workin4somethin

So.... how are the driving lessons going?

316 posts in this topic

Welcome back, TG. Sounds like you guys are about where we are in the driving stages.

I've had a few "tense moments" while out on the streets but she's making pretty good progress. Driving around town isn't so bad, it's the parking lots and that whole "reverse" thing that's still kind of tricky. I'm hoping it gets easier with practice.

The manueverability is tricky. (Here, there is a "cones" test where one must manuever through some cones and then reverse back through them, similar to a parallel parking test.) We're practicing that quite a bit in abandoned parking lots. We acquired a few cones and set them up just like the test.

She's passed the written test and has a physical driving test set up for two weeks from now. We're going to hit the cones hard (well, manuever around them, anyway... I hope we don't "hit" any of them!) and practice on the streets. We live in a busy area and it's very nerve-racking, even for me, so we'll be practicing hard the next couple of weeks.

I'll keep everyone updated. For me, this is almost as big a deal as the interview in Moscow! I'm going to be on here like, "Only 3 hours til the test! I can't sleep."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks Slim,

In Pennsylvania you need to take the written test and physical to get the learners permit. I guess it makes sense to know someone is healthy and knows the rules of the road before they get behind the wheel.

The rules of the road still don't seem totally in her noggin. She asks me on each intersection what she should do. I think she usualy knows but wants to confirm it. Then if there is a side road angling in and she sees a yield sign she thinks she should yield even though the sign is on the other road. I think my gal is a ways away from driving on her own but she does not seem to be in a hurry for the test.

I do get some white knuckles sometimes.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Thanks Slim,

In Pennsylvania you need to take the written test and physical to get the learners permit. I guess it makes sense to know someone is healthy and knows the rules of the road before they get behind the wheel.

The rules of the road still don't seem totally in her noggin. She asks me on each intersection what she should do. I think she usualy knows but wants to confirm it. Then if there is a side road angling in and she sees a yield sign she thinks she should yield even though the sign is on the other road. I think my gal is a ways away from driving on her own but she does not seem to be in a hurry for the test.

Wow, they have to take a physical in PA? Here in Florida for renewals if you are over 90 or have an oxygen tank and a walker they waive the test and issue a lifetime license....at least it appears that way.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

when i got my learner's permit in PA I didn't take any kind of physical. did they change it in the last five years or something?

Thanks Slim,

Wow, they have to take a physical in PA? Here in Florida for renewals if you are over 90 or have an oxygen tank and a walker they waive the test and issue a lifetime license....at least it appears that way.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't understand why this whole driving lessons thread exists. Driving is not very hard people. My wife, who did not drive in Russia, got her driver's license after being here a little less than a month - and a license to drive a motorcycle the following summer. Unless there is some kind of paperwork problem, I dunno why it should take much longer than this.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I never got my license because I totaled my brother's car with my mom is the passenger seat while I had my learner's permit. I probably will get it one day, but with a professional driving instructor teaching me how to drive.

I don't understand why this whole driving lessons thread exists. Driving is not very hard people. My wife, who did not drive in Russia, got her driver's license after being here a little less than a month - and a license to drive a motorcycle the following summer. Unless there is some kind of paperwork problem, I dunno why it should take much longer than this.
Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

If everyone was like your wife, then there would be no thread. Obviously you are in the minority. Seems pretty strait forward.

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

It seems odd to me that you are required to have insurance to apply for a drivers liscence. People are not insured, vehicles are. In Pennsylvania the car you take your drivers test in must be insured. Are you sure you are reading the instructions properly B.F. Remember they were written by government employees who are not recognized for making anything clear.

Sorry, but I still have my reading license. :) NC DMV gives me the list of required docs in black ink:

- proof of residency;

- proof of age and identity;

- proof of liability insurance;

- SS card.

All these are required even at a learner's permit stage. Besides, they verify the person's legal status in the country and it may take them another 2 months, I am told.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think the main thing they want with the physical is to keep anyone off the road that may end be prone to seizures or fainting spells or the like.

The residency requirements in PA can be tough as well. Voyager went through some difficulties with that part. We got lucky and breezed through that part. You need a couple of bills with your name on and a bank account to that address here.

