12 posts in this topic

Hello there!

I'm new to this forum. I entered the country as a visitor back in December 07. My bf and I decided to get married in the spur of the moment and I decided to stay in the US and apply for my AOS (as advised by an immigration paralegal) even though I still had ties in the UK (my country of residency), kind of crazy but such is love :P

We prepared our AOS package in a very organized manner. A folder with labels an separators indicating each and every one of the sections and the applications and checks required (I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131), we also included bona-fide documents like joint bank accounts, lease, some bills (since I'm still waiting for my SSN we don't have many) as well as pictures showing our legitimate relationship and written affidavits from friends.

My questions are:

Since our checks have been cashed already, is this an indication they have started reviewing our case? (We still have not received a NOA).

We have checked the time lines of other people in here and it seems some VJrs wait quiet a long time for their checks to get cashed.

What is the next call of action as for now?

Any idea of how long the whole process will take?

Can anyone explain to me what exactly is Biometrics and what it involves?

Thanks so much. Your support and knowledge is very much appreciated!!!

Timeline so far:

12-16-07 Arrival in the US on tourist visa

02-13-08 Got married in Los Angeles

02-22-08 Civil Surgeon Appointment

02-29-08 Sent I-130, AOS, EAD, AP (Via FedEx) to Chicago

03-03-08 AOS Package arrived in Chicago

03-07-08 All Checks cashed

Timeline:

12-16-07 Arrival in the US from Good Ol' Blighty

Adjustment of Status

03-03-08 Package arrived in Chicago

03-07-08 All Cheques cashed!!

03-10-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 received

03-16-08 NOAs for I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 touched

03-27-08 Biometrics Appointment at 2pm (Notice date: 03.11.08)

04-30-08 Received EAD "card production ordered" & AP Approval notices from CRIS (YESSSS!!!!!)

05-06-08 I-765 touched and AP received in the mail!

05-08-08 Received I-765 "approval notice sent" e-mail from CRIS

05-09-08 EAD received in the mail (YIIPPEEYY!!!)

08-22-08 Notice of Action for initial interview received (10-08-08)

10-08-08 AOS Interview in Los Angeles: APPROVED!!!!

10-09-08 I-485 touched! (Card Production Ordered)

10-15-08 NOAs for I-130 (approval notice) and I-485 (welcome letter) received

10-22-08 Green Card finally arrived!!!

Removing of Conditions

07-14-10 Sent I-751 (Via USPS next day delivery) to California Service Center

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

07-30-10 Received NOA 2 (Biometrics appointment on 08-11-10)

08-31-10 NOA for Removal of Conditions approved

09-02-10 Approval letter received

09-03-10 Green Card arrived!!!

ePcwm7.png

.png

Filed: Timeline
Hello there!

I'm new to this forum. I entered the country as a visitor back in December 07. My bf and I decided to get married in the spur of the moment and I decided to stay in the US and apply for my AOS (as advised by an immigration paralegal) even though I still had ties in the UK (my country of residency), kind of crazy but such is love :P

We prepared our AOS package in a very organized manner. A folder with labels an separators indicating each and every one of the sections and the applications and checks required (I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131), we also included bona-fide documents like joint bank accounts, lease, some bills (since I'm still waiting for my SSN we don't have many) as well as pictures showing our legitimate relationship and written affidavits from friends.

My questions are:

Since our checks have been cashed already, is this an indication they have started reviewing our case? (We still have not received a NOA).

We have checked the time lines of other people in here and it seems some VJrs wait quiet a long time for their checks to get cashed.

Timeline so far:

First welcome to VJ and congratulations on your wedding...

Once your application is received it is checked for signatures and correct fees.... the checks are sent for cashing and then it joins the queue for processing... initial processing is done at the service center and a NOA1 is issued, after that a Biometrics appointment is set up at your local ASC where they will take your photograph and your digital finger prints, your biometric info is then used for security checks and your details are passed to the FBI for name checks to be done.... then your case papers are passed to your local office for interview... you will then get a letter telling where and when you need to attend and what evidence you will need to bring with you..

It can take anything from a few months to a few years.... every case is different....

Good Luck

Kez

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Hello there!

My questions are:

Timeline so far:

The fact that they have cashed your check is a bit independent of the reviewing of your case. I heard they take them separately from the application when they receive them. However it is always a good sign because it's part of the process.

Some checks get cashed fast some not. It usually takes around 10-14 days from the time they receive the package till you receive the NOA (Notice of Action) in the snail mail. That document lets you know that they officially started working on your case.

The next thing to do is wait: wait for your NOA, when you have it you can enter (or try to enter) the case numbers on uscis.gov, and hope to see touches or movement on it. However not all cases are uploaded online. So if it's not there don't worry.

Then expect a biometrics appointment later to come in soon and attend the biometrics. After that you wait for either transfer or interview.

The process from applying-GC can take as little as 3 months and as long as 2 years+++ if you are stuck in FBI namecheck. On average it's 6-8 months.

