Nasturtium

The Passover recipe thread!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

OK I will start posting some recipes when i have time.

for the most part i dont measure so bear with me

Moroccan Matboucha salad (with a bonus recipe for israeli eggplant salad)

take about 2-3 lbs of RIPE tomatoes and blanch them in boiling water so you can peel them and then chop them and drain them a little bit. if they are not ripe do a mixture of fresh tomaotes and canned whole tomatoes.

put olive oil in a frying pan, about 1/4 cup and heat. you could use other oil but we are spoiled and only use olive oil justifying to ourselves its healthier.

chop long hot green peppers (i like to cut them into rings and then in 1/2 so you have half of a ring that is about 1/2 cm in width) and chop or dice garlic. do this to taste but i like about 4-5 hot peppers and about 5-6 cloves of garlic. It is very hot with 5 hot peppers.

sautee the peppers and the garlic dont let the garlic burn, just soften it alittle bit. add the tomatoes. let the tomatoes cook down a little bit and then add paprika (i add hot but this adds to the intensive heat, so you could use regular) and salt and pepper to taste (but you need a good bit of salt to make it flavorful just not too much that its salty - maybe 1 1/2 teaspoons?)

cook the whole thing for like 90 minutes until the flavors get all conglomerated.

another thing i liek to add to it that is optional -

i take 2 eggplants and i poke them with a fork or knife and put them on foil on low heat on my (gas) burner. i let them cook until they are soft inside. i then put 1/2 of one of the eggplants in the matboucha above at the point when i put in the paprika, salt and pepper. it adds a nice flavor. then i take the other eggplant and 1/2 and i use two knives at one time to chop it up in the bowl and i add 1 clove of minced garlic, salt, pepper and enough mayonnaise to taste. this is traditional israeli eggplant salad.

so there i actually just posted 2 recipes! there are alot of recipes where i make one thing and i use the same ingredient in another thing so i prep for two recipes at once.

Timeline
i started this morning. i basically threw bad stuff out of my refrigerator and threw old stuff out of my cabinets so now all that is left are things to eat now or move out of there. tonight i think im goign to pack up all of the chametz, clean them out and put the pesach stuff in. then we can just eat out of the rubbermaid containers and outside refrigerator for friday and saturday day and then ill clean up the counters etc and put the containers away. i have some pesach dishes, a frying pan, a sauce pan but for the most part we will eat off of paper plates. i need a new pressure cooker so i am going to buy one and use that too. it is not the first time i bought a pressure cooker new for pesach and then used it for regular. my husband and i break pressure cookers all of the time i seriously think i am on at least my 5th which doesnt make sense to me because my mother in law still has her ancient pressure cooker which is probably from tunisia. i guess they dont make em like they used to

I have never had a pressure cooker, although i want one :)

I cleaned out the cabinet and put all the chametz on an eye-level shelf. I've been eating out of that shelf for the past week and this week. I'm almost done clearing it out. How are you going to work Shabbat before Pesach? Are you going to basically start on Shabbat with no yeast, etc...? I think that's the way it will need to be because of 2 days of no work... which would lead to there still being stuff in the house that first night if you didn't clean inbetween.

Last night I did a major clean out of the house. and now I just need to vaccuum the nooks and crannies and wash the inside of the refridgerator... and vaccuum the car out.

i am embarrassed and ashamed to admit that i am somewhat lax in my observance of shabbat (laws) but i will say in the season of the holiday it is my goal to clean out everything prior to shabbat. i might let my kids have chametz stuff out of bags (ie goldfish) during the day but for us we will probably just eat passover food on saturday.

i am planning on having that bronzino we were talking about so much yesterday for shabbat dinner so can have a chametz free meal friday night. since we are sephardic we do rice so we will have that too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
i am embarrassed and ashamed to admit that i am somewhat lax in my observance of shabbat (laws) but i will say in the season of the holiday it is my goal to clean out everything prior to shabbat. i might let my kids have chametz stuff out of bags (ie goldfish) during the day but for us we will probably just eat passover food on saturday.

i am planning on having that bronzino we were talking about so much yesterday for shabbat dinner so can have a chametz free meal friday night. since we are sephardic we do rice so we will have that too.

Shabbat is HARD. People don't realize how hard it is until you try it! Everything is happening on Saturdays and to not do anything is so difficult... and you can always think of a million things you have to do that very second.

Did i miss a recipe discussion? Where was the bronzino?

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

Shabbat is HARD. People don't realize how hard it is until you try it! Everything is happening on Saturdays and to not do anything is so difficult... and you can always think of a million things you have to do that very second.

