APR

What is faster and best K1 or K3?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello,

We want to get marry and need to know which is the best way and faster. Is the best way going to Algeria and get marry there (K-3) or apply for a K1? How we can make the arragement? Do we need to contact a lawyer? I have a lot of questions. Please, let us know if any of you can help us to find out the best way to do this. This is our first step, beside asked around and surf the internet.

I-129F Sent: 2010-05-26
I-129F NOA1: 2010-06-03
Touch: 2010-06-07
Touch: 2010-10-14
I-129F NOA2: 2010-10-14 - notified by e-mail 2010-10-15 (approved in 133 days from NOA1)
NVC Received: 2010-10-20
NVC Left: 2010-10-21
Consulate Received:
Packet 3 Received: 2010-12-03
Packet 3 Sent:
Packet 4 Received:
Interview Date: 2011-01-23
Interview Result: Approved
Visa in hand: 2011-02-16
POE: JFK 2011-02-23[url="http://www.tickerfactory.com/"]
[/url]

Filed: Timeline
Hello,

We want to get marry and need to know which is the best way and faster. Is the best way going to Algeria and get marry there (K-3) or apply for a K1? How we can make the arragement? Do we need to contact a lawyer? I have a lot of questions. Please, let us know if any of you can help us to find out the best way to do this. This is our first step, beside asked around and surf the internet.

k-1 and use alex halow.....great attorney

Hello,

k1 very ffast......k3 is one year

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

K-1 is fast....but I would highly recommend the CR1 (getting married first)

It takes longer but they get the green card right away and can WORK right away.

I definitely regret not going that route!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

K-1 is fast....but I would highly recommend the CR1 (getting married first)

It takes longer but they get the green card right away and can WORK right away.

I definitely regret not going that route!

its hard getting married in algeria...it cost me thousads toget married in tunisia...if she does a k1,hell be here in 7 months....cr1s are over a year...nightmare city...id never recommend my route

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

think of more than speed, think ahead to the steps after here and the expenses as they compare

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
think of more than speed, think ahead to the steps after here and the expenses as they compare

exactly. i still stand by my recommendation for a CR1. expensive? maybe. takes longer? yes. but the amount of time they'd be rotting here at home bored waiting for their EAD versus at home in their home country (maybe even working there hopefully!) would be well worth it. i just speak from my personal experience. even though i missed my husband terribly, i think it would have better to do a CR1 than hurry and get him here like I did. :star:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

exactly. i still stand by my recommendation for a CR1. expensive? maybe. takes longer? yes. but the amount of time they'd be rotting here at home bored waiting for their EAD versus at home in their home country (maybe even working there hopefully!) would be well worth it. i just speak from my personal experience. even though i missed my husband terribly, i think it would have better to do a CR1 than hurry and get him here like I did. :star:

I agree 100%....my husband was miserable here waiting..and that created problems for both of us...I would mos def suggest CR1... :thumbs:

MET ONLINE- JUNE 21, 2005

WENT TO VISIT YASSINE IN MOROCCO- APRIL 15, 2006

SENT IN I129F TO CSC- NOVEMBER 2, 2006

RECIEVED NOA1- NOVEMBER 15, 2006

CHECK CLEARED- NOVEMBER 20, 2006

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

NVC RECIEVED CASE-FEBRAURY 16, 2007

NVC SENT CASE TO CASA-FEBRAURAY 21, 2007

CASA RECEIVED-FEBRAURAY 26, 2007

PACKET 3 RECEIVED-MARCH 5, 2007

INTERVIEW DATE-APRIL 4, 2007

VISA RECEIVED- APRIL 12, 2007 WOO HOO!!!!

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

FILED AOS & EAD- JULY 24, 2007

EAD CARD RECEIVED-OCTOBER 3, 2007

GREENCARD INTERVIEW-DECEMBER 13, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

FILING TO REMOVE CONDITIONS-SEPTEMBER 2009!

