20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board and have yet to fill in my profile so please forgive my asking this question before doing that. I am an Irish girl who has recently gotten married to a USC and we're going through the paper work now have had time to get over the madness of the wedding and the honeymoon :D .

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm stuck on Part 2 of the I-485 form (I've not gotten very far with the form filling...this is the first attempt...oh boy). I'm not sure if I need to answer B as that indicated to me that my husband wasn't originally a USC and applied for his own status change which was granted and therefore as I married him I too am eligable OR do I need to go for H and explain that I have married a USC and therefore am able to apply.

Can anyone help please, any and all advice is very welcome,

Thank you,

LC

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this board and have yet to fill in my profile so please forgive my asking this question before doing that. I am an Irish girl who has recently gotten married to a USC and we're going through the paper work now have had time to get over the madness of the wedding and the honeymoon :D .

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm stuck on Part 2 of the I-485 form (I've not gotten very far with the form filling...this is the first attempt...oh boy). I'm not sure if I need to answer B as that indicated to me that my husband wasn't originally a USC and applied for his own status change which was granted and therefore as I married him I too am eligable OR do I need to go for H and explain that I have married a USC and therefore am able to apply.

Thank you,

LC

I have the same question about that part of the I-485. For those of you who did AOS while living here after marriage (not K-1 or I-130 while living abroad), what did you do about that?

Edited by birdnbloke
Whatever happiness is in the world has arisen from a wish for the welfare of others; whatever misery there is has arisen from indulging self - The Buddha

"The two most important things in life are to find God and Love - everything else can wait"-George Harrison

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Timeline

3/30/2007 Sent I-130/AOS/EAD to Chicago Lockbox

4/2/2007 Package delivered (Day 1)

4/11/2007 Checks Cashed (Day 9)

4/14/2007 NOA1 in mail (Day12)

4/16/2007 Biometrics Appt Letter for May 1st r'cvd in mail (Day14)

4/24/2007 EAD and I-130 touched online (no email yet...) (Day 22)

5/1/2007 Biometrics appt in Atlanta (Day 29)

5/3/2007 Ead and AOS touched (Day 31)

5/29/2007 Interview Appt Letter (Day 57)

6/18/2007 EAD Approval Notice (email) (Day 77)

6/23/2007 EAD Card Rcv'd in Mail (Day 82)

7/24/2007 Interview in Atlanta(Day 112)

7/24/2007 AOS Approved! Whew! Glad that's over!

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi,

i married US citizen and recently filed for I 485, I 765, I 130. I am living here in US and currently on visitor visa . I clicked "a" of part 2 of I 485.

"an immigrant petition............

I hope that is useful.ifthis part is read carefully you will see that it is saying "or a relative"......in second line .

I hope this helps you

Ans

--Jan 13,2006 Entered USA as Visitor (B2) ( I-94 is valid till end of June,2006)

--March 28,2006 Married in Naperville ,Illinois to United States Citizen

--April 5, 2006 Medical examination (I 693)+ Vaccination supplement form completed (chicago)

--April, 18,2006 AOS Package(I 130,I 485, I765)+supporting documents sent (chicago Lock Box)(DAY 1)

--May 1, 2006 BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS ( I 765 , I 485) received by mail for May 6, 2006

--May 6, 2006 BIOMETRICS TAKEN BY USCIS in Naperville (Day 19)

--July 21,2006 Initial Interview but waiting for FBI NAME CLEARANCE (Day 92)

--April 25, 2009 Infopass appointment to inquire my case : Result case was approved in June of 2008 but no body bothered to update my file (Day almost 610 )

--June 29 ,2009 10 year green card with date of Perm resident June 2008 received (Day almost 680 since interview )

--July 2011 Citizenship Interview :

-- Nov 2011 Oath Ceremony -US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

It's my understanding that if you married a citizen after they became a citizen, you would check A (as long as you're filing the I-130 or have already filed it). If he were a permanent resident, and he became a permanent resident after you two were married, you would check B.

Edited by americangirl

4.21.06 - Married!

5.2.06 - Mailed AOS and EAD to Chicago

5.4.06 - Application arrives in lockbox

5.9.06 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD

5.11.06 - NOA 1 rec'd!

5.17.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.19.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.20.06 - Biometrics notice for AOS and EAD

5.30.06 - Biometrics!

6.1.06 - Touched (AOS)

6.3.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

6.26.06 - Interview notice!!! (Aug. 9 at 10 a.m.)

7.6.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.8.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.10.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.11.06 - EAD approval notice!!!

7.15.06 - EAD card rec'd!

8.9.06 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

sawavingflag.gifuswavingflag.gif

Timeline
Hi,

i married US citizen and recently filed for I 485, I 765, I 130. I am living here in US and currently on visitor visa . I clicked "a" of part 2 of I 485.

