TOMN

Need advise for AOS interview

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi, I really need some advise on the AOS interview. Here is our story in short. I'm from US; he is from Canada. We met on-line, visited each other a few times, then he found a job in US and came here on TN visa to work and to figure out where we wanted to go with our relationship. After about a month in US he proposed and we got married in a small civil ceremony. That was last May. In June we found out that the prices for green cards were going up 2.5 times. We decided that we should apply. Now what do we need to prepare for the AOS interview? I understand that we need to prove 2 things: 1. our marriage is true marriage and 2. he came here legally on TN with no intention to stay. How do we accomplish both things without conflicting one another? Thanks.

Hi, I really need some advise on the AOS interview. Here is our story in short. I'm from US; he is from Canada. We met on-line, visited each other a few times, then he found a job in US and came here on TN visa to work and to figure out where we wanted to go with our relationship. After about a month in US he proposed and we got married in a small civil ceremony. That was last May. In June we found out that the prices for green cards were going up 2.5 times. We decided that we should apply. Now what do we need to prepare for the AOS interview? I understand that we need to prove 2 things: 1. our marriage is true marriage and 2. he came here legally on TN with no intention to stay. How do we accomplish both things without conflicting one another? Thanks.

Hi Tomn. I'm going to move your thread to the AOS Forum because you'll get a better response there.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Be sure to bring pictures of your relationship over the year. If you visited him in Canada, pictures from there and the US too. Wedding and honeymoon pictures.

Proof of comingling of finances. Lease with both your names on it, utility bills with both names, insurance, phone bills, credit cards, bank accounts, etc. They will ask for this kind of stuff. We brought all of that, plus wedding cards and Christmas cards addressed to Mr & Mrs ***** at our address.

We also brought plane and bus tickets from visits and I brought some hotel receipts but since they only have 1 name on them, it doesnt do too much good.

You can also get friends and family (maybe even your super or landlord if they know you) to write affidavits confirming that they know you and that you guys are in fact in love, etc. We didnt do that, but its always a good idea.

Make sure to bring everything they ask you to bring on the interview letter as far as paystubs and taxes go.

Good luck!

AOS Timeline

07-18-2007 - Married

10-09-2007 - I-485 Packet Sent (485, 130, 765, 864, 131)

10-11-2007 - Packet arrives in Chicago

10-22-2007 - Rejection Notice - Improper Fees

10-22-2007 - I-485 Packet Re-sent (485, 130, 765, 864, 131)

10-24-2007 - Re-sent Packet arrives in Chicago

10-30-2007 - NOA1 for 485, 130, 765, 131

11-23-2007 - Biometrics Appointment

12-31-2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered

12-31-2007 - AP Approval Notice Sent

01-07-2008 - Interview notice arrives!!! (Dated 12-28-2007) - 69 days from NOA1

01-08-2008 - AP papers arrive!!! (Dated 12-31-2007) - 70 Days from NOA1

01-12-2008 - EAD Card arrives!!! (Dated 01-07-2008) - 74 days from NOA1

02-12-2008 - Interview! - 105 days from NOA1

02-27-2008 - Card Production Ordered! - 120 days from NOA1

03-03-2008 - Welcome Letter (485) and Approval Notice (130) arrive! (Dated 02-27-2008) - 125 days from NOA1

03-15-2008 - GREEN CARD ARRIVES!!!

I-751 Removal of Conditions Timeline

01-21-10 - I-751 Packet sent to Vermont

01-23-10 - Packet received

02-22-10 - Biometrics

04-15-10 - Approval! Card Production Ordered! (No interview) - 84 days from sending packet

04-21-10 - Approval letter arrives

04-23-10 - Card received! See you in 2020! - 92 days from sending packet

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does he have anything that showed ties to Canada, showing that he did not intend to abondon his life there? Deed to a house, lease, letter from employer there, etc? Anything that shows he intended to go back definitely helps.

AOS Timeline

07-18-2007 - Married

10-09-2007 - I-485 Packet Sent (485, 130, 765, 864, 131)

10-11-2007 - Packet arrives in Chicago

10-22-2007 - Rejection Notice - Improper Fees

10-22-2007 - I-485 Packet Re-sent (485, 130, 765, 864, 131)

10-24-2007 - Re-sent Packet arrives in Chicago

10-30-2007 - NOA1 for 485, 130, 765, 131

11-23-2007 - Biometrics Appointment

12-31-2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered

12-31-2007 - AP Approval Notice Sent

01-07-2008 - Interview notice arrives!!! (Dated 12-28-2007) - 69 days from NOA1

01-08-2008 - AP papers arrive!!! (Dated 12-31-2007) - 70 Days from NOA1

01-12-2008 - EAD Card arrives!!! (Dated 01-07-2008) - 74 days from NOA1

02-12-2008 - Interview! - 105 days from NOA1

02-27-2008 - Card Production Ordered! - 120 days from NOA1

03-03-2008 - Welcome Letter (485) and Approval Notice (130) arrive! (Dated 02-27-2008) - 125 days from NOA1

03-15-2008 - GREEN CARD ARRIVES!!!

