VisagirlNJ

leaving debt behind

125 posts in this topic

The British courts do not issue arrest warrents for debt.....

The debts he leaves behind will stay on his credit report for 7 years then be wiped out.... it would only be if he returned to the Uk and tried to get credit that they might trace where his is in the Uk....

The Credit companies can not come looking for him in the US...

The Customs and Immigration at UK POE do not check to see if you have debt in the UK before they let you in....

hope this helps

Kezzie

Spot on.

People in life are different, and have different morals on different things. If the OP CANNOT pay the debt, then, they cant pay the debt. Simple as. Personally, I dont see the point in calling a cc company and saying, 'i've left the country please can i still pay you back, from America'!

Again, the OP has asked a question, and once again individuals, as happens in other forums, choose to give their own moral opinion on what the OP should do.

The OP didnt ask for a moral opinion, just possible consequences.

In short, there are pretty much nil, and that is a fact.....unless you should return to the UK and apply for credit straight away, which I wouldnt advise!!

USCIS California Service Center - Expedited

09-SEP-2010 : Mailed I130 Petition to Chicago Lockbox.

16-SEP-2010 : Received NOA1.

24-SEP-2010 : Expedite: service request

05-OCT-2010 : Supporting documents sent to CSC.

16-OCT-2010 : RFE received.

19-OCT-2010 : RFE response received at CSC.

22-OCT-2010 : I130 Petition APPROVED.

30-OCT-2010 : NOA2 Received in Mail

NVC - Expedited

27-OCT-2010 : Case Number Assigned

02-NOV-2010 : Expedite request emailed to NVC

10-NOV-2010 : Expedite approved - Case forwarded to Consulate

12-NOV-2010 : Medical

US Embassy - Expedited

18-NOV-2010 : Packet 3 email received.

19-NOV-2010 : Emailed DS230, DS2001

30-NOV-2010 : Interview - 9am Denied: 3 year bar (overstay) - i601 Waiver filed with expedite request

01-DEC-2010 : MP requests assistance from US Ambassador

03-DEC-2010 : Waiver transferred from USCIS to DHS

11-DEC-2010 : Waiver Receipt notification dated 07-DEC-2010

20-DEC-2010 : VISA/Waiver Approved

22-DEC-2010 : Approval letter received

24-DEC-2010 : Passport collected by courier

10-JAN-2011 : CR1 Visa Issued by IVU London

11-JAN-2011 : Passport / Visa delivered.

18-JAN-2011 : POE: EWR (Newark, New Jersey)

17-FEB-2011 : Welcome Letter Arrived

19-FEB-2011 : Green Card I-551 Arrived

I-130 Mailing to Approval (incl. waiver): 102 Days

OCT 2012 : Applied for Removal of Conditions

DEC 2012 : Received NOA1 (GC extention letter)

18-JAN-2013 : Biometrics walk in approved and completed

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a "Line Of Credit & a Credit Card that I pay from here.

They can mail you your statement to your new address. They can also make arrangements to consolidate them if thats what the OP needs.

All We do is buy a money order for the monthly amount I owe and send it to them. Easy peasy !

Actually my Hubby sends it cuz I don't have a job as of yet. Once I'm working full time then I'm hoping to eventually pay off the total amount owed .

Edited by raphael7546

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Timeline

Well its very good to be able to pay off every penny that you owe.... but not everyone is in a position to do that.... when you are in the situation where its food or pay the bill what are you ment to do???

At no time did the OP say that they were never going to pay them just what would happen if he did not pay just now and wanted to return on vacation to the UK....

The Information I gave is correct and accurate.... does not mean that I approve of not paying your debts....

Kezzie

this is a sensative subject to be because if someone defaults on a debt with a company that I do business with I end up paying for it one way or another. We have become way to light on people not being responsible. If you can afford to immigrate you can afford to pay your bills.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

I never said anyone wouldn't pay. SOmetimes people just can't pay and if we wait until it's completely paid off he'll never get here. You people are all just jumping to conclusions. I'm sure not all of you are so moral and ethical either in certain situations so don't pass judgement.

Bankruptcy is always an option as well.

Late November 2004 Sent out I-129 package

December 8, 2004 NOA2 approved

February 2005 Receives Pakcage 3

Late April, 2005 Sent back package 3

Early August 2005 Receives package 4

November 2, 2005 Medical

November 8, 2005 Interview... success!

November 9, 2005 Received Visa at 9am by courier

May 2 or 3,2006 He arrives in the USA

May 13, 2006 Wedding

July 3, 2006 Sent out for AOS, EAD, and AP

July 13, 2006 Received NOA's for all three

Sep. 21, 2006 Received AP

Sep. 23, 2006 Received EAD. YAY!

