Army_Wife

US Military Spouses

700 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Copies to USCIS. You should check in at the Malaysian forum to see if there is any additional/special requirements for you. You'll be able to get country specific advice because it does vary. Best of luck.

yeah, I did, but didn't get any response from them. It's cool, we got that sorted out.

I do have a question though, hope someone can help.

My husband lives in the US while I am in Malaysia. I have a tourist visa, which is valid for at least another 5 years. We haven't filed for I-130 yet since we just recently got married.

Recently, my husband called the USCIS military helpline (he's with the military). The lady he talked to told him I could fly to the US on a one way ticket, tell the IO if i get asked, that I'm filing for adjustment of status in the US and stay, hence the one way ticket. She also said it's ok, and we can do it.

From what I understand, a tourist visa means I can visit but not stay. My question would be would flying there on a one-way ticket be ok? I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I don't want to fly all the way there only to be told to go back to Malaysia, or worse, get banned from entering the US.

I'm a little concerned here since this advice came from the military helpline staff. My husband is disappointed when I told her I'm a little unsure about that, and asked why the lady would give him bad advice that could jeopardize our chances of being together.

Can anyone help clarify? thank you for your feedback!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

yeah, I did, but didn't get any response from them. It's cool, we got that sorted out.

I do have a question though, hope someone can help.

My husband lives in the US while I am in Malaysia. I have a tourist visa, which is valid for at least another 5 years. We haven't filed for I-130 yet since we just recently got married.

Recently, my husband called the USCIS military helpline (he's with the military). The lady he talked to told him I could fly to the US on a one way ticket, tell the IO if i get asked, that I'm filing for adjustment of status in the US and stay, hence the one way ticket. She also said it's ok, and we can do it.

From what I understand, a tourist visa means I can visit but not stay. My question would be would flying there on a one-way ticket be ok? I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I don't want to fly all the way there only to be told to go back to Malaysia, or worse, get banned from entering the US.

I'm a little concerned here since this advice came from the military helpline staff. My husband is disappointed when I told her I'm a little unsure about that, and asked why the lady would give him bad advice that could jeopardize our chances of being together.

Can anyone help clarify? thank you for your feedback!

Most countries you can't buy a one-way ticket unless you are a resident or citizen of the country you are going too. That is bad advise, buy a 2 way ticket and go and visit. You can make up your mind if you want to adjust. most ppl on here will say not to enter the country that way but alot of individuals have adjusted and it has been no issues. Just my opinion anyway

Married August 9th

USCIS
NOA1- November 19th
Touch - November 21st
Request Expedite-February 13th
NOA2 - March 16th

NVC
3/19/12 --- NVC Received CaseFile
4/02/12 --- NVC Casefile Number and IIN Issued
4/02/12 --- Emailed DS-3032 to NVC
4/03/12 --- AOS FEE GENERATED
4/06/12 --- DS-3032 ACCEPTED
4/10/12 --- AOS PAID
4/11/12 --- AOS SHOWING PAID ON NVC WEBSITE
4/25/12 --- IV INVOICED
5/03/12 --- IV PAID
5/04/12 --- IV SHOWING PAID (MONEY WITHDRAWN FROM BANK A/C)
5/04/12 --- AOS & IV packet sent
5/09/12 --- AOS & IV Packet Delivered
5/09/12 --- AOS & IV PACKET RECEIVED
5/09/12 --- CASE COMPLETE
5/10/12 --- Interview Date Set
5/10/12 --- Appointment Letter Received via Email
6/11/12 --- Interview Date

MEDICAL/CONSULATE/POE
5/24/12--- MEDICAL
6/11/12 --- INTERVIEW RESULT (APPROVED)
7/05/12 --- POE (FLL-2 HOURS IN AIRPORT)
7/09/12 --- APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY (MAILED 07/18/12)
7/25/12 --- GREEN CARD RECEIVED (MAILED TO WRONG ADDRESS PICK-UP 8/7/12)

ROC

04/12/2014- MAILED ROC

04/14/2014-ROC RECEIVED

04/16/2014-NOA1

• 1 month later...

Hi i am a US navy wife from the Phils. married since 2009. My husband filed for an I-130 in my behalf and after a year of waiting for our case to be completed, i received today my appointment letter from nvc via email for my interview schedule next month. But unfortunately he will be scheduled next month for a 1-month training onboard and there is a possibility that he will be deployed immediately for 6 months or more...  which means he will be deployed during my interview and i will not be able to see him before his deployment  i am proud of my hubby and i am aware of his duties.. I hope our present situation will not cause any problem during my interview.. Please help! I don't know what to do...

• 4 months later...

This thread needs to be revived!

Or maybe make a new thread?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

This thread needs to be revived!

Or maybe make a new thread?

I agree :)

My fiance is currently on active duty in Afghan (US Air Force) but he comes back in March! If my interview goes to plan il be there to greet him! So excited!!!

I agree :)

My fiance is currently on active duty in Afghan (US Air Force) but he comes back in March! If my interview goes to plan il be there to greet him! So excited!!!

Awww that will be the perfect homecoming gift! :)

I'm married to an airman, by the way :star:

Are you guys looking to expedite?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Awww that will be the perfect homecoming gift! :)

I'm married to an airman, by the way :star:

Are you guys looking to expedite?