4621839_bodyshot_300x400.gif

I agree 100%....my husband was miserable here waiting..and that created problems for both of us...I would mos def suggest CR1... :thumbs:

but getting married in algeria is very very hard...it took henia months and months and it took me 2 weeks going through tunis and cost thousands...you have to take that into consideration...its NOT like morocco...it s very very very hard to marry in algeria...

well i think you can give them extra money to let you marry or try bribe. That's how alot of people do it. I'm guessing youre not algerian so they kind of dont want that thing happening extra money should do it or if your spouse knws people there. it might be the route you will take and it's faster to get married in algeria. File for a I-130 immigration and when you get your 797C reciept file the fiance visa 129F if you're a usa citizen. :wacko: sorry if it didnt make sense.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

well i think you can give them extra money to let you marry or try bribe. That's how alot of people do it. I'm guessing youre not algerian so they kind of dont want that thing happening extra money should do it or if your spouse knws people there. it might be the route you will take and it's faster to get married in algeria. File for a I-130 immigration and when you get your 797C reciept file the fiance visa 129F if you're a usa citizen. :wacko: sorry if it didnt make sense.

my husband had a well connected job...you are ALGERIAN ......with AlGErIAN parents...It s easy for you...there is a familybook....but for americans its not a walk in the park...its very very very hard...henia another poster worked non stop at it and it was like 4 months to marry ......I married in tunis whhich is where most couples marry....but honestly having gone through this personally,GO FIANCEE>..he can get an ead stamp if you fly to JFK and wrok right away......the wait is hell,nvc is 6 months...I had an expedite and i was still there 4 months....approvals are taking a long time...

sara,you are from there...its different...and you cant always bribe your way through every part of algeria....maybe in your small town...they are tightening up ad no way when there is a usc involved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Some people are able to marry without a problem in Algeria while some people are given a never ending runaround. Most laws there are applied capriciously so it really can be hit or miss. Just because others (but not everyone) have had a difficult time does not guarantee that you will. Ask your fiance if he knows what papers are required and if he is willing to do the runaround to try. If he is, I say it is worth a try. Were it me, the possibility of a CR1 would be worth the effort.

If I had listened to what everyone told me about how hard it was to get Algerian residency I would have been stuck flying back and forth to the US to renew my visa every three months. But for me, once we gathered all the papers required, residency was no problem at all. Didn't pay anyone a penny, was treated kindly by the police who interviewed me and got my residency quickly.

So, if you ask me, there is no harm in trying. What is the very worst case scenerio? You can't get married in Algeria so you go back and file for the K1.

Some people are able to marry without a problem in Algeria while some people are given a never ending runaround. Most laws there are applied capriciously so it really can be hit or miss. Just because others (but not everyone) have had a difficult time does not guarantee that you will. Ask your fiance if he knows what papers are required and if he is willing to do the runaround to try. If he is, I say it is worth a try. Were it me, the possibility of a CR1 would be worth the effort.

If I had listened to what everyone told me about how hard it was to get Algerian residency I would have been stuck flying back and forth to the US to renew my visa every three months. But for me, once we gathered all the papers required, residency was no problem at all. Didn't pay anyone a penny, was treated kindly by the police who interviewed me and got my residency quickly.

So, if you ask me, there is no harm in trying. What is the very worst case scenerio? You can't get married in Algeria so you go back and file for the K1.

she needs to be ready for either scenario...easy is not the norm nor is residency....its who you know and where you live as well....its a near impossibility in the west...algiers may be simpler..k1s come out of uscis fast and they reunite fast...im an overseas cr1 not a dcf and its been sheer hell........

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
i guess you'll never know why i suggest the CR1 over a K-1 if at all possible to do. :blush: but at least they should TRY to get married, if not, they can do the k-1 after like jpaula said.

For me it would depend on what type of job he expected to do when he gets here.

If he is going to try to work for a big company or a profession that requires a degree, the K-1 route is very difficult bc alot of employers don't know the type of visa and even if you get a temp EAD at JFK they might not be willing to hire him until he gets the green card. It would probably be worth it to try to get married in Algeria and go for CR-1 (not K-3, basically same thing as K-1)

If he is willing to do any work, construction, manual labor, a trade, ect... then K-1 might not be a bad option. This was the case with my husband and he was working within two weeks with a temp EAD from JFK. We got the green card quickly (we married the day he arrived and I applied right away) and he never had to leave work. These types of jobs generally don't check when the visa expires and are willing to let guys work off the books for awhile until they are legal again.

Just my 2 cents :whistle:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.