February 15, 2007 Approved without interview!! Card ordered for production

February 16, 2007 Mail notice sent welcoming new permanent resident

December 23, 2008 Sent in I-751 to remove conditions

January 5, 2009 Received NOA

February 6, 2009 Biometrics appt.

now just waiting....

...The again, if banks and CC companies didnt throw money or cards at people, then demand such ridiculous rates of interest, maybe these situations wouldnt arise in the first place?

They're more than willing to give families or whomever, credit, even though they can see that they arent in a situation to be able to cope with repayments. The onus of responsibility lies with the lender, in MY opinion.

I wish you luck...and to be honest...if I were you, Id place that worry WAY down the list!

NVC - Expedited

US Embassy - Expedited

30-NOV-2010 : Interview - 9am Denied: 3 year bar (overstay) - i601 Waiver filed with expedite request

If you can afford to immigrate you can afford to pay your bills.

Sorry I strongly disagree. Say someone in the US agrees to support you. I know people that have left with NOTHING, left debt behind and are doing just fine. Very happy.

One may question a conscience.....does the lender have a conscience when it sends threats and/or demands?

Doesnt wash with me at all. I have sympathy for people in debt. Been there myself. Do I have sympathy for a major financial corporation?

Do I hell.

NVC - Expedited

US Embassy - Expedited

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's kinda funny how people have no problem spending the money but when it comes time to pay it back you end up hearing excuses like we are seeing in this post ... Maybe people shouldn't spend money that they don't have ... Credit does not mean you have extra money, believe it or not it actually means your spending money that you don't have ... It's pretty simple actually ....

I was always brought up that you pay things like rent, loans, credit cards first and if you happen to have some money left over then you get eat ... You know you can go many days on potatoes and noodle soup ....

I think many people that are in debt need to learn their priorities ... I am planning on paying off all of my debts before I leave ... and if I did leave with debts I'd make damn sure that I paid it off from the US ...

I know I will have to pay canadian income tax for 2006 yet I still plan on paying that off from the US ...

I gues it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

It's kinda funny how people have no problem spending the money but when it comes time to pay it back you end up hearing excuses like we are seeing in this post ... Maybe people shouldn't spend money that they don't have ... Credit does not mean you have extra money, believe it or not it actually means your spending money that you don't have ... It's pretty simple actually ....

I was always brought up that you pay things like rent, loans, credit cards first and if you happen to have some money left over then you get eat ... You know you can go many days on potatoes and noodle soup ....

I think many people that are in debt need to learn their priorities ... I am planning on paying off all of my debts before I leave ... and if I did leave with debts I'd make damn sure that I paid it off from the US ...

I know I will have to pay canadian income tax for 2006 yet I still plan on paying that off from the US ...

No my dear, It's not that people in debt have no priorities. Millions of people are in debt and many times it comes from unforseen circumstances such as job loss, illness, death in the family, and etc. You cannot judge people without knowing why they are in debt. Yes if you spend thousands and thousands traveling the world and buy frivolous things then you are irresponsible.

Late November 2004 Sent out I-129 package

December 8, 2004 NOA2 approved

February 2005 Receives Pakcage 3

Late April, 2005 Sent back package 3

Early August 2005 Receives package 4

November 2, 2005 Medical

November 8, 2005 Interview... success!

November 9, 2005 Received Visa at 9am by courier

May 2 or 3,2006 He arrives in the USA

May 13, 2006 Wedding

July 3, 2006 Sent out for AOS, EAD, and AP

July 13, 2006 Received NOA's for all three

Sep. 21, 2006 Received AP

Sep. 23, 2006 Received EAD. YAY!

February 15, 2007 Approved without interview!! Card ordered for production

February 16, 2007 Mail notice sent welcoming new permanent resident

December 23, 2008 Sent in I-751 to remove conditions

January 5, 2009 Received NOA

February 6, 2009 Biometrics appt.

now just waiting....

Filed: Timeline

So tell me what you do if you cant pay things like the rent?? and it still costs money to buy potayoes and noodle soup...

You are luckey that you are in a possition to pay off anything you own.... but not everyone is.....

As for if you can afford to immigrate the you can afford to pay your debts.. that is pure Cr**... there are thousands of Immigrants who come here with nothing and spend many years trying to put a little something away for that rainy day.... I for one am worse off living here in the states than I was in the UK and I dont have any debts....

Kezzie

No my dear, It's not that people in debt have no priorities. Millions of people are in debt and many times it comes from unforseen circumstances such as job loss, illness, death in the family, and etc. You cannot judge people without knowing why they are in debt. Yes if you spend thousands and thousands traveling the world and buy frivolous things then you are irresponsible.