Did i miss a recipe discussion? Where was the bronzino?

we just arent that religious. we are traditional and do dinner every friday night, sometimes the traditional sat afternoon lunch, sometimes we go to the 'gogue. we keep all of the laws of yom kippur and we keep all of the food laws of passover.

there was a help me cook fish thread where we were talking about bronzino and other fish

Timeline
we just arent that religious. we are traditional and do dinner every friday night, sometimes the traditional sat afternoon lunch, sometimes we go to the 'gogue. we keep all of the laws of yom kippur and we keep all of the food laws of passover.

there was a help me cook fish thread where we were talking about bronzino and other fish

I'll have to go check it out! I kind of got sidetracked away from that thread via a major nap when i got home :)

Timeline

OK I cleaned out most of my chametz. all i have left are a little bit of bread and some kids stuff on top of the toaster i will use it all tomorrow am and then put the toaster away. i cannot BELIEVE how much chametz stuff i had. 5 rubbermaid big containers. ridiculous! most of it i used once or i use once in a while. crazy.

anyway it feels good but im hungry even though i shouldnt be and all i want is carbs. im thinking pizza for lunch tomorrow then my bronzino shabbat dinner and thats the end of the chametz.

Timeline

take about 2-3 lbs of RIPE tomatoes and blanch them in boiling water so you can peel them and then chop them and drain them a little bit. if they are not ripe do a mixture of fresh tomaotes and canned whole tomatoes.

put olive oil in a frying pan, about 1/4 cup and heat. you could use other oil but we are spoiled and only use olive oil justifying to ourselves its healthier.

chop long hot green peppers (i like to cut them into rings and then in 1/2 so you have half of a ring that is about 1/2 cm in width) and chop or dice garlic. do this to taste but i like about 4-5 hot peppers and about 5-6 cloves of garlic. It is very hot with 5 hot peppers.

sautee the peppers and the garlic dont let the garlic burn, just soften it alittle bit. add the tomatoes. let the tomatoes cook down a little bit and then add paprika (i add hot but this adds to the intensive heat, so you could use regular) and salt and pepper to taste (but you need a good bit of salt to make it flavorful just not too much that its salty - maybe 1 1/2 teaspoons?)

cook the whole thing for like 90 minutes until the flavors get all conglomerated.

i take 2 eggplants and i poke them with a fork or knife and put them on foil on low heat on my (gas) burner. i let them cook until they are soft inside. i then put 1/2 of one of the eggplants in the matboucha above at the point when i put in the paprika, salt and pepper. it adds a nice flavor. then i take the other eggplant and 1/2 and i use two knives at one time to chop it up in the bowl and i add 1 clove of minced garlic, salt, pepper and enough mayonnaise to taste. this is traditional israeli eggplant salad.

so there i actually just posted 2 recipes! there are alot of recipes where i make one thing and i use the same ingredient in another thing so i prep for two recipes at once.

So do yousalt the eggplant when you do this to leach out the bitterness?

Timeline

So do yousalt the eggplant when you do this to leach out the bitterness?

no - for some reason when i cook the eggplant like this it doesnt get bitter. but when i fry it etc i salt it.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Pareve Chocolate Mousse Torte

Passover (note that it does not require any flour!).

Source: from Maida Heatter's Book of Great Chocolate Desserts, Knopf, 1980.

8 ounces semi sweet chocolate

1 T. dry instant coffee

1/4 cup boiling water

8 eggs, separated

2/3 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/8 tsp. salt

1/5 cup heavy cream

1.5 tsp. vanilla extract

1/3 cup confectioner's sugar

Oven Temp: 350° F.

Preheat oven and butter a 9-inch pie plate. Dust it with fine, dry bread crumbs.

Melt chocolate slightly in a double boiler or microwave. Dissolve coffee in boiling water, and pour it over the chocolate. Stir the mixture until smooth, and set aside.

Beat the egg yolks at high speed for 5 minutes until pale lemon-colored and thick. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat at hight speed for 5 minutes more. Add the vanilla and chocolate, beating slowly.

Add the salt to the egg whites and beat (with clean beaters!) until the whites hold a definite shape but are not stiff and dry.

Gradually fold 1/3 of the whites into the chocolate, and then fold this into the remaining whites. Fold only until no white shows. Gently set aside about 4 cups of mousse and refrigerate.

Put the remaining batter into the pie late; spread gently. Bake for 25 minutes, turn off the oven, but leave the torte in the oven for 5 minutes more. Remove to a rack to cool. The center will fall while cooling.

When the torte is completely cool, very gently put the reserved cold mousse in the middle. Refrigerate for 2 hours, and spread with the whipped cream, vanilla, and confectioner's sugar mixture.

chai: do you have a good honeycake recipe?

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
All (who celebrate).... Happy end of pesach! My hubby is making bread and we are having a MIMOUNA because my husband is moroccan after all!

yay! I made a pizza after sundown, and then yesterday I had 3 donuts. Then I got sick, though, and probably won't be eating any donuts for a long time lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.