ray&belle

divorce papers

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
That is not correct. Marriage certificates are legal proof of name change for the petitioner and therefore they are needed for the initial petition IF the name on the petition does not match the birth certificate....

From the Guides....

13. Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

I did not need mine. Just the divorce decree. I know someone else who just needed her divorce decrees. Both of us were petitioners.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Yes, I realize some adjuticator's let it go but I also know of many who got RFE's for proof of legal name change. Since it's stated in the guides, probably best to send it. I'm not willing to chance any more delays. ;)

timeline.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Well I do have divorce papers but no marriage certificate as it was requested by the court when i requested the divorce :whistle::blink:

(F)

In the original petition it just asks for divorce papers, which we sent and therefore got approved. But now I am reaching the interview stage they are asking for marraige certificate too. I am the beneficiary.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am the beneficiary also, but i do not have marriage certificate anymore. I only ever had 1 of it and the Court requested as part of the divorce procedings.....Since the divorce I have reverted to my maiden name and do not use my ex-husband's name anymore. If I do need to request mariage certificate do you know who I should contact?

thanks

Laurence

10/15/2007 NOA1

04/29/2008 RFE by email

05/03/2008 RFE hard copy received

Reply to RFE sent 05/05/2008

RFE received at CSC 05/06/2008

NOA2 05/15/2008

NOA2 hard copy 05/19/2008

Packet 3 received 06/09/2008

Packet 3 completed and sent 06/10/2008

Medical 06/11/2008

Packet 3 received @ Embassy 06/12/2008

Packet 4 07/03/2008

Interview 07/17/2008

POE 07/31/2008

Wedding 08/08/2008

Timeline
I am the beneficiary also, but i do not have marriage certificate anymore. I only ever had 1 of it and the Court requested as part of the divorce procedings.....Since the divorce I have reverted to my maiden name and do not use my ex-husband's name anymore. If I do need to request mariage certificate do you know who I should contact?

thanks

I'm in the same situation - I reverted to my maiden name legally by deed poll before my divorce was finalised as I wanted to get a passport, etc. in the name I intended on using.

To request a marriage certificate you need to apply to the registry office for the area in which the marriage took place (there are other ways but this is the cheapest way). This is what I intend on doing despite the fact that I don't need it to show name change... I've decided to just have everything they ask for even if it's not really relevant in my case.

Edited by Mark and Hannah

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Yes, I realize some adjuticator's let it go but I also know of many who got RFE's for proof of legal name change. Since it's stated in the guides, probably best to send it. I'm not willing to chance any more delays. ;)

Yes, I agree with that.

I'm just saying that what I said was not wholly incorrect. The petitioner (if male) does not need to provide the marriage certificates. Just the divorce certificates. Which is what the OP is asking.

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Timeline

Thanks Hannah,

I think I will do that also,,, just so scared to be delayed for something stupid :thumbs:

Laurence

10/15/2007 NOA1

04/29/2008 RFE by email

05/03/2008 RFE hard copy received

Reply to RFE sent 05/05/2008

RFE received at CSC 05/06/2008

NOA2 05/15/2008

NOA2 hard copy 05/19/2008

Packet 3 received 06/09/2008

Packet 3 completed and sent 06/10/2008

Medical 06/11/2008

Packet 3 received @ Embassy 06/12/2008

Packet 4 07/03/2008

Interview 07/17/2008

POE 07/31/2008

Wedding 08/08/2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Thanks Hannah,

I think I will do that also,,, just so scared to be delayed for something stupid :thumbs:

Yea me too im gonna take everything to the interview rather be safe than sorry.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
hi guys,,,im a newbie here in this site...and im starting to gather the requirements that we need for the papers(specifically K-I Visa)...and theres 1 thing that makes me confuse...my husband has been divorce 2 times...so we want to know if we really need the two divorce papers or just the last marriage that he has.....need some answer for this guyz....hope to hear from you...

You'll need both to prove that both marriages have been dissolved.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
That is not correct. Marriage certificates are legal proof of name change for the petitioner and therefore they are needed for the initial petition IF the name on the petition does not match the birth certificate....

From the Guides....

13. Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order.

I did not need mine. Just the divorce decree. I know someone else who just needed her divorce decrees. Both of us were petitioners.

It's if you're using a different name on documents. My passport and all my other documents all use the same name. So, I didn't need to show any name change.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Other Timeline

From the Guides....

Read that carefully.

It say's 'using a name other than that shown on relevant documents'.

A divorced female USC petitioner (if she retained her married name after the divorce) will use that name on the I129F as it is her legal name. (Also note that a divorce decree generally states the surname the female party will use after the divorce is final, thus the adjudicator has access to that information if they read the decree fully). The I129F is a relevant document.

But there will also be her birth certificate (another relevant document) in the file showing the maiden name.

Anecdotally there is evidence on VJ of some female USC's being issued an RFE if the marriage certificate is not included in the file. The inconsistency is coming from adjudicator interpretation of what is 'relevant' and what is not. One would think a file containing a divorce decree would be a common sense explanation to the adjudicator as to why the birth name differs from the name on the petition. But some adjudicator's are 'more particular' than others.

I included both my marriage certificate and divorce decree in my I129F petition. Jomo's Girl included only the divorce decree. Neither of us were RFE'd.

Insofar as female beneficiaries, there will be anecdotal differences as to whether or not a marriage certificate is required at interview depending on consulate practice. Several of the responsdants to this thread are UK females and I note to them the UK Packet 3 instructions will ask for proof of any name change, including change by deed poll.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.