Cdn_Ali

Residency Requirement for US Citizen in Australia

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Please note the following if you are considering filing an I-130 petition:

Unlike filing petitions in the United States, petitions submitted overseas must be submitted in person by the U.S. citizen, not by mail.

To be eligible to file a petition in Australia, the petitioner must have maintained continuous residency in Australia for a minimum of the preceding six months. In addition, he/she must be able to show permission to reside in Australia and demonstrate that he/she has been doing so for at least six months before filing the petition.

If the petitioner is a member of the U.S. military stationed outside of the U.S., a copy of his/her orders must accompany the I-130 petition.

I am a dual citizen of Australia & Canada. Due to waiting times of over a year with the backlog in Canada, my US Citizen husband and I were planning on filing DCF in Australia because it is much faster. For a long time, Australia was one of the few countries who did not require proof of 6 months residency, even as recently as last year.

However, being the cautious person I am, I thought I'd better double check that they were still allowing non-resident USC to file in person in Sydney without the 6 month residency before we booked tickets to fly over & a good thing I did. Their response is above - I guess they have come into line with all the other consulates around the world.

So there is the update! Bummer for us... If anyone has gotten around the residency requirement for the USC recently, you'll have to let me know.

Good luck to all.

Removal of Conditions I-751

07.23.2018 Sent I-751 Priority Express to CSC (California)

08.02.2018 18 month Green Card extension letter

07.16.2019 Biometrics complete

09.04.2019 Case transferred to Lee's Summit, MO (NBC)

03.22.2021 New card in production

03.23.2021 I-751 approval notice (without interview)

03.27.2021 10-year green card received

N400 Naturalization Application

07.22.2019 Online application; USCIS estimated completion Sept 2020

07.31.2019 Biometrics complete

12.18.2020 Contacted State Senator (I-751 pending for more than 2 years)

05.10.2021 Interview  - recommended for approval

06.03.2021 Oath day...finally done!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am a dual citizen of Australia & Canada. Due to waiting times of over a year with the backlog in Canada, my US Citizen husband and I were planning on filing DCF in Australia because it is much faster. For a long time, Australia was one of the few countries who did not require proof of 6 months residency, even as recently as last year.

However, being the cautious person I am, I thought I'd better double check that they were still allowing non-resident USC to file in person in Sydney without the 6 month residency before we booked tickets to fly over & a good thing I did. Their response is above - I guess they have come into line with all the other consulates around the world.

So there is the update! Bummer for us... If anyone has gotten around the residency requirement for the USC recently, you'll have to let me know.

Good luck to all.

Many consulates waived the 6 mos requirement for years.... After the enactment of the Adam Walsh Child Protection act in 2006 (effective early 2007), SecState mandated all consulate districts abide by the 6 mos residency requirement.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Good luck to all.

Many consulates waived the 6 mos requirement for years.... After the enactment of the Adam Walsh Child Protection act in 2006 (effective early 2007), SecState mandated all consulate districts abide by the 6 mos residency requirement.

Yep you can read about it here: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2007/mar/82030.htm

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

• 4 weeks later...

Im a USC residing w/ my Australian wife in Sydney for 13 months now. At the US immigration website it states that DCF petitioners in Australia must show proof of residence in Australia for 6 months and a valid visa for 6 months. But it also states that temporary residents such as students or tourists need not to show any proof of 6 months valid residence. Im in Australia on a 5 year temporary visa, does that qualify me as temporary? Or does temporary only mean tourists and students?

Also, I was notified by Australia immigration 7 months ago that my 5 year visa was granted and in the email it stated that i should go to get my passport stamped "as soon as possible", how long does that mean? Because I have yet to have my visa stamped since i was notified that the visa was granted. I was also given the visa number in the same correspondence so I assumed that would be enough since they did not state that having my passport stamped was mandatory and/or must be done by a specific date.

If anyone knows anything about this, please help, thanks :)

2010 Sydney DCF Timeline:

May 29- Emailed US consulate in Sydney requesting appointment to file I-130 petition

May 30- Received email from consulate with appointment and instructions to file petition for June 3rd

June 3- Filed I-130 petition at consulate

June 15- Email from consulate with Packet 3 instructions

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Please note the following if you are considering filing an I-130 petition:

Unlike filing petitions in the United States, petitions submitted overseas must be submitted in person by the U.S. citizen, not by mail.

To be eligible to file a petition in Australia, the petitioner must have maintained continuous residency in Australia for a minimum of the preceding six months. In addition, he/she must be able to show permission to reside in Australia and demonstrate that he/she has been doing so for at least six months before filing the petition.

If the petitioner is a member of the U.S. military stationed outside of the U.S., a copy of his/her orders must accompany the I-130 petition.

Good luck to all.

We ran into the same thing. I thought for sure we had found a loop hole to be together sooner... nope. :( Thank God I had emailed and asked or else we would have been filing K3 instead and waiting longer! Unfortunately the only other alternative is having the USC file the fiance visa to migrate to Australia instead of the US (it's a lot faster in some cases).

K1
January 14, 2008: I29F Sent
May 20, 2008: INTERVIEW!!! (127 days)
September 27, 2008: Liam Arrives USA (POE LAX)
November 7, 2008: Wedding smile.png

AOS/EAD/AP
February 4, 2009: AOS Packet Sent
March 4, 2009: Biometrics Appointment
March 5, 2009: Case Transferred to the CSC
April 6, 2009: EAD/AP/AOS Approved
April 15, 2009: Received GREEN CARD!!!

Removing Conditions
January 5, 2011: Mailed I-751
January 6, 2011: I-751 received and signed for
January 11, 2011: Check Cashed
January 7, 2011: NOA date
January 14, 2011: NOA Received
February 10, 2011: Called USCIS requesting update (beyond 30 day timeline for biometrics letter)
February 14, 2011: Biometrics letter received
March 9, 2011: Biometrics Appt
April 6, 2011: GC Expirtation Date
June 24, 2011: 10yr GC Approved!
June 30, 2011: Received Approval Letter
July 12, 2011: 10yr GC received in the mail

Naturalization

December 31, 2013: Mailed N-400

January 2, 2014: Application received by Dallas office

January 14, 2014: Biometrics Notification

January 27, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

February 4, 2014: Testing & Interview Case Status

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.