shamrock21

Travelling to US while you are waiting for K-1

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

My future husband is the US and i am from Ireland. Ireland is part of the visa waiver program which means i dont need a visa to travel to the US as long as i stay less than 90 days. Does this mean i can travel to the US and see him under this program while i wait for my K-1 visa???

I dont think this is the case as i have read lots of posts talking about the distance and time spend apart but i wasnt sure if your country is part of the visa waiver program if it would make a difference

Thanks Guys!!

20967eadtkm9brekr0.gif

"If we begin with certainties, we shall end in doubts; but if we begin with doubts, and we are patient in them, we shall end in certainties."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Yes you can visit. You may need to prove your ties to Ireland before you enter during a pending K1. For example, a letter from your employer stating you're traveling to the US and are expected to be back at work on a specific date. A lease or mortgage. Anything that shows that you will return to Ireland.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Most people on here know a lot more than I do, but my situation is similar to yours.

I'm in the US and my fiancee is from Japan. We chose not to have her come over while the K-1 was pending.

It'll be about 7 months apart total, but for most of us on here we've already endured that (or longer) several times.

:D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

So am I correct is saying the following... I can travel to the US to see my husband to be and he can travel and see me while the K-1 is pending without any issues as long as i prove my ties to ireland and can prove that i am only visiting the US for a vacation. However, when I become a K-1 Visa holder, i cannot leave the US unless i file a certain form asking permission to leave. Right?

20967eadtkm9brekr0.gif

"If we begin with certainties, we shall end in doubts; but if we begin with doubts, and we are patient in them, we shall end in certainties."

Filed: Timeline
So am I correct is saying the following... I can travel to the US to see my husband to be and he can travel and see me while the K-1 is pending without any issues as long as i prove my ties to ireland and can prove that i am only visiting the US for a vacation. However, when I become a K-1 Visa holder, i cannot leave the US unless i file a certain form asking permission to leave. Right?

Here are some Visitation FAQ's. The document you need to re-enter the US while your Adjustment of Status (AOS) is pending is called Advance Parole (AP). You don't need permission to leave.... you just need the AP or your greencard to re-enter.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Yes, you are correct. You will need to file an I-131 advance parole (along with your AOS application), to get permission to leave and return to the US.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Legally you can travel. However, no matter how much proof you take, it is still up to the discretion of the POE officer to determine whether or not you actually get in. ;)

If you're travelling out of Dublin, the good news is that you'll find out before you even really leave the country because you'll have to go through immigration there.

Once you are here and married you will file for AOS. With that cost you can also file for EAD (work) and AP (travel) documents that will then allow you to roam free again!

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.