no one

Quick question about medicals

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my medical in Halifax, payment was in Candian funds and had to be in cash for the medical portion. I had to go to the actual hospital for the bloodwork and Xrays and they accepted credit card I believe. I do not believe any of it was covered by insurance. One got a discount for being a NS resident.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hi

Do you have to bring your passport to the doctors as well? or just passport pictures? thanks

our timeline

01/03/06 - mailed I-129F application to NSC

01/16/06 - received NOA1 via snail mail

03/07/06 - received NOA2 via e-mail

03/22/06 - received at NVC

03/23/06 - case forwarded to embassy (Montreal)

04/03/06 - packet 3 arrives from embassy

04/11/06 - sent checklist and DS-230 part 1 to embassy

07/07/06 - Interview in Montreal

07/07/06 - Visa denied, handed in completed I-601

08/19/06 - I-601 received in Vermont

Filed: Timeline
hi

Do you have to bring your passport to the doctors as well? or just passport pictures? thanks

Sorry, yes. I forgot to mention that. You absolutely need to bring your passport. There were a few people who showed up for their medical without it and they were sent home to get it and/or had to reschedule their appointments.

Question: Is there a fee for the medical? (I can't believe it's covered by OHIP.) Do they want U.S. cash?

They will tell you the fee when you call to make the appointment. I believe it was $165 +. If you go to your family doctor beforehand you can get the re-immunizations covered under OHIP. Otherwise, they will charge you additional for that.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I called Dr Seidens office b4 I went to make an appointment, although its just a 'show up b4 10 am on monday and wednesday' tthing, but they told me everything I would need to bring, including cash for the fee...well they didnt tell me 'cash' so I had to walk down the street a wee bit to McDonalds to an ATM.

The office was easy to find and parking was easy, for someone who detests driving in Toronto...it was painless :)

I think my immunization record was missing some things that I knew I had (Im amazed I still had the damn thing) so I called the hospital back home and they faxed it to him no charge wo0o0gho0 gotta love co-operation :)

12/25/2001 : Met on telephone thanks to mutual friend

03/02/2001 : Met face to face at a concert in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

07/06/2004 : I-129F Sent

07/19/2004 : I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

10/20/2004 : I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

11/01/2004 : Package Received By NVC

11/04/2004 : Rec'd Instructions (Pkt 3)

07/01/2005 : Completed Instructions (Pkt 3)

09/01/2005 : Rec'd Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

11/07/2005 : Interview!!!

11/20/2005 : Visa Received

12/03/2005 : US Entry, finally home

02/04/2006 : Wedding !!!

02/13/2006 : AOS, AP & EAD filed

02/16/2006 : AOS, EAD & AP rec'd

02/24/2006 : NOA for AP rejected (I ticked wrong box duh0

02/27/2006 : NOA for AOS, EAD

03/13/2006 : Biometrics appt

03/05/2006 : amended AP application rec'd

03/09/2006 : NOA for AP

04/06/2006 : RFE for AOS (co-sponsor affidavit)

04/07/2006 : AP approved

04/13/2006 : AP recieved

05/25/2006 : EAD approved

05/29/2006 : used AP for the first time

06/01/2006 : EAD rec'd

07/04/2006 : AP used again to pick up my son, activated his visa (he was a follow to join)

07/13/2006 : AP touched ??? (possibly because I used it july 4th?)

08/01/2006 : Interview date

08/12/2006 : AOS touched

08/14/2006 : Gerrys biometrics

10/10/2006 : AOS interview for Gerry

10/28/2006, 11/11/2006, 11/18/2006, my AOS touched ; 10/12/2006,12/04/2006 : Gerry's AOS touched

12/07/2006 : AOS APPROVED !!!!!!!

12/16/2006 : GREEN CARDS IN HAND!

09/24/2008 : Apply for Removal of Conditions

09/26/2008 : 1 Yr Conditional Resident Extention

11/01/2008 : Biometrics for both of us

01/??/2009 : 10 Year Green Cards!!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Regarding pictures: I had extra prints made yesterday at the shop where the photo was taken. Since it was no longer in the digital camera (taken in March) it was possible to scan and print on photo paper. A sheet of 16 was $10. An interesting option under the heading: be overly prepared.

Question: Is there a fee for the medical? (I can't believe it's covered by OHIP.) Do they want U.S. cash?

Yes.. there is a fee for the medical.. it's $185 CAD CASH for Dr. Seiden.. no credit cards, checks, or money orders. And it isn't the appointment letter from Packet 4 that they want.. it's the cover letter for Packet 3 stating that you can apply for the visa.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Still waiting for Packet 3, but I'm a little bit confused about the medical that needs to be done before the K1 interview.

Is there a particular doctor that we must see? I keep reading about someone (someplace?) called Dr. Seiden's. Will I be getting more detailed information about where to get my medical done in Packet 3?

Thanks! :-)

You can read about my medical experience with Dr. Seiden's here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...wtopic=6414&hl=

You get your appointment letter in packet 3. They want that letter.

You need your case # when you book the medical. They used all 3 photos I took. And even though I did take my appointment letter they never looked at it. That's just my experience though.

Hope this helps!

Adjustment of Status 2008

May 6, 2008 ~~~~~~~ I751 package mailed to Vermont

May 17, 2008 ~~~~~~~~Check Cashed

May 19, 2008 ~~~~~~~~ NOA1

June 20, 2008 ~~~~~~~ Fingerprinting appointment

April 1, 2009 ~~~~~~~~ APPROVED!!!!