I-751 Removal of Conditions Timeline

01-21-10 - I-751 Packet sent to Vermont

01-23-10 - Packet received

02-22-10 - Biometrics

04-15-10 - Approval! Card Production Ordered! (No interview) - 84 days from sending packet

04-21-10 - Approval letter arrives

04-23-10 - Card received! See you in 2020! - 92 days from sending packet

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just had my interview last Tuesday and we were the only appt, approved that day!

There is a list on the interview date letter.

I did over prepare, but there were some things we did "not" have, like joint bank account,

since my husband has owned and lived in the house for 20 yrs..all the household bills were

in his name.

Things that did help and worked

Photo copy of each :

Drivers License with the same address

Costco cards

Bi-Mart cards

Joint Lowes Dept. store cards

AAA cards

Receipts of furniture purchases

Car and House Insurance

Life Insurance with spouse as beneficiary

Car Repair receipts

Airline ticket and travel receipts with both names.

We are in the midst of remortgaging ...so brought the envelope with all the finance details.

(I think that was the closer along with our Cruise picture we from the week before)

Also 3 wedding pictures. family and friends pictures on different occasions.

asked how we met, when we started dating, when he proposed....

went over my I485 application verifing my answers to the questions.

I think all you have to do is be honest and bring anything that will help you explain

yourself.

Good Luck!

thanks for the info. He doesn't have a house or lease back in Canada. We listed his parent's address as his last address. He does have a bank account with some money closed for a year that he still can't withdraw plus he is a graduate student at the university in Canada. do you think this will be sufficient? Maybe his parents can write something that he rents a room in the house? Will it help?

A couple other things that I just remembered - he didn't sell any of his furniture but stored it at his parent's house. Not sure if it is possible to prove it. But it is sitting in their basement and garage and they are not using it. He also didn't disconnect his cell phone when he moved to US. Would that info help?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
A couple other things that I just remembered - he didn't sell any of his furniture but stored it at his parent's house. Not sure if it is possible to prove it. But it is sitting in their basement and garage and they are not using it. He also didn't disconnect his cell phone when he moved to US. Would that info help?

He came on a TN visa, so to my understanding it is not going to raise red flags like coming on a tourism visa or the visa waiver program. He obviously came for a job and not to get married. I'm not all that familiar with that visa, but don't you need to have a job offer to get it/ If you do I would think that's enough proof that he didn't come with the goal to be married.

For the rest use the list in the guides http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2, there are some good things from there that prove your bonafide relationship.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

He came on a TN visa, so to my understanding it is not going to raise red flags like coming on a tourism visa or the visa waiver program. He obviously came for a job and not to get married. I'm not all that familiar with that visa, but don't you need to have a job offer to get it/ If you do I would think that's enough proof that he didn't come with the goal to be married.

For the rest use the list in the guides http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2, there are some good things from there that prove your bonafide relationship.

TN is a temp work visa with no intention to immigrate so it is kind of like tourist visa.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

TN is a temp work visa with no intention to immigrate so it is kind of like tourist visa.

Most visas are with no intention to immigrate. What matters is the reason you enter the county for. I checked the US embassy in canada and here is what I found about the TN visa

How to obtain a "TN" visa

To qualify for admission under this classification, citizens of Canada, at the U.S. Port of Entry, shall:

* Request "TN" status.

* Bring the original documentation and provide a copy of the applicant's college degree and employment records which establish qualification for the prospective job.

* Provide a letter from the prospective U.S.-based employer offering him/her a job in the United States.

o This job must be one which is included on the list of professions under NAFTA, Appendix 1603.D.1.

* Pay a fee of US$50.

* Canadian citizens are not required to obtain a visa, but instead receive "TN" status with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at the Port of Entry.

* The "TN" status will only be granted if the period of stay is temporary.

He came with the intent to work. As I undersand the rule of the TN he would have needed a job offer to obtain it. If he followed through and took the job he was getting the TN visa for, then that is all the proof you need: his TN visa and a letter from his employee. He didn't came to marry you; he came to work and he has proof of it. So don't worry.

My brother in law came with a TN to the US, he worked here for year with a TN, got married to my husband's sister. He waited a while, but in the end he applied for a GC. He is now an american citizen and as far as I know never had a problem.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

He came with the intent to work. As I undersand the rule of the TN he would have needed a job offer to obtain it. If he followed through and took the job he was getting the TN visa for, then that is all the proof you need: his TN visa and a letter from his employee. He didn't came to marry you; he came to work and he has proof of it. So don't worry.

My brother in law came with a TN to the US, he worked here for year with a TN, got married to my husband's sister. He waited a while, but in the end he applied for a GC. He is now an american citizen and as far as I know never had a problem.

thanks for your reassurance. I feel better now. Did anyone on this board also adjust from TN but perhaps wihtout waiting a long time?

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am not an expert, but there have been other threads about this:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109502

If you filed an I-485, and applied for EAD and AP for your spouse, I would make sure that your spouse is working on the EAD and not the TN at Interview time.

I have no experience other that forums like this, but TN to Greencard is done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.