I hope that is useful.ifthis part is read carefully you will see that it is saying "or a relative"......in second line .

I hope this helps you

Ans

So I think this might refer to what americangirl said, and thank you both very much, but just to clarify, does the "or a relative" part refer to the I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative form that I'll be filling with the I-485?

I wish the forms were more intuitive, I'm worried that if i tick the wrong one something horrible will happen...I know that sounds stupid but I just want to make sure everything will be ok. My husband was born in the US and therefore is a USC from birth and so option B wouldn't apply to me if what americangirl says is right and so I'll check A if that's the general consensus.

Thanks a million,

LC

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

I hope this helps you

Ans

So I think this might refer to what americangirl said, and thank you both very much, but just to clarify, does the "or a relative" part refer to the I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative form that I'll be filling with the I-485?

I wish the forms were more intuitive, I'm worried that if i tick the wrong one something horrible will happen...I know that sounds stupid but I just want to make sure everything will be ok. My husband was born in the US and therefore is a USC from birth and so option B wouldn't apply to me if what americangirl says is right and so I'll check A if that's the general consensus.

Thanks a million,

LC

LC,

I'd suggest that 2 answers doesn't exactly add up to a general consensus...

But if you read the selection carefully, it does spell itself out, eventually. My comments are in paren.

a) an immigrant petition giving me an immediately available immigrant visa number (this is petition I-130) has been approved (you do not have one of these). (Attach a copy of the approval notice, or a relative (blah blah blah) visa petition filed with the application that will give you an immediately available visa number, if approved.)(I-130s for the spouses of USCs make a visa number immediately available--details at http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPReligibility.htm)

It's important for your own sake that *you* understand what you are completing---be careful about asking Qs and taking answers that you don't fully understand. We all mean well, but it is YOUR bacon on the line. :)

Be sure you are reading the relevant uscis.gov pages (always check the instructions and fees there before mailing anything).

Have you reviewed this page?

How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While in the United States?

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm

Your question is answered in the Eligibility page--I really recommend that you review it & know that it takes a few reads before the language starts to sink in.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Hi,

I hope this helps you

Ans

Thanks a million,

LC

Yes . the "or a relative" part refer to the I-130, Petition for an Alien Relative form that you will be filling with the I-485.

ANS

--Jan 13,2006 Entered USA as Visitor (B2) ( I-94 is valid till end of June,2006)

--April 5, 2006 Medical examination (I 693)+ Vaccination supplement form completed (chicago)

--April, 18,2006 AOS Package(I 130,I 485, I765)+supporting documents sent (chicago Lock Box)(DAY 1)

--May 1, 2006 BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS ( I 765 , I 485) received by mail for May 6, 2006

--April 25, 2009 Infopass appointment to inquire my case : Result case was approved in June of 2008 but no body bothered to update my file (Day almost 610 )

--June 29 ,2009 10 year green card with date of Perm resident June 2008 received (Day almost 680 since interview )

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Thank you,

LC

Hi,

Is your husband US Citizen?

What is your status currently?

If your spuse is USC and you didn't enter on K-1 visa, and you file concurrently I-130 I think you should mark answer a)

honestly I don't know what exactly answer B) means - maybe if you married someone who is not USC - but I don't know if it makes any sense because you are asked about eligibility, well I am not sure what B) means.

But in above case answer a) is correct

Hi,

Is your husband US Citizen?

What is your status currently?

If your spuse is USC and you didn't enter on K-1 visa, and you file concurrently I-130 I think you should mark answer a)

honestly I don't know what exactly answer B) means - maybe if you married someone who is not USC - but I don't know if it makes any sense because you are asked about eligibility, well I am not sure what B) means.

But in above case answer a) is correct

Well I meant answer B not B) of course.

yes, it is very good suggestion to read carefully instructions and official website, you may read it couple of times to understand it. but once you became familiar with important terms and petitions things are easier.

good luck

06 December 2005 - entered US on tourist visa

08 February 2006 - got married

06 March 2006 - 15 March 2006 - medical exam done

15 March 2006 - I-485 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

21 March 2006 - USCIS received papers

24 March 2006 - notice date for I-130,I-485,I-765 (28 March 2006 - received NOA for I-130,I-485,I-765)

01 April 2006 - I-130, I-485, I-765 touched

06 April 2006 - Notice date for biometrics appointment (received on 13 April 2006)

29 April 2006 - Biometrics done

06 May 2006 - I-765, I-145 touched

08 May 2006 - I-765, I-130 touched

03 June 2006 - I-765 touched

06 June 2006 - Interview letter arrived

07 June 2006 - e-mail received: EAD approved !!!

09 June 2006 - EAD card received in mail

12 June 2006 - applied for SSN

26 June 2006 - SSN arrived

25 July 2006 - Interview

APPROVED!!!

