alexil74

I -751 Sworn Affidavits

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Can one of the people submitting a sworn affidavits be a family member? or to be exact, can it be my husband's sister? (I'm the one that is non us citizen)

Thanks

Milan,Italy- San Francisco, USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Can one of the people submitting a sworn affidavits be a family member? or to be exact, can it be my husband's sister? (I'm the one that is non us citizen)

Thanks

It can anybody you want as long as the person has known both of you since the non-citizen spouse acquired conditional residence.

Meh

Timeline

Thanks

It can anybody you want as long as the person has known both of you since the non-citizen spouse acquired conditional residence.

Timeline

Thanks

I have an additional questions.

Do I need to notarize the Sworn Affidavits or not? Some people are saying we need to and some are saying that we don't need to notarize the letters. When I call USCIS, they said that it is not necessary. Can someone help? Is it really required to get the letters notarized?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks

Do I need to notarize the Sworn Affidavits or not? Some people are saying we need to and some are saying that we don't need to notarize the letters. When I call USCIS, they said that it is not necessary. Can someone help? Is it really required to get the letters notarized?

Generally, yes. A sworn affidavit contemplates notarization. Look at the example affidavit in the Example Forms section here.

However, federal law (28 U.S.C. § 1746) does provide that where a matter requires a sworn affidavit, that matter may, "with like force and affect," be supported by the following unsworn declaration of the person at the end of the affidavit:

I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date).

(Signature)

This will work if notarization is inconvenient.

I would not rely on anything I am told by calling the USCIS misinformation line.

Meh

Yes, they should be notarized! Good luck!

Timeline

01-30-06 2-Year Green Card Approved

02-11-06 2-Year Green Card Arrival

11-05-07 I-751 Petition MAILED To TSC

11-08-07 I-751 Petition RECEIVED At TSC

11-26-07 I-751 Petition Transferred to CSC and Check Cashed

12-01-07 NOA For 1-Year Extention RECEIVED from CSC

12-17-07 Biometrics Letter Received / Scheduled for 1/8/08

01-08-08 Biometrics Completed At ASC

01-08-08 Touched

01-09-08 Touched

03-26-08 10-Year GC APPROVED!!!! HOORAY!!!

04-03-08 10-Year GC ARRIVES! GC Journey Over For Another 10-Years~On To Citizenship

N-400 Application

10-15-2009 Application Filed

10-16-2009 Application Received / Lewisville, TX

10-21-2009 NOA I-797 Receipt for Application

11-10-2009 Electronic Notice of RFE For Biometrics

11-12-2009 Biometrics Letter Received

12-04-2009 Biometrics

12-17-2009 Notice That File Has Been Transferred To Local Office For Standard Interview

01-19-2010 Interview - PASSED! HOORAY!

01-20-2010 Oath for NEW U.S. Citizen! FINISHED AND DONE!

Thanks

Notarization is not a must. But it definitely looks more professional. So I would notarize the statement.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

We were RFE'd, so we sent two affidavits in response--one notarized and one not notarized. I would notarize them if I could; it does add more weight to them, since the affiant may be legally responsible for the veracity of his or her statements in the Affidavit. But nothing is set in stone--that's why you are seeing such a wide array of responses to your question.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.