approveus

Banking and Building Credit

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I just arrived in California and thought I'd share my experiences in setting up a bank account.

I went to Citybank and Bank of America but as I didn't have my California license, Permanent Residents Card or a utility bill they couldn't help unless I wanted to do joint accounts with my wife.

Someone else on here recommended Wells Fargo so I paid them a visit. They were able to use my passport and UK credit card as ID and set me up with a checking account, a savings account and checks right there and then. They even set up my online banking for me while I was in the branch.

In addition they are providing me with a secured credit card so I can start building credit.

I was in and out in 30 mins and I got my ATM card 5 days later. Highly recommended although I don't think they operate in every state.

Jamie (Scotland) + Katie (USA)

01-01-2002 - Moved to NYC on J-1 Student Visa.

30-10-2002 - Met Katie in NYC.

01-02-2003 - I return to Scotland.

2002 /2004 - Back and forth UK/USA (many times!)

30-10-2004 - Proposed to Katie. YES!!!

03-02-2005 - Married in Glasgow.

01-03-2005 - Katie returns to US to file UK visa application.

29-03-2005 - UK visa issued!!

06-04-2005 - Katie comes home to Scotland.

11-04-2005 - Filed I-130 DCF London Embassy

14-04-2005 - DCF rejected. Must file through a US SC.

02-06-2005 - Filed I-130 TSC

13-06-2005 - Receipt notice from CSC

28-12-2005 - Received email notification, I-130 approved 21-12-05!!

09-01-2006 - Case received by NVC, case number assigned.

15-11-2006 - NVC complete case and forward to Embassy in London.

19-01-2007 - Interview scheduled for Feb 28th.

06-02-2007 - Medical in London

28-02-2007 - Visa Interview - APPROVED!!!

02-03-2007 - Visa in hand.

23-05-2007 - Enter USA through Newark (EWR)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

hi,

Its true wells fargo is not every state, actually i have heard wells fargo is costly in terms of fees too.. But all that matters is that you got your stuff done

Jigi

Feb 1,2007 - I-130 Reached USCIS.

Feb 4,2007 - I-130 accepted > Get USCIS case Number NOA1.

May 8 ,2007- GET NVC Case Number > NOA2.

June 16 ,2007- Get Order from NVC to pay 70$.

July 2 ,2007- Get DS-3032 in India.

July 7,2007 - DS-3032 choice of address agent entered in NVC.

July 14 ,2007- Get I-864.

July 18 ,2007- I-864 Enters NVC.

July 29 ,2007- Get Order to Pay 380$ fee.

Aug 3 ,2007- 380$ Fee Reached St Louis.

Aug 25,2007 - NVC & St Louis People receive photocopy of my payment with USPS receipt.

After WAITING for 37 days.

Sept 10,2007 - 380$ fee encashed.

Sept 24,2007 - Receive DS-230 in Mail.

Sept 25,2007 - DS-230 despatched.

Sept 26,2007- DS-230 Delivered.

Oct 1,2007 - NVC has DS-230.

Oct 12, 2007 - DS-230 Reviewed. Case Complete

Oct 16, 2007 - Case at Embassy.

Oct 25, 2007- Interview Letter Despatched from Embassy.

Nov 3, 2007 - Recieved Interview Letter.

Dec 1, 2007 - Medical Exam .

I GOT IT

Jan 16 - I am in USA

April 15 2008 - Get my Drivers License.

I-751 Lifting Conditions at California Service Center

November 12, 2009 - I-751 Sent via USPS Express Mail

November 13, 2009 - Receipt of I-1751 Fee

November 20, 2009 - Arrested on Domestic Battery(Had argument with wife)

December 18, 2009 - Biometrics Completed at 9 am.

January 13, 2010 - Receive I-797E Notice for more evidence

February 16, 2010 - Mail reaches Californa Service Center( Next day of Preseidents Day)

February 19, 2010 - Card Production Ordered. Status now IR1

I first applied for a secured credit card in Wells Fargo with only my K-1 visa, CA ID, SSN, passport. Everything seemed okay until I received a letter from their headquarters and cited me their Patriotic Act etc. After 15 days, I received a rejection of application notice which set me off.

So I rushed to BOA as soon as I got my GC. I recently made a follow-up with the 3 credit bureaus and learned that my scores are 721, 690, and 741, experian being the lowest among the three. I let them run a credit report as well so I can have the hardcopy and had them mail it to me. It's free anyway.

I called BOA a few days ago and asked them when I would be eligible to get an unsecured credit card with them, and what is my current APR. I hate to be ####### about things but it's better to do your homework before it's too late to "fix" things, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, BOA gave me all the information I need and they told me I'd be eligible next month on the 16th to be exact, for an unsecured credit card. Of course, I am not closing my doors to checking out other credit card companies but it's really helpful if you take care of these things early, ask questions and don't give up until you get the necessary information you need. I have encountered so many idiotic bank tellers, runarounds, wasted bank visits but I persisted.

It does take time. I have had the secured credit card for 8 months now with BOA.

I just thought my experience might interest other immigrants as well. Good luck.

Edited by krakatoa

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
I just arrived in California and thought I'd share my experiences in setting up a bank account.

I went to Citybank and Bank of America but as I didn't have my California license, Permanent Residents Card or a utility bill they couldn't help unless I wanted to do joint accounts with my wife.

Someone else on here recommended Wells Fargo so I paid them a visit. They were able to use my passport and UK credit card as ID and set me up with a checking account, a savings account and checks right there and then. They even set up my online banking for me while I was in the branch.

In addition they are providing me with a secured credit card so I can start building credit.

I was in and out in 30 mins and I got my ATM card 5 days later. Highly recommended although I don't think they operate in every state.

You only need a "consular matricular card" to set up an account @ BofA. No CDL, no GC, no bill is needed just the CM card. And that can be obtained for free if you are a Mexican citizen at any of the Mexican consulates/embassies in the US.

In the area where I live many Mexican nationals cross the border and do their banking here in the US. One time I went to the local BofA and the teller I got did NOT speak English. That was ok as I was able to communicate in Spanish w/ her. But as I approached her window the look of panic in her eyes was priceless - "Oh god, here comes a 'pinche gringo' and I don't speak English!" :lol:

Si me dieran a elegir una vez más_____ Nos casamos: el 01 de Julio 2008

te elegiría sin pensarlo _______________ Una cita con una abogada para validar la info de VJ: el 24 de Agosto, 2008 (Ya ella me cree)

es que no hay nada que pensar_______ El envio del I-130: el 26 de Agosto 2008

que no existe ni motivo ni razón ______ Entregado a las 14:13 PM en el 26 de Agosto, 2008 en CHICAGO, IL. Firmado por V BUSTAMANTE.

para dudarlo ni un segundo ___________ La 1ra Notificación de Acción (NOA1): el 29 de Agosto 2008

porque tú has sido lo mejor ___________ El cheque al USCIS cobró: el 2 de Septiembre, 2008

que todo este corazón ________________ Un toque el 19 de septiembre, 2008

y que entre el cielo y tú

yo me quedo contigo

-Franco deVita

• 1 month later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.