31 July 2006 - Welcome Notice arrived

4 August 2006 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED !!!!

I am back!!!

30 April 2008 - sent out form I-751 to remove conditional residence

12 May 2008 - extention letter arrived

.png

Timeline

Ok...so My husband is a USC, born and bred here, I am an Irish Citizen who is currently here on a Visitor's Visa ( B-2 ). I got here in February and he proposed in March, we got married in April. My visitor's visa expires tomorrow and we're submitting the forms this weekend. We will be filing the I-130 concurrently.

Does this help?

I have read the insturctions over and over and find them badly phrased and so am looking for someone in a similar situation who might have a better grasp on the instructions to assist if possible.

Thanks a million,

LC

Timeline

iam exactly in your situation . you can see my signature below this post. i checked (a) PART 2 of I 485 .

but if you are still doubtful then you have 2 options

1. call USCIS office and ask them

2. Or get an attorney

I hope my advice is helpful. :dance:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
Ok...so My husband is a USC, born and bred here, I am an Irish Citizen who is currently here on a Visitor's Visa ( B-2 ). I got here in February and he proposed in March, we got married in April. My visitor's visa expires tomorrow and we're submitting the forms this weekend. We will be filing the I-130 concurrently.

Does this help?

I have read the insturctions over and over and find them badly phrased and so am looking for someone in a similar situation who might have a better grasp on the instructions to assist if possible.

Thanks a million,

LC

Yes, I am also in the same situation and as Ans I chekced A. :)

Don't afraif to ask, also review this forum-you will find answers to many questions here :)

Good luck.

06 December 2005 - entered US on tourist visa

08 February 2006 - got married

06 March 2006 - 15 March 2006 - medical exam done

15 March 2006 - I-485 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

21 March 2006 - USCIS received papers

24 March 2006 - notice date for I-130,I-485,I-765 (28 March 2006 - received NOA for I-130,I-485,I-765)

01 April 2006 - I-130, I-485, I-765 touched

06 April 2006 - Notice date for biometrics appointment (received on 13 April 2006)

29 April 2006 - Biometrics done

06 May 2006 - I-765, I-145 touched

08 May 2006 - I-765, I-130 touched

03 June 2006 - I-765 touched

06 June 2006 - Interview letter arrived

07 June 2006 - e-mail received: EAD approved !!!

09 June 2006 - EAD card received in mail

12 June 2006 - applied for SSN

26 June 2006 - SSN arrived

25 July 2006 - Interview

APPROVED!!!

31 July 2006 - Welcome Notice arrived

4 August 2006 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED !!!!

I am back!!!

30 April 2008 - sent out form I-751 to remove conditional residence

12 May 2008 - extention letter arrived

.png

Timeline
iam exactly in your situation . you can see my signature below this post. i checked (a) PART 2 of I 485 .

but if you are still doubtful then you have 2 options

1. call USCIS office and ask them

2. Or get an attorney

I hope my advice is helpful. :dance:

Wow...thank you all so much...it's comforting to know there are others in the same boat, it's been so daunting up to now.

Good Luck to everyone..I'll update my profile and keep you posted on the progress,

(L)

LC

Thanks for the info, it's helped me too. The phrasing on the I-485 isn't exactly clear but the other options don't apply if the alien has married a USC (born here, not naturalized after moving here)

I've read so much till my eyes are popping out here and the official USCIS website. Just don't want to make any mistakes when doing the initial filing.

Whatever happiness is in the world has arisen from a wish for the welfare of others; whatever misery there is has arisen from indulging self - The Buddha

"The two most important things in life are to find God and Love - everything else can wait"-George Harrison

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Timeline

3/30/2007 Sent I-130/AOS/EAD to Chicago Lockbox

4/2/2007 Package delivered (Day 1)

4/11/2007 Checks Cashed (Day 9)

4/14/2007 NOA1 in mail (Day12)

4/16/2007 Biometrics Appt Letter for May 1st r'cvd in mail (Day14)

4/24/2007 EAD and I-130 touched online (no email yet...) (Day 22)

5/1/2007 Biometrics appt in Atlanta (Day 29)

5/3/2007 Ead and AOS touched (Day 31)

5/29/2007 Interview Appt Letter (Day 57)

6/18/2007 EAD Approval Notice (email) (Day 77)

6/23/2007 EAD Card Rcv'd in Mail (Day 82)

7/24/2007 Interview in Atlanta(Day 112)

7/24/2007 AOS Approved! Whew! Glad that's over!

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This might help, I'm not sure as I was a K1

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...m&page=otheraos

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: Timeline

LC,

Yes, this helps and is the information that you should have provided in your first post.

For Part 2. your answer is item a - your adjustment will be based on the approval of the I-130 petition that your husband is submitting concurrently with your application to adjust.

Yodrak

Does this help?

Thanks a million,

LC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.