others on here have probably been through this. I also know I'm a little early...but as I've said before...I like to plan ahead! :goofy: We want to buy a house pretty soon after he moves here, but I'm not sure how that works with his AOS. Do we have to wait until the AOS is approved before he can be on the mortgage?

See my timeline for my K-1 and AOS/EAD/AP details.

ROC

April 1, 2011-Packet sent, back to the grind!

April 2, 2011-USPS confirms delivery to CSC

April 18, 2011-Received biometrics letter

May 5, 2011-Biometrics appointment, quick and easy

June 16, 2011-Card production ordered!

June 24, 2011-Card received

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

My wonderful little family: Dennis, Andrea, and Malcolm

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I'm not sure if this is the right board to ask this question...but I figured others on here have probably been through this. I also know I'm a little early...but as I've said before...I like to plan ahead! :goofy: We want to buy a house pretty soon after he moves here, but I'm not sure how that works with his AOS. Do we have to wait until the AOS is approved before he can be on the mortgage?

I think it depends on the mortgage holder. Some don't care and some are exceptionally picky. Good luck house hunting!!! :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

we looked at buying and they said they could nto use my income.. I had to wait 18 months.. seemed odd..

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Because he won't have a credit history in the US, your mortgage interest will be higher. It may be cheaper to get the mortgage in your name, but include him on the title to the house. I've heard of other doing this, but do no have personal experience with it.

I thought that they could look up his credit in Canada? Am I completely hallucinating and wishful thinking? I have really crappy credit, he has really good credit...so it could just be hoping :)

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I recently refinanced my mortgage in Florida and my wife who still lives in the Phils had to sign the documents. In Florida, the law requires the spouse to co-sign the documents even though at this point she isn't listed on the title (I'll change that when she arrives). I'm not sure if there are credit companies like transunion, etc.. in other countries but they said they didn't use her credit rating to set the interest rate. I would guess that if she had been living in the USA, her lack of a credit record might have had an effect.

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2007-05-24

I-130 Sent : 2007-08-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-15 receipt date

I-130 NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

I-129F Sent : 2008-02-29

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-03

I-129F RFE(s) : None

RFE Reply(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-08-26 (email)

I-129F NOA2: 2008-09-02 Hardcopy

NVC Received :2008-09-04

NVC Left : 2008-09-04

Consulate Received :2008-09-12

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Medical: 2008-09-23,24

Sputum Test Passed, complete medical: 2008-12-08

Interview Date : 2008-12-22, White Slips, need current marriage index and CENOMAR

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-01

I-130 Approval : 2008-08-26

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 179 days from your filing date.

Your I-130 was approved in 364 days from your filing date.

I think some people have had success with looking up credit scores in Canada .... not sure exactly what they said to make that happen. Hopefully someone will come along here with that experience.

For us, we have not had any luck with that .... hubby still shows as having no credit score in the U.S. When we bought our house, my credit was very good and our realtor suggested just having the mortgage in my name rather than complicating the issue since his credit was apparently non-existent here.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

I think some people have had success with looking up credit scores in Canada .... not sure exactly what they said to make that happen. Hopefully someone will come along here with that experience.

For us, we have not had any luck with that .... hubby still shows as having no credit score in the U.S. When we bought our house, my credit was very good and our realtor suggested just having the mortgage in my name rather than complicating the issue since his credit was apparently non-existent here.

Hmmm...so basically it's like waiting for USCIS. No one really knows and all we can do is guess...and then they'll probably change the rules without telling us anyway? :whistle:;)

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When we bought, we just used my wifes credit rating (she is the yank), but i was put on the deed of the house! So she can't just tel me to ####### off,lol!! When we refinanced this past fall, i was on the new mortgage. I have never worked (RN student) in the usa and they did not check my Cdn credit rating. But I have had credit cards, and paid them off, and have excellent credit rating

When it comes to mortgages, they probably wouldnt check the Cdn rating, especially if that person wasnt working, maybe a different case if the CDn was working. And from what I understand about the current Mortgage fiasco, is that some lenders are cracking down!!

One can always check around to see what the bank is going to lend ya and at what rate. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

When it comes to mortgages, they probably wouldnt check the Cdn rating, especially if that person wasnt working, maybe a different case if the CDn was working. And from what I understand about the current Mortgage fiasco, is that some lenders are cracking down!!

I know! That scares me a bit...we'll have a significant down payment (he's going to sell his house in the next couple of months) and we're not going to buy until he's working. Sometimes I wonder if we're making the right choice in having him come here instead of me going there. :unsure: We'll have a much better support structure here...I'm really close to my family and friends...that's what made us decide to come here.

ROC

CRW_7744web-1-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.