kevinj

Can we start K1 application while travelling abroad?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi there!

I'm Kevin, 27, Belgian, and currently travelling around-the-world with my American (citizen) sweetheart, Erin. We want to build a future in the U.S. together and K-1 + marriage in the U.S. seems the most realistic option.

Our timing is a bit problematic :

Sep. 2007 - July 2008 : on a R-T-W tour (currently in New Zealand)

Aug. 2008 : we get back to Belgium

Sep 2008 : Erin starts college again back in the US

Obviously, we'd like to spend as little time as possible apart from each other.

It seems that the US embassy in Brussels is pretty darn fast (10 days for interview) and the major bottleneck is the approval of the 129 form (6 months??).

QUESTION : Can she submit this form from abroad while we're still travelling, so that it'll most likely be accepted (we hope) by the time we get to Belgium (Aug. 2008)? Or is this not allowed? Or is it absolutely impractical because of certain types of information that need to be submitted that we really don't carry with us in our backpacks? Or are there precedents where this scenario was seriously frowned upon?

I'd also really, really welcome advice on how best to deal with our specific situation. In particular, Erin (citizen) will be a student for the next few years, and as such, she has negative assets and income (aka student loans). She uses her Mom's address in NH for now, but we would probably ask her Dad or sister to be co-sponsor, and will move to OR right away for her to go to university there. (I plan on finding a job as soon as I can - have Ph.D. in physics, hope someone will be interested in that). I myself of course don't have a job now (am travelling), have lived in the U.S. on a student F-1 visa from July 2005 until Aug 2007 without incidents, have enough $$ to pay all the fees and survive for about a year but not enough to matter for purposes of public charge etc.

Has anyone else pulled it off with the US partner being a student? Any special catches?

Thanks so much for reading this and sharing your experiences! I'm sure the whole thing must be feasible, but it looks quite daunting at first sight ...

Take care,

have a nice day,

Kevin.

Edited by kevinj

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline
Hi there!

I'm Kevin, 27, Belgian, and currently travelling around-the-world with my American (citizen) sweetheart, Erin. We want to build a future in the U.S. together and K-1 + marriage in the U.S. seems the most realistic option.

Our timing is a bit problematic :

Sep. 2007 - July 2008 : on a R-T-W tour (currently in New Zealand)

Aug. 2008 : we get back to Belgium

Sep 2008 : Erin starts college again back in the US

Obviously, we'd like to spend as little time as possible apart from each other.

It seems that the US embassy in Brussels is pretty darn fast (10 days for interview) and the major bottleneck is the approval of the 129 form (6 months??).

QUESTION : Can she submit this form from abroad while we're still travelling, so that it'll most likely be accepted (we hope) by the time we get to Belgium (Aug. 2008)? Or is this not allowed? Or is it absolutely impractical because of certain types of information that need to be submitted that we really don't carry with us in our backpacks? Or are there precedents where this scenario was seriously frowned upon?

I'd also really, really welcome advice on how best to deal with our specific situation. In particular, Erin (citizen) will be a student for the next few years, and as such, she has negative assets and income (aka student loans). She uses her Mom's address in NH for now, but we would probably ask her Dad or sister to be co-sponsor, and will move to OR right away for her to go to university there. (I plan on finding a job as soon as I can - have Ph.D. in physics, hope someone will be interested in that). I myself of course don't have a job now (am travelling), have lived in the U.S. on a student F-1 visa from July 2005 until Aug 2007 without incidents, have enough $$ to pay all the fees and survive for about a year but not enough to matter for purposes of public charge etc.

Has anyone else pulled it off with the US partner being a student? Any special catches?

Thanks so much for reading this and sharing your experiences! I'm sure the whole thing must be feasible, but it looks quite daunting at first sight ...

Take care,

have a nice day,

Kevin.

I live with my fiance abroad in Israel and we filed from here. The issue is that your fiance needs to have an address in the US where someone can look at her mail. While you are traveling you will wnat to know you got the NOA1 reciept and be able to check its status online. Also, if you are approved while traveling, you will need someone to forward the NOA2 or possible RFE notices to you to take care of and continue the steps.

I used my mother's address in NY for this and she lets me know when something comes up. It seems that the service centers are speeding up and if you filed even in April, the completion of the process could very well fall within your timeframe at September. But remeber your fiance may reecieve your NOA2 but all the paperwork and packets will be sent to your address in Belgium. So if you are not there you are delaying your visa. The NOA2 is valid for months so even if you are accepted quickly you will have time to come back to Belgium and fill out the paperwork and begin the Embassy side of the process.

The process does seem daunting... but a few minutes a day on this site will really get you up to speed in a hurry. Check the guides and flowchart. The co-sponsor part doesn't need to be figured out until the I-129F is completed and accepted which is the longest process. Seems you will be filing at VSC which is the quicker of the two centers.

Edited by Grandoner

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

hey,

i'm also begian. we filed in February and got approved in 20 days at VCS. it still takes some people 6 months to get approved, but it's hard to predict. we just assumed the worst case scenario and got lucky :)

assuming you'll file in Vermont, you should have your approval by August (the NOA 2 is valid for 4 months). if it for some reason took longer you can think about going to the US on a VWP untill you receive NOA 2.

my fiance is in med school in boston, his cousin will co-sponsor our affadavit. according to this website that should not at all be a problem. but i'll let you know in a couple of months when i'll (hopefully) get my visa ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

Yes, you could, just need to have someone here to watch everything for you.

July 19------------Send the I-129F

July 26------------Recieved

December 7th----NOA2 online

December 14-----NOA2 Hard Copy

December 21-----NVC recieved

December 28-----NVC send to US embassy in Ethiopia

January 8---------US embassy in Ethiopia will recieve

January 11--------Packet 3

February 7 -------Interview

February 7 -------Passed interview

February 12------VISA in hand

February 22------IN the USA

March 1-----------Wedding

March 15----------Sent AOS

July 7 -------------Finger Print

January 27, 2009--Green card approved without interview. It took almost one year though.

Feb 2 -------------Got the green card in the mail

Next: playing the waiting game for the 2 years holding removal

omg_wtf.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi everyone -

thanks so much for your reactions! It's a relief to know that there's a way to do it!

I'll keep you updated on what we're doing - still reading up on the procedure for the moment, but I'm sure we'll get busy soon!

More references are very much welcome,

and take care and best of luck with your Journeys!

Kevin.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.