The Robinsons

Will you become a U.S. Citizen?

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Like Cassie and Karen and a few of the other Canadians have said, I will be applying for US citizenship to gain the freedom from USCIS and the flexibility of living wherever we want without losing all that I have put into this journey so far. I also believe that if I am paying taxes I want a say in how those taxes are spent so I want the right to vote - and although I don't see it happening - holding an elected office. I want the freedom to be able to work at any job for which I am qualified - many of which happen to be open only to US citizens. If, however, I had to give up my Canadian citizenship to do it, I wouldn't. I would keep paying the money to USCIS to keep the green card valid. Thank heavens for dual citizenship!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
No. Living there and loving and American doesn't make me one. Apart from that - my country does not allow dual citizenship and I certainly want to keep mine. We may be moving back there in a few years after all...

Germany allows dual citizenship for its own citizens as long as you fill out a form beforehand with the German embassy explaining why you do not want to give up your German citizenship. They also offer it for children of German parentage. My daughter is a dual citizen. However, I have no right to it as an American if I wanted German citizenship. Ridiculous, I think, but whatever. PR status isn't that bad.

Edited by Wacken

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I will probably apply for citizenship but it might not be for a few years after I am eligible. I hate to say it but just like many of the other posters, one of my main reasons for wanting to apply for citizenship is to be done with the USCIS. I don't relish the $600+ fee but to just be done with all the paperwork will be great. In addition, the ability to vote and extend my job opportunities is also very attractive but if there was a way to gain those benfits without requiring citizenship, that would also be an attractive option. I'm in no real hurry because I won't be able to vote in the upcoming election so don't really need the naturalization process completed until I need to be able to vote in 2012.

I am very proud of my British roots and wouldn't even consider citizenship if it meant giving up my British citizenship. The fact that I can hold both UK and US passports makes the decision easier for me than for some others and I'm thankful for that. I always tell people that my move to the US was because of the my deep rooted love for an American, not a deep rooted love OF America and that is why becoming a US citizen is not something I have dreamed of for many years.

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I will probably apply for citizenship but it might not be for a few years after I am eligible. I hate to say it but just like many of the other posters, one of my main reasons for wanting to apply for citizenship is to be done with the USCIS. I don't relish the $600+ fee but to just be done with all the paperwork will be great. In addition, the ability to vote and extend my job opportunities is also very attractive but if there was a way to gain those benfits without requiring citizenship, that would also be an attractive option. I'm in no real hurry because I won't be able to vote in the upcoming election so don't really need the naturalization process completed until I need to be able to vote in 2012.

I am very proud of my British roots and wouldn't even consider citizenship if it meant giving up my British citizenship. The fact that I can hold both UK and US passports makes the decision easier for me than for some others and I'm thankful for that. I always tell people that my move to the US was because of the my deep rooted love for an American, not a deep rooted love OF America and that is why becoming a US citizen is not something I have dreamed of for many years.

Mark :)

Same here ,I will stay Canadian for the rest of my life

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

EU Visa requirements are driving the decision for us. To visit France this spring, my wife, who has a green card and a Russian passport, had to go to San Francisco to be fingerprinted at the French Consulate. Total cost for two (airline tickets, meals, hotel, and fees): over $900. This is for a single 3-week tourist visa, not anything fancy. As a US citizen, she could have gone to France without a visa. That is pretty much a no-brainer for us. She will apply for US citizenship on the day she becomes eligible.

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

Timeline
EU Visa requirements are driving the decision for us. To visit France this spring, my wife, who has a green card and a Russian passport, had to go to San Francisco to be fingerprinted at the French Consulate. Total cost for two (airline tickets, meals, hotel, and fees): over $900. This is for a single 3-week tourist visa, not anything fancy. As a US citizen, she could have gone to France without a visa. That is pretty much a no-brainer for us. She will apply for US citizenship on the day she becomes eligible.

Yes ...you have no choice because her passport won't take her to far but for the rest of us ,Australians,British,Canadians,Dutch...just to name some I don't think we really need it

Of course it's your choice to decide what passport you're flashing !

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Yes ...you have no choice because her passport won't take her to far but for the rest of us ,Australians,British,Canadians,Dutch...just to name some I don't think we really need it

You know, you've made it abundantly clear that you have no interest in pursuing US citizenship and that you don't want to pay anymore fees to USCIS (nevermind that you'll still have to deal with them for as long as you live in the states, no matter what your British friend does.) Now it seems that you are trying to say that it only makes sense for individuals from certain countries. I don't know why it bothers you so much what others want to do. So other people want to pay a fee to finally be done with USCIS...so what??? Why do you continue to make digs at people for not having the "proper reasons" for pursuing citizenship? Your posts always show, to me, that you have a big chip on your shoulder. Well guess what, we are all angry/annoyed/frustrated, to different degrees, not just you, but that doesn't mean we have to start picking apart other's decisions.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I will only apply if Germany allows me dual citizenship.

If not, I shall remain German.

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Timeline

You know, you've made it abundantly clear that you have no interest in pursuing US citizenship and that you don't want to pay anymore fees to USCIS (nevermind that you'll still have to deal with them for as long as you live in the states, no matter what your British friend does.) Now it seems that you are trying to say that it only makes sense for individuals from certain countries. I don't know why it bothers you so much what others want to do. So other people want to pay a fee to finally be done with USCIS...so what??? Why do you continue to make digs at people for not having the "proper reasons" for pursuing citizenship? Your posts always show, to me, that you have a big chip on your shoulder. Well guess what, we are all angry/annoyed/frustrated, to different degrees, not just you, but that doesn't mean we have to start picking apart other's decisions.

And...you problem is ?????

I really don't care either you want to apply or not for US Citizenship and I think I'm aloud to write whatever I want

Just ignore my comments if you don't like them

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I really don't care either you want to apply or not for US Citizenship and I think I'm aloud to write whatever I want

Yeah, you aloud alright...

Just calling 'em how I see 'em

BTW, I AM a US citzen.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Yeah, you aloud alright...

Just calling 'em how I see 'em

BTW, I AM a US citzen.

Good for you !!!!

My husband (a UKC) is applying as soon as he possibly can (20 May 2010, but who's counting?). He considers himself an American (or at least one in training) already, and having the citizenship will seal this. I had to talk him out of formally renouncing his British citizenship; although he professes no desire to ever live in the UK or even Europe again, I stressed to him the benefits of having a non-US passport for some travel and work purposes.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
My husband (a UKC) (...) professes no desire to ever live in the UK or even Europe again

His reasons would be interesting for me. Could you elaborate why?

Yes, that will be interesting to know. These days is always better to have a backup place ...just in case and Europe is not that bad either

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
My husband (a UKC) is applying as soon as he possibly can (20 May 2010, but who's counting?). He considers himself an American (or at least one in training) already, and having the citizenship will seal this. I had to talk him out of formally renouncing his British citizenship; although he professes no desire to ever live in the UK or even Europe again, I stressed to him the benefits of having a non-US passport for some travel and work purposes.

Richard has no interest in returning to the UK either, not even to visit. I would love to see where he "came from" and I suspect eventually we will make the journey there, but it won't be anytime soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.