Elmira

Change of name in driving license

6 posts in this topic

Hi again... I have one more question ... Last time I asked about SSN, and got an excellent answer here :) OK... when I got my US Driving license (after marriage) lady in DMV here in Florida told us that I can't change my last name in driving license till I receive any papers from USCIS saying that that started my AOS process.... but when we went after we receive NOA they sent us back saying that I need to bring GC... so does anyone know what should we do... or may be somebody knows DMV rules saying that they can change my last name without GC... Thank you guys :)

I think it's basically up to your state as to what rules they want to impose on name changes. I'd just wait until you get your GC, then go back and change your name at that time. I couldn't even get a DL until I had my GC! You've got your DL...that's the important thing!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi,

I live in Florida too, and they told me the same... Though I don't even bother going back for now with a NOA because I expected them to tell me they needed the GC.

So I guess we will have to wait until the AOS is done and we have our GC.

For how long is you DL good? They would only give me one that was valid for the periode of my I-94. which is april 23...

Edited by darkhorse
4ce772a081.png

Hi,

I live in Florida too, and they told me the same... Though I don't even bother going back for now with a NOA because I expected them to tell me they needed the GC.

So I guess we will have to wait until the AOS is done and we have our GC.

For how long is you DL good? They would only give me one that was valid for the periode of my I-94. which is april 23...

They gave me for 1 year :)... and I am thinking to go to different DMV next week.. anf if it works I will let you know :)... by the way I got my State ID first having I-94 and K-1 visa and it was valid for 1 year too.. and after wedding we decided to get my driving permit as I never drove in my country and got learner permit valid for 1 year too :).. and next week I want to take driving test in different DMV and try to change my last name there :) I will let you know ;) because this week we just went one DMV to ask.... :)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

i live in AK and lady at DMW told me that she can change my maiden name on my driving licence into the married name AFTER i change my name on SS card which i still have also under my maiden name. (waiting for EAD to do that) That was the issue here why i couldnt get my new last name on DL ;)

Filed: Timeline

I live in Florida and they changed my name based on the marriage certificate and the AOS NOA in my married name. Did you apply for your greencard in your married name or your maiden name?

Florida DMV

Non-Citizens

If you're a non-U.S. citizen, first change your name on your Immigration and Naturalization Service document. Then, go to a driver license office with the original or certified copy of the marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or court order indicating the name change. Remember to bring your current license and proof of legal presence. Corrected licenses cost $10.

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.