jonandros

getting a job in USA after visa approval

15 posts in this topic

My fiancee will be coming to the USA with me on April 15. She is anxious to get a job since she wants to send some money to her family in Peru each month. At what point can she apply for a job? Can she apply after she gets her social security card? How long does it take to get a social security number? Does she need to be a permanent resident first?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

The social security number process was very esay. Just go to your local office and fill out the application and take all of your paper work like the I-94, visa and passport. I think if she enters through JFK she can get a work auth. permit but if she comes into any othe POE she will have to wait until she gets the green card and you apply for the work permit through the AOS process.

Brian & Isa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Since she's coming in with a K1 visa she can only work until her EAD is approved. You can send the form along with the I-485 when you send it since the fee of $1,010 covers it as well. It takes about 3-6 months for approval but as soon as she gets it she can start working.

Other people try to go through JFK to see if they can get an EAD stamp on their passports when they come in but it is only good for 90 days and after that the person is not eligible for work.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you file the I-765 in conjunction with the I-485 then the EAD could come as early as 60-90 days after application... This could be 1-3 months before the greencard.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

There are one thing that you have to considere after she get her work permit she can star to look job, No before, because if she star to work before that she is doing something ilegal, and that would make bad the process to get the resident.

Kisses and Good luck

I assume Miami is a POE right? I never really thought about it. I just bought the tickets.

The social security number process was very esay. Just go to your local office and fill out the application and take all of your paper work like the I-94, visa and passport. I think if she enters through JFK she can get a work auth. permit but if she comes into any othe POE she will have to wait until she gets the green card and you apply for the work permit through the AOS process.

I wonder if 2 hours 10 minutes is enough time for Rosa to go through customs in Miami to catch our flight to Chicago?

Is there additional paperwork involved since she is arriving with a K1?

Timeline
I wonder if 2 hours 10 minutes is enough time for Rosa to go through customs in Miami to catch our flight to Chicago?

Is there additional paperwork involved since she is arriving with a K1?

Customs isn't the problem but immigration could be... Miami can get quite busy at times... A K-1 will typically get sent to secondary inspection... three hours should be Ok on a typical day

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

I have 5 forms. I-485, I-765, I-131, I-864, and G325A. Should I mail all these forms at the same time to the

Nebraska Service Center the day after we are married?

If you file the I-765 in conjunction with the I-485 then the EAD could come as early as 60-90 days after application... This could be 1-3 months before the greencard.

Timeline
Yes but I live in Kansas. Dont I have to send to the Nebraska office?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All AOS applications for the entire country goes to Chicago

YMMV

Hmm. OK. I guess all the forms go to chicago then. The USCIS told me I needed to send the I864 also. I have

no i dea why.

Yes but I live in Kansas. Dont I have to send to the Nebraska office?

All AOS applications for the entire country goes to Chicago

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Because they have a lot of stupid people working there. You only need to send the I-864 when you file for AOS, this is after you and your fiancée get married in the States.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
Hmm. OK. I guess all the forms go to chicago then. The USCIS told me I needed to send the I864 also. I have

no i dea why.

Yes, an I-864 Affidavit of Support is required with the AOS application... This is a required supplemental attachment to the I-485.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.