I have my interview on the 11th feb :D We only filed for our K-1 in October and didn't expedite but it was processed super quick anyway. Took less than a month for our NOA2 to come through.

We might try and expedite for my AOS as he might be off somewhere again soon. What base is your husband at?? My fiance is in AFSOC so hes at Hulburt Field. Cant wait to live in FL!

I have my interview on the 11th feb :D We only filed for our K-1 in October and didn't expedite but it was processed super quick anyway. Took less than a month for our NOA2 to come through.

We might try and expedite for my AOS as he might be off somewhere again soon. What base is your husband at?? My fiance is in AFSOC so hes at Hulburt Field. Cant wait to live in FL!

Wow! How fast was your NOA1 to NOA2? :dance:

Edit... oops, you already said 28 days! Awesome! Sent you a PM

Edited by ivyanddan

Audre Lorde

What's the life of an air force wife like?

Long weekends or occurrence of typhoons/hurricanes in a tropical OCONUS base spent alone. Harhar.

Audre Lorde

Wow. This subforum is just so dead right now.

(F)

Audre Lorde

Im here! lol! ivyanddan i found that memorandum for you and sent you a bunch of info privatly, i hope you find it usefull, im sorry about how long it is haha!

Hows everyone doing here?? Ive been away for a while because of school but my removal of conditions is coming up soon so i thought i would come back and check this old place out :) haha!

February 2010: Met online via social networking site

1st July 2010: Met for the first time in Lake Charles, LA [11 days]

9th August 2010: Got Engaged!

September 2010: Met for the second time in Lake Charles, LA [2 weeks]

December 2010: Met for the third time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

18th February 2011: Got Married!

May 2011: Met for the fourth time in London, UK [2 weeks]

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

21st July 2011 - 14th December 2011

September 2012: Met for the fith time in Lake Charles, LA [3 months]

NVC

4th January 2012 - 23th January 2012

EMBASSY

25th January 2012 - 23rd March 2012

NEW LIFE IN THE USA

5th April 2012: POE: Houston, TX, USA!!

7th May 2012: Greencard arrived in mail

Remove the Conditions on Residence Petition

USCIS

April 1st - Present

1st April 2014: Filed I-751 (with divorce waiver)

4th April 2014: Received NOA (1 year extension)

April 20th 2014: Filed for divorce

12th May 2015: Received second biometric appointment letter due to rescheduling my first appointment

May 28th 2014: Biometrics taken in Louisville, KY

October 31 2014: Received RFE requesting final divorce judgment

22nd January 2015: Received final divorce judgment & submitted to VSC

25th January 2015: Called USCIS Military hotline to enquire on gaining an extension in order to enlist in United States Army & was advised to make infopass appointment at local office as processing will take longer than 6 months on my application.

Im here! lol! ivyanddan i found that memorandum for you and sent you a bunch of info privatly, i hope you find it usefull, im sorry about how long it is haha!

Hows everyone doing here?? Ive been away for a while because of school but my removal of conditions is coming up soon so i thought i would come back and check this old place out :) haha!

Thank you so much! :)

How's school? You'll be good at it, fo sure :dance:

Audre Lorde

Thank you so much! :)

How's school? You'll be good at it, fo sure :dance:

Your welcome :)

Its looong and tedious haha! Im studying business law & business math at the moment, i dont get to start any immigration law untill ive completed a year and a half of law school *sigh* im just waiting to get to the good stuff haha! Are you in school? If your husband is under a certian rank then you can apply for up to a $4000 grant through mycaa.. definatly worth looking into if you havent heard of it :)

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

NVC

EMBASSY

NEW LIFE IN THE USA

USCIS

April 1st - Present

12th May 2015: Received second biometric appointment letter due to rescheduling my first appointment

25th January 2015: Called USCIS Military hotline to enquire on gaining an extension in order to enlist in United States Army & was advised to make infopass appointment at local office as processing will take longer than 6 months on my application.

Your welcome :)

Its looong and tedious haha! Im studying business law & business math at the moment, i dont get to start any immigration law untill ive completed a year and a half of law school *sigh* im just waiting to get to the good stuff haha! Are you in school? If your husband is under a certian rank then you can apply for up to a $4000 grant through mycaa.. definatly worth looking into if you havent heard of it :)

I've heard of that. :) i'm not in school, but it is one of my options (to possibly take a 2 year related course) if my other plan doesn't pan out.

How many years for immigration law?

Edited by ivyanddan

Audre Lorde

I've heard of that. :) i'm not in school, but it is one of my options (to possibly take a 2 year related course) if my other plan doesn't pan out.

How many years for immigration law?

That's cool :) what area are you interested in?

And immigration law is a complicated one, unfortunately you can't just go to community college and say "I want to be an immigration lawyer" :( lol!! I wish.. its 4 years to get your bachelor's degree in whatever you choose and then 3 or so at law school and unfortunately most of what you learn over that period is nothing immigration related haha I'm looking at about a 10 year timeline to get certified to do what I want but I'm studying to become a paralegal in the meantime lol so busy busy busy :)

CR-1 Visa

USCIS

NVC

EMBASSY

NEW LIFE IN THE USA

USCIS

April 1st - Present

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.