anushkam

Passport expires during AOS process ....

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

HI ,

as far as i know a passport has to be at least six months valid while applying for AOS.So what happens if the passport expires during the process ?? Can my husband who is from India can renew his passport from his indian embassy or somewhere while the process is going on ??

We wd be applying soon and his passport is still 2 yrs valid !!

Can someone answer us ?? Thanks so much !!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
HI ,

as far as i know a passport has to be at least six months valid while applying for AOS.So what happens if the passport expires during the process ?? Can my husband who is from India can renew his passport from his indian embassy or somewhere while the process is going on ??

Your understanding of the requirement of a valid passport for AOS is incorrect.... A passport typically is a document that you show when you travel from country to country... your adjustment of status to permanent residence has nothing to do with travelling .... other form of ID can be used if you have an interview

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

HI ,

Your understanding of the requirement of a valid passport for AOS is incorrect.... A passport is a document that you show when you travel from country to country... your adjustment of status to permanent residence has nothing to do with travelling ....

I know I & my husband are totals newbies in this process.........NOw so what do u say , we can continue with his expired passport till we dnt get a Green Card ?? Or to get it renewed thru some indian embassy here in usa ?? Pls advice .Thanks so much !!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Contacting the local embassy would be your best bet. I know for Canadians, we can go online to get the forms to renew our Canadian passports, perhaps that's an option in your case?

Good luck....a good thing to remember, if you wanted to travel prior to getting the GC, wouldn't you want to have a valid passport, as well as AP of course?

HI ,

Your understanding of the requirement of a valid passport for AOS is incorrect.... A passport is a document that you show when you travel from country to country... your adjustment of status to permanent residence has nothing to do with travelling ....

I know I & my husband are totals newbies in this process.........NOw so what do u say , we can continue with his expired passport till we dnt get a Green Card ?? Or to get it renewed thru some indian embassy here in usa ?? Pls advice .Thanks so much !!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

My kids passports expired 3 yrs ago. That is 2 yrs before we applied for AOS. We now have our greencards and the passports are still expired, I am about to send them off for renewal. It never caused any issues.

HI ,

You say his passport is still valid for 2 years..... the chances are you will be approved for AOS long before then.....

Here is the link to renew passports from India. http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=165

Kez

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

interesting!!!! I sent my AOS application July 2007 and my passport was to expire September 07

I renewed my passport in late September 07...it was not a problem at all! I just received my approval for Green card last week!

HI ,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.