It amazes me how many people take the moral high ground and give lectures on 'how it should be'.

We all know credit is not free money. Sometimes there are exceptional circumstances that cannot be controlled. The lenders then jump on these people and offer them money repeatedly, well, they do in the UK.

I dount the OP will lose sleep thinking about what the do-gooder's of VJ think. Possibly instead of lecturing, people may stop and think before they type and consider WHY people get in a mess in the first instance. I suppose these individuals think that the third world countries should pay back their debt too....as they've been 'irresponsible'!!!!!!!!!!

The mugs are the banks etc.....but they're wealthy mugs.

I've worked with Citizens Advice and have seen it many times, but yes'Waiting in Vancouver', it does depend on what you're comfortable at the end of the day.

NVC - Expedited

US Embassy - Expedited

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

[RANT]

We have become way to light on people not being responsible. If you can afford to immigrate you can afford to pay your bills.

I'm sorry, but that's not always the way it goes. I understand that there are people who genuinely are horrendously irresponsible, but for every one of them there are many, many more people who find themselves using credit simply to live. Not to live in a McMansion, but to get through their every day life. Do a little research into predatory lending, it will open the eyes of the self-righteous. As an interesting facet of that, did you know that Sears makes more money through it's policy of giving low-rating people a line of credit than it does from selling things? Check it out.

As for the "If you can afford to immigrate, you can afford to pay your debts", think again my dear! I left the UK owing a little on my credit card which I did pay back, but I also left over £7000 in student loans. There was no way I could have cleared that debt before I left - I couldn't even afford to move out of my parents house. Granted, I left to work and subsequently immigrated, but that debt is still sitting there waiting to be paid. My husband and I are barely making rent, groceries and his debts here in the US - what would you prefer I go without, Waiting in Vancouver; food, a roof over my head or should we ignore the debt that he has, or the utilities maybe? Sometimes you can't have it all and something has to give - in this case, my student loan was the one I could hold off on.

If you have been able to arrive in the US debt-free, that's wonderful. Congratulations. Here's my great big round of applause. It doesn't make you in any way better than the people who left behind debts though, and neither does it give you some kind of moral high-ground. The OP's other half is obviously not going to be able to clear their debts, and the reasons for it are, quite frankly, none of our business. The least we can do is to get off our damn soapboxes and answer the question based on the facts we have and not our prejudices.

[/RANT]

:star:

Edited by clmarsh

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
... he's afraid hed get arrested or something at the airport because theyd flag his passport. I told him that sounds crazy.

They can't flag his passport just yet -- there's no passport database at POE to check against (yet - it's in the works).

Immigration is one way to avoid paying your bills. :devil:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

... he's afraid hed get arrested or something at the airport because theyd flag his passport. I told him that sounds crazy.

They can't flag his passport just yet -- there's no passport database at POE to check against (yet - it's in the works).

Immigration is one way to avoid paying your bills. :devil:

:devil::devil::devil:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
[RANT]

We have become way to light on people not being responsible. If you can afford to immigrate you can afford to pay your bills.

I'm sorry, but that's not always the way it goes. I understand that there are people who genuinely are horrendously irresponsible, but for every one of them there are many, many more people who find themselves using credit simply to live. Not to live in a McMansion, but to get through their every day life. Do a little research into predatory lending, it will open the eyes of the self-righteous. As an interesting facet of that, did you know that Sears makes more money through it's policy of giving low-rating people a line of credit than it does from selling things? Check it out.

As for the "If you can afford to immigrate, you can afford to pay your debts", think again my dear! I left the UK owing a little on my credit card which I did pay back, but I also left over £7000 in student loans. There was no way I could have cleared that debt before I left - I couldn't even afford to move out of my parents house. Granted, I left to work and subsequently immigrated, but that debt is still sitting there waiting to be paid. My husband and I are barely making rent, groceries and his debts here in the US - what would you prefer I go without, Waiting in Vancouver; food, a roof over my head or should we ignore the debt that he has, or the utilities maybe? Sometimes you can't have it all and something has to give - in this case, my student loan was the one I could hold off on.

If you have been able to arrive in the US debt-free, that's wonderful. Congratulations. Here's my great big round of applause. It doesn't make you in any way better than the people who left behind debts though, and neither does it give you some kind of moral high-ground. The OP's other half is obviously not going to be able to clear their debts, and the reasons for it are, quite frankly, none of our business. The least we can do is to get off our damn soapboxes and answer the question based on the facts we have and not our prejudices.

[/RANT]

:star:

ROFL ... Your post isn't even worth responding too

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.