Yes, I think AK got lucky. We go out driving every day for an hour and a half and I think she is a good month away from her test at best. She still misses some stop signs, has a hard time with yields and has some rough spots to work out. Yesterday I had her on her first expressway. It went ok. I am still alive and the pickup is still in one piece.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

They should have a "phone books required" stamp on the license. I've seen more than a few blue-hairs peeking up over the wheel as they pilot their 19-footers down I-75 going appx. 54MPH. Check the plates..... myflorida.com, of course.

Your wife also has a job. I didn't think working and paying bills was a hard concept to grasp either, but apparently it's pretty tough for some of the Russian ladies.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Your wife also has a job. I didn't think working and paying bills was a hard concept to grasp either, but apparently it's pretty tough for some of the Russian ladies.
HAHAHAAHAHA. Thanks for the laugh man (:

Your comments about "being a fashionable girl" and you getting a second job (in this thread or another, don't remember which) got my attention. Is this causing much tension for you? This would be a serious problem for me - there is no way I could put up with a non-contributor or someone with the attitude your wife seems to have (as you describe here). Are you guys doing OK?

As for my wifey - yeah, she has a job (: She just (as in this month) got her master's degree (second overall, first American one) and is going out on interviews. She has a second interview with one place today - as a logistics manager (first interview was via phone, we were in Russia - then they wanted her to take some internet based leadership and skills tests, which she also did from Russia). I told her that all research seems to indicate this job should pay in the 50-60K range and that she should tell them she would be happy with $55K, based on her skills, education, experience, etc. - if the subject of money comes up in this interview. We'll see how it goes (:

Maybe if wifey gets this new job, she'll buy a motorcycle so we can ride together (:

As for getting a DL - well, 10 minutes of driving around should make it obvious to anyone that one needs no driving skills whatsoever to get a license. I just don't see why getting one seems to be so hard for some of these ladies.

Cheers!

AKDiver

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

I completely agree with you AKD, and yes, it does cause me some tension. Sure, there are some issues here at the house but one day it's crazy, and the next day it's wonderful. I really don't know what to do some I'm just rolling with it.... for now.

I'm hoping that one day it will just "come together" and either she'll get it, or I'll finally get her, and it will all make sense. Until then, as we say around here... it's 50/50!

Русский форум член.

Timeline
I completely agree with you AKD, and yes, it does cause me some tension. Sure, there are some issues here at the house but one day it's crazy, and the next day it's wonderful. I really don't know what to do some I'm just rolling with it.... for now. I'm hoping that one day it will just "come together" and either she'll get it, or I'll finally get her, and it will all make sense. Until then, as we say around here... it's 50/50!
I'm happy to have avoided this issue - for at least two reasons. First, she is career-oriented to begin with (she had her own travel agency in Russia, for example). Second, we talked about this issue in advance and had an understanding.

I think that pretty much the only thing that could do us in is the offspring issue - she wants a kid, I do not. We talked about this in advance too - agreed it could be a problem at some point - but decided to get married anyway. I got a reprieve for at least 5 years after getting married - quickly coming up on the third anniversary. I guess in another two plus years, I'm scheduled for a lifetime of child-induced misery. I guess that's a step above poverty-induced misery though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I think that pretty much the only thing that could do us in is the offspring issue - she wants a kid, I do not. We talked about this in advance too - agreed it could be a problem at some point - but decided to get married anyway. I got a reprieve for at least 5 years after getting married - quickly coming up on the third anniversary. I guess in another two plus years, I'm scheduled for a lifetime of child-induced misery.
If a woman is set on having kids, she will, whether you like it or not. If not with you, then with someone else, if you get my rift on the subject. Edited by Satellite

Timeline
I think that pretty much the only thing that could do us in is the offspring issue - she wants a kid, I do not. We talked about this in advance too - agreed it could be a problem at some point - but decided to get married anyway. I got a reprieve for at least 5 years after getting married - quickly coming up on the third anniversary. I guess in another two plus years, I'm scheduled for a lifetime of child-induced misery.
If a woman is set on having kids, she will, whether you like it or not. If not with you, then with someone else, if you get my rift on the subject.
Uh....yes....but not sure what your point is. Like I said - I have a 5 year reprieve before having to fulfill my end of the agreement. After that - let the misery begin.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.