Check your local office processing dates to get an idea there: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

The biometrics is a simple appointment where an immigration officer takes your fingerprints and your picture. You can check some reviews here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/ (select your local office)

You might want to enter your timeline in your signature (control panel -> edit signature0 and enter it here as well: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/intro.php

Good luck on your journey.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Hello there!

My questions are:

Timeline so far:

First welcome to VJ and congratulations on your wedding...

Once your application is received it is checked for signatures and correct fees.... the checks are sent for cashing and then it joins the queue for processing... initial processing is done at the service center and a NOA1 is issued, after that a Biometrics appointment is set up at your local ASC where they will take your photograph and your digital finger prints, your biometric info is then used for security checks and your details are passed to the FBI for name checks to be done.... then your case papers are passed to your local office for interview... you will then get a letter telling where and when you need to attend and what evidence you will need to bring with you..

It can take anything from a few months to a few years.... every case is different....

Good Luck

Kez

THANK YOU KINDLY FOR YOUR PROMPT REPLY! :)

Timeline:

Adjustment of Status

04-30-08 Received EAD "card production ordered" & AP Approval notices from CRIS (YESSSS!!!!!)

Removing of Conditions

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

ePcwm7.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hello there!

My questions are:

Timeline so far:

If the checks are cashed it means that the NOA will be arriving in a couple of days. Cashing the money means your process has started. The next step will be the arrival of the biometrics appointment that will arrive in around a month after the 1st NOA's (here they will take the foreign spouse's fingerprints and picture for FBI name check and for Greencard use). After the biometrics you will be receiving the Employment Authorization Document (in case you applied for it) and the Advance Parole that will enable you to leave the country and come back w/o any problems (in case you applied for it as well). Lastly, comes the arrival of the Notification from USCIS about your interview date, and that will be the final step where an officer will either approve or deny your case .

About the duration of the process and the timeline of each step towards the permanent residence, well there is no exact period of time, all depends on your local USCIS office, the luck of getting transfered to the California SC, which means that if you get transfered, there wont be any interview and you will be approved automatically, there is not certainty nor way of know if you will be getting transfered since I guess is pure luck. Also, a RFE's (Request for evidence, if you made a mistake on your application or they need extra evidence and documentation) might slow down your process and at last, the dreaded name check from the FBI that had kept some couples in an immigration limbo for much as 2 years or more. There is a new change in the law that stated that if the FBI name check takes more than 6 months, USCIS has to issue the greencard but with the condition that if something comes up and the foreign spouse is considered unfit for an adjustment of status, USCIS has the right to cancel the green card and deport her/him.

Check my timeline so it can give you an idea of how long my process has taken.

Buena suerte en el proceso!!

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Hello there!

My questions are:

Timeline so far:

The fact that they have cashed your check is a bit independent of the reviewing of your case. I heard they take them separately from the application when they receive them. However it is always a good sign because it's part of the process.

Some checks get cashed fast some not. It usually takes around 10-14 days from the time they receive the package till you receive the NOA (Notice of Action) in the snail mail. That document lets you know that they officially started working on your case.

The next thing to do is wait: wait for your NOA, when you have it you can enter (or try to enter) the case numbers on uscis.gov, and hope to see touches or movement on it. However not all cases are uploaded online. So if it's not there don't worry.

Then expect a biometrics appointment later to come in soon and attend the biometrics. After that you wait for either transfer or interview.

The process from applying-GC can take as little as 3 months and as long as 2 years+++ if you are stuck in FBI namecheck. On average it's 6-8 months.

Check your local office processing dates to get an idea there: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

The biometrics is a simple appointment where an immigration officer takes your fingerprints and your picture. You can check some reviews here: http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/ (select your local office)

You might want to enter your timeline in your signature (control panel -> edit signature0 and enter it here as well: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/intro.php

Good luck on your journey.

THANKS A BUNCH! :) I'm happy to wait having my sweetie next to me who is giving me encouragement as support and I believe this forum will be very handy too! Seeing how other people are coping in the same situation is extremely valuable.

Timeline:

Adjustment of Status

Removing of Conditions

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

ePcwm7.png

.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Be prepared to get asked by USCIS how come you got married on the tourist visa, they are cracking down on it now, if it was spontaneous marriage where you did not invite guests and plan a big wedding you have no problems, otherwise you may have questions to answer as to why you did not go back to your country and file a K1 visa. Best of luck. :whistle:

Hello there!

My questions are:

Timeline so far:

Be prepared to get asked by USCIS how come you got married on the tourist visa, they are cracking down on it now, if it was spontaneous marriage where you did not invite guests and plan a big wedding you have no problems, otherwise you may have questions to answer as to why you did not go back to your country and file a K1 visa. Best of luck. :whistle:

Hello there!

My questions are:

Timeline so far:

Thanks so much for your reply. It wasn't a big wedding, we only had two friends with us. Nothing major since we plan to do something more formal with our respective families in the future. When I entered the country I wasn't even able to marry since I was awaiting my divorce papers from my previous marriage.

Hello there!