K-1 Visa

October 11, 2005 ~~~~~ Mailed I129F (Vermont)

October 25, 2005 ~~~~~ NOA2 in email (yay)

February 8, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview Day! APPROVED!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

March 27, 2006 ~~~~~~ Mailed AOS, EAD, AP to Chicago

March 29, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS, EAD, AP arrives at Chicago Lockbox

March 31, 2006 ~~~~~~~ NOA's for all 3

April 18, 2006 ~~~~~~ Biometrics Appointment in Providence

May 15, 2006 ~~~~~~ RFE in the mail-more financial info

May 26, 2006 ~~~~~~ AOS touched

June 19, 2006 ~~~~~ EAD Card in the mail

July 27, 2006 ~~~~~ Interview for Green Card

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi

Dr. Seiden's office is where my husband had his medicals done...He charges $185.00

had the medicals done on Wed..and picked up results on Fri..

michelle

EAD:

Mailed EAD packet to Chicago: 08-01-2006

Chicago recieved EAD packet: 08-07-2006

Recieved NOA1: 08-12-2006

BIO APPT: 08-24-2006

Touched: 08-26-2006

Touched: 09-11-2006

Touched: 09-12-2006

EAD APPROVED: 09-15-2006

Email notice (3) recieved: 09-18-2006

EAD Card recieved: 09-20-2006

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I called Dr Seidens office b4 I went to make an appointment, although its just a 'show up b4 10 am on monday and wednesday' tthing, but they told me everything I would need to bring, including cash for the fee...well they didnt tell me 'cash' so I had to walk down the street a wee bit to McDonalds to an ATM.

The office was easy to find and parking was easy, for someone who detests driving in Toronto...it was painless :)

I think my immunization record was missing some things that I knew I had (Im amazed I still had the damn thing) so I called the hospital back home and they faxed it to him no charge wo0o0gho0 gotta love co-operation :)

If you haven't got the medical info in your hands please keep on them. This is where Steve and I fell into a big black hole. He went to Medisys, they told him he could have his family Dr fax over the immunization information. He did that and they did, and he waited for it to be sent to him. He had even paid for it to be couriered rather than just mailed. It seemed to be taking forever so finally he called them and they said they didn't get the fax. He again called his Dr, and they faxed the information again. He again waited about a week this time and called them again. They said of 2 pages that were sent they got two copies of the same page! So again he called his Dr who confirmed that both times both pages were sent, they again sent the fax. He waited a couple of days and called them again, and they said they didn't get it. Finally his father went to the Drs office, confirmed that each time all info had been sent, then watched as they sent it again, called Steve immediately to have him call them and finally they got it.

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Sorry... yet another question!

Some of you mentioned an immunization "checklist". What immunizations are required? (gsmaclean, you mentioned getting a pneumococcal vaccination even though you didn't need it, because it was "on the sheet"... what sheet is this?).

I've just received Packet 3 today and it didn't mention a list of vaccinations I need to get...

Timeline
Sorry... yet another question!

Some of you mentioned an immunization "checklist". What immunizations are required? (gsmaclean, you mentioned getting a pneumococcal vaccination even though you didn't need it, because it was "on the sheet"... what sheet is this?).

I've just received Packet 3 today and it didn't mention a list of vaccinations I need to get...

From http://uscis.gov/graphics/generalvac.pdf

What are the vaccination requirements? They are: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus, diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B, hepatitis B, and any other vaccinations recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP). Current ACIP recommendations also include the varicella, haemophilus influenzae type B, and pneumococcal vaccines. The law requires all individuals applying for status as a lawful permanent resident (either by applying for an immigrant visa abroad or for adjustment of status in the United States) to establish that they have been vaccinated. Nonimmigrant (temporary) visa applicants are not required to comply with the vaccination requirements as a condition of visa issuance, but must comply if they apply for adjustment of status at a later date.

From http://uscis.gov/graphics/generalvac.pdf

What are the vaccination requirements? They are: mumps, measles, rubella, polio, tetanus, diphtheria toxoids, pertussis, influenza type B, hepatitis B, and any other vaccinations recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP). Current ACIP recommendations also include the varicella, haemophilus influenzae type B, and pneumococcal vaccines. The law requires all individuals applying for status as a lawful permanent resident (either by applying for an immigrant visa abroad or for adjustment of status in the United States) to establish that they have been vaccinated. Nonimmigrant (temporary) visa applicants are not required to comply with the vaccination requirements as a condition of visa issuance, but must comply if they apply for adjustment of status at a later date.

Thank you! I'd completely forgotten to check the USCIS website for more detailed info.

Timeline

Hey all. On the subject of info needed to take to the medical appointment. My fiance saw his doctor the other day and took his immunization card with him. He told her that he needed to know if he had all vaccinations required for immigration and she looked at his card and said he did. Does he just take that card with him to the medical or does he need an actual statement from his regular physician? Also, he had surgery about a year ago. Does anyone know exactly what the immigration doctor needs from his regular physician regarding surgeries or any other reasons he's had to see her?

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Timeline
Hey all. On the subject of info needed to take to the medical appointment. My fiance saw his doctor the other day and took his immunization card with him. He told her that he needed to know if he had all vaccinations required for immigration and she looked at his card and said he did. Does he just take that card with him to the medical or does he need an actual statement from his regular physician? Also, he had surgery about a year ago. Does anyone know exactly what the immigration doctor needs from his regular physician regarding surgeries or any other reasons he's had to see her?

At Dr. Siedens they wanted a letter from my doctor with the immunization information on it, along with test results from the titers for the immunizations/diseases I had already had previously. As far as other conditions, prescriptions, surgeries etc., I simply told the doctor myself (I wrote them all down on a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget them all) and they were happy with that.

Timeline

Hmm so even though he has the goverment card showing that he's had all immunizations needed by immigration and it's signed by a doctor that may not be enough? And does he HAVE to have the titre test regardless? Sorry for all the questions. Just confused. I want to make sure he has everything he needs when he goes there so he only has to make the one trip and be done with it.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.