pak

Initial interview - there's going to be more?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

I didn't find the guide for K-1 interview, so here it goes.

We got response for FORM I-485 (Adjustment of Status for K-1 fiancee). First of all, it is called "Request for applicant to appear for initial interview" - does it mean there's going to be more than one?

Second, it says if you (i.e. my wife) does not speak ***fluently*** (which she does not), we must bring an interpreter. Does it mean that I can't be the interpreter for her?

Third, it asks for the list of documents which we submitted already once or twice. For example,

1. Medical examiniation (I-693) and vaccination supplement (submitted before)

2. Completed Affidavit of Support + 3 yrs tax return, w-2, etc (submitted before)

3. All documents establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status. What documents do they mean?

4. Birth certificate (submitted before)

5. Petitioner's Birth Certificate (i.e. mine) <-- this was never asked for before, I am naturalized so it is not in English. I guess I suppose to translate it and get notarized?

6. certified copy of marriage document (submitted before, do we need to bring it again?)

7. divorce decrees of prior marriages (submitted before, do we need to bring it again?)

Should we try to get all of the documents again? Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It means the I94 card, the K-1 visa, and the marriage cert.

:time:http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=22419

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

All letters have initial interview on them in case they do want to interview again at their discretion.

No you cant interpret for her. Take someone else with you.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Bring the originals of all supporting documents. We just brought our entire immigration file.

The'll definitely want to see new evidence of cohabitation like utility bills and bank statements with both names, showing the same address. For example, we brought several bank statements and several utility bills dated back as far as possible and including current ones.

You cannot be the interpreter.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thank you. Does she really have to be fluent? She understands English a bit... I just not sure whom we can bring as an interpreter.

As far as utility bills... we didn't think of adding her to the bill (plus I am not sure it would show up there anyway). Ugh... what to do, what to do...

Hello everyone,

I didn't find the guide for K-1 interview, so here it goes.

We got response for FORM I-485 (Adjustment of Status for K-1 fiancee). First of all, it is called "Request for applicant to appear for initial interview" - does it mean there's going to be more than one?

Second, it says if you (i.e. my wife) does not speak ***fluently*** (which she does not), we must bring an interpreter. Does it mean that I can't be the interpreter for her?

Third, it asks for the list of documents which we submitted already once or twice. For example,

1. Medical examiniation (I-693) and vaccination supplement (submitted before)

Did you submit the full I-693(medical exam) or just had the I-693A filled out by a civil surgeon and sent that? Either way, take a copy the document w/ you to the interview.

2. Completed Affidavit of Support + 3 yrs tax return, w-2, etc (submitted before)

Have a copy w/ you available at the interview.

3. All documents establishing your eligibility for Lawful Permanent Resident status. What documents do they mean?

What exactly do you have, other than a marriage certificate, do you have that proves your marriage and co-habitation. That is what you need to take with your to the interview. Your wife is eligible for Lawful Permanent Residency statuse base upon a valid marriage to you the US Citizen. So that is what you have to prove w/ documents....that you and your wife have a valid marriage just like any Joe and Suzie.

4. Birth certificate (submitted before)

Bring original w/ you to interview.

5. Petitioner's Birth Certificate (i.e. mine) <-- this was never asked for before, I am naturalized so it is not in English. I guess I suppose to translate it and get notarized?

You can translate your own birth certifcate...and certify the translation (write a statement at the end of the translation stating that you're fluent in your language and english and the translation you present is accurate to the best of your knowledge), also since your'e a naturalized citizen, take your naturalization certificate,the original w/ you to the interview.

6. certified copy of marriage document (submitted before, do we need to bring it again?)

Take original to interview

7. divorce decrees of prior marriages (submitted before, do we need to bring it again?)

Same as answer to #6.

Should we try to get all of the documents again? Thank you!

It does not matter if you submitted this info before...you take copies and/or originals w/ you now to the interview.

You should not be having to get all these documents again, since the advice is always to make a copy of the entire AOS application before you mail it in. It is for this purpose, so you know what you sent. Did you not make a copy of your application before mailing it off? At the interview. among other things, they are looking to verify that all the info which you submitted in your application is correct....so they want to match it up to the original documents that is why you need to have all the documents with you.

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
As far as utility bills... we didn't think of adding her to the bill (plus I am not sure it would show up there anyway). Ugh... what to do, what to do...

I think in some cases you need an SSN# for that.

I dont have one yet,we are only going to add me on the bank account and I am on my husbands health insurance.

I think in some cases you need an SSN# for that.

I dont have one yet,we are only going to add me on the bank account and I am on my husbands health insurance.

Well, she is on my health insurance, so I hope that helps... Thanks everyone.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

@Pak yes all I have for evidence is that I am on my husbands insurance and we have a joint account.

I will take wedding pics,cards,mail,Junkmail and that kinda stuff with my name and address on it.

Timeline

Thank you. Does she really have to be fluent? She understands English a bit... I just not sure whom we can bring as an interpreter.

Your wife doesn't have to be fluent in English but like the form says, if she isn't, you'll need to arrange to bring an interpreter. There are detailed questions she must demonstrate she understands and that she must answer. If you have to hire an interpreter, so be it.

If you can demonstrate she's on your insurance that may be good enough. Even some mail from a private party addressed to you both would help.

How about a joint bank account?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I disagree but each center and each examiner may have their own rules. My wife had been here a few months (6+) and wasn't 'fluent' in English. I took a friend as an interpreter and my wife responded to everything directly in English without any translation needed except for one or two words - biometrics and another word which my friend couldn't translate either! :lol:

At the end the examiner asked my why I didn't want to be the interpreter! Which means that he would have been perfectly happy to have the husband be the interpreter. Also, I do not see where on the interview letter it says that the spouse can't be an interpreter.

My wife's friend (also from Colombia) didn't take an interpreter - her husband (who was also our interpreter) did the interpreting. This was in Denver so I know that at least in Denver it was okay for the spouse to be the interpreter. You need to do what's comfortable for you but be assured that you do not need a 'professional' interpreter - a friend or relative can do it. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

I disagree but each center and each examiner may have their own rules. My wife had been here a few months (6+) and wasn't 'fluent' in English. I took a friend as an interpreter and my wife responded to everything directly in English without any translation needed except for one or two words - biometrics and another word which my friend couldn't translate either! :lol:

At the end the examiner asked my why I didn't want to be the interpreter! Which means that he would have been perfectly happy to have the husband be the interpreter. Also, I do not see where on the interview letter it says that the spouse can't be an interpreter.

My wife's friend (also from Colombia) didn't take an interpreter - her husband (who was also our interpreter) did the interpreting. This was in Denver so I know that at least in Denver it was okay for the spouse to be the interpreter. You need to do what's comfortable for you but be assured that you do not need a 'professional' interpreter - a friend or relative can do it. Good Luck

It's possible certain offices will allow the petitioner/spouse to be the interpreter. Most don't allow it. You could email the office directly with that question. I emailed asking if our 19 year old daughter, also interviewing and fluent in English could interpret for us. The answer was yes, since she was 18. Otherwise, it would have been "no" and we would have taken along a friend.

We've seen many examples of couples being turned away because they brought no interpreter.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Thanks everyone! It is very helpful.

- good idea about junk mail, private mail in our names

- I'll try to contact our office about the interpreter

- we'll try to get joint bank account, but we need state ID first

Thank you, thank you!

Edited by pak

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.