My questions are:

Timeline so far:

If the checks are cashed it means that the NOA will be arriving in a couple of days. Cashing the money means your process has started. The next step will be the arrival of the biometrics appointment that will arrive in around a month after the 1st NOA's (here they will take the foreign spouse's fingerprints and picture for FBI name check and for Greencard use). After the biometrics you will be receiving the Employment Authorization Document (in case you applied for it) and the Advance Parole that will enable you to leave the country and come back w/o any problems (in case you applied for it as well). Lastly, comes the arrival of the Notification from USCIS about your interview date, and that will be the final step where an officer will either approve or deny your case .

About the duration of the process and the timeline of each step towards the permanent residence, well there is no exact period of time, all depends on your local USCIS office, the luck of getting transfered to the California SC, which means that if you get transfered, there wont be any interview and you will be approved automatically, there is not certainty nor way of know if you will be getting transfered since I guess is pure luck. Also, a RFE's (Request for evidence, if you made a mistake on your application or they need extra evidence and documentation) might slow down your process and at last, the dreaded name check from the FBI that had kept some couples in an immigration limbo for much as 2 years or more. There is a new change in the law that stated that if the FBI name check takes more than 6 months, USCIS has to issue the greencard but with the condition that if something comes up and the foreign spouse is considered unfit for an adjustment of status, USCIS has the right to cancel the green card and deport her/him.

Check my timeline so it can give you an idea of how long my process has taken.

Buena suerte en el proceso!!

Muchisimas gracias a ti por la ayuda! :)

Timeline:

Adjustment of Status

Removing of Conditions

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

ePcwm7.png

.png

Just a few important points....

It is very unlikely your case will be transfered to CSC and approved without interview and you entered on a tourist visa..... I have never seen anyone be approved without interview who did not come on a K visa....

If you entered the USA on a VWP you should not leave the US until you have your Greencard.... the VWP has conditions attached to it that you give up your right to appeal if you are found to be ineligible for immigration benefits.... If you were to use the AP and try to re-enter you could be denied entry and you would be abandoning your AOS... Your entry on the VWP is classed as being admitted into the USA, entry using the AP you are classed as being paroled into the USA.... there is a big legal difference... It is generally advised no to try using AP if you are doing AOS from a Tourist Visa or VWP.....

Kez

Just a few important points....

It is very unlikely your case will be transfered to CSC and approved without interview and you entered on a tourist visa..... I have never seen anyone be approved without interview who did not come on a K visa....

If you entered the USA on a VWP you should not leave the US until you have your Greencard.... the VWP has conditions attached to it that you give up your right to appeal if you are found to be ineligible for immigration benefits.... If you were to use the AP and try to re-enter you could be denied entry and you would be abandoning your AOS... Your entry on the VWP is classed as being admitted into the USA, entry using the AP you are classed as being paroled into the USA.... there is a big legal difference... It is generally advised no to try using AP if you are doing AOS from a Tourist Visa or VWP.....

Kez

Thanks so much Kez! We don't have any intentions on leaving the country. We applied for AP since (just as the Employment Authorization) it was included for free in the AOS application and the immigration paralegal advised to do so in the remote case there was an emergency. I'm not planning to use even if I get it granted unless there is a family emergency, which I hope it won't be the case.

Thanks again for the information.

Timeline:

Adjustment of Status

Removing of Conditions

07-22-10 Received NOA 1

ePcwm7.png

.png

Be prepared to get asked by USCIS how come you got married on the tourist visa, they are cracking down on it now, if it was spontaneous marriage where you did not invite guests and plan a big wedding you have no problems, otherwise you may have questions to answer as to why you did not go back to your country and file a K1 visa. Best of luck. whistling.gif

zgt3344,

Please dont start this again.... the size of a persons wedding has nothing to do with any questions that might be asked about your intent at entry..... you can not say that if you had no guest and a small wedding then you will have know problems..... it has nothing to do with the sort of wedding you had....

And as for USCIS cracking down on that sort of thing.... there is nothing for USCIS to crack down on.... there is a law that allows for the immediate relative of a USC who legally entered the US to file for Adjustment of Status if they change there mind about wishing to remain after their entry...

So unless USCIS are going to get Congress to change the law... there is nothing for them to clamp down on...

Kez

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Be prepared to get asked by USCIS how come you got married on the tourist visa, they are cracking down on it now, if it was spontaneous marriage where you did not invite guests and plan a big wedding you have no problems, otherwise you may have questions to answer as to why you did not go back to your country and file a K1 visa. Best of luck. whistling.gif

zgt3344,

Please dont start this again.... the size of a persons wedding has nothing to do with any questions that might be asked about your intent at entry..... you can not say that if you had no guest and a small wedding then you will have know problems..... it has nothing to do with the sort of wedding you had....

And as for USCIS cracking down on that sort of thing.... there is nothing for USCIS to crack down on.... there is a law that allows for the immediate relative of a USC who legally entered the US to file for Adjustment of Status if they change there mind about wishing to remain after their entry...

So unless USCIS are going to get Congress to change the law... there is nothing for them to clamp down on...

Kez

WORD brother :thumbs: it is amazing how some people that applied for K-1 react towards those that came on a tourist's and got married, it is like a trigger :P

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.