TBoneTX

How to Shake Your NOA2 Loose from the CSC

537 posts in this topic

I'll be curious to see the reaction people get to these tips ... terrific of you to post these online so us good people can get a touch!!!

But .....

If someone rang ME at work, who knew nothing of the stresses and strains I'm under day and daily, when I was already busy and stressed (as is the norm these days) and used the lingo of my particular, err, job, at me down the phone when I knew they had no knowledge of just how hard I already work then in all truth I'd most likely throw their file in the garbage just for presuming to know my job and for taking me away from what I should be concenrating on at that point.

Now, as I said, terrific of you to post these hints online so us good people can get a touch and I'm glad they worked for other people ... I'm just saying how I HAVE reacted to this kind of phone call in the past ...

R

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Now, as I said, terrific of you to post these hints online so us good people can get a touch and I'm glad they worked for other people ... I'm just saying how I HAVE reacted to this kind of phone call in the past ...

Good point. I'm pretty skeptical that this technique will work in the general case, but I'd LOVE to be proven wrong. I think the problem we're facing is a front line customer support team that's been instructed to blockade at all costs. I think TB was lucky enough to run into a pretty straight shooter, but I don't know how many of those exist. My experience has been nothing short of a complete stonewall.

In my own personal case I was proven right, but I'd love to be the exception that proves the rule. So for anyone that utilizes this strategy, please share.

Maybe I'll have to give it a go for Claudeth's I-751 :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I think the problem we're facing is a front line customer support team that's been instructed to blockade at all costs. I think TB was lucky enough to run into a pretty straight shooter, but I don't know how many of those exist. My experience has been nothing short of a complete stonewall.

Aha! Maybe this is the part that I assumed that everyone knew, but which was in truth unclear. Let's clarify:

Under the usual "calling" approach, we dial the 800 number and wait 30+ minutes on hold only to reach a front-line know-nothing contracted screener who will not care, may read a script, will tell us nothing that we don't already know, and will refuse to connect us with an Immigration Officer even when we tell them that they're required to (which they ARE required to, but they will resent it and make sure that we know it).

In happy contrast, when we try my approach and are first connected to a live person, the live person IS AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER -- NOT the blockader blockheads. My first time, I was stunned that this was so, but it happened each subsequent time. (If you are dubious, ask the person whom you reach: "Are you REALLY an Immigration Officer? You ARE? Wowwwww -- thank heaven that I've reached you! I know that you can help me." Then, proceed with the recommended questions.)

The ImmigOffs are the ones -- the ONLY ones -- who actually have inside knowledge of our cases (learned by computer look-up as we talk with them), and THEY are the ones who can send the gently prompting e-mails to the workers on the floor who are actually handling our files.

The stonewalling, know-nothing front-line call-screeners are contract workers who are there to take some load off the ImmigOffs (and to unhelpfully irritate the devil out of us). In pleasant contrast, the ImmigOffs are there to take the load off the floor workers, who (according to one ImmigOff who told me) were previously taking so many direct phone calls that they couldn't process files. Under this tiered screening arrangement, the floor people KNOW that when an ImmigOff sends an e-mail to the floor, it's meaningful and substantive, and not a pestering distraction. THIS is why my application finally got the dust shaken off of it.

Mox must have reached a bummer ImmigOff, which of course would discourage anyone. The person to whom Mox spoke is the exception among ImmigOffs, not the rule (as it is among the front-line contracted screeners). Read Estadia's positive testimonial of earlier in this thread.

My recommended approach is THE WAY to BYPASS the know-nothing screeners and to reach someone DIRECTLY who can actually help. When we speak with an ImmigOff, the difference in attitude, supportiveness, sympathy level, and amount of useful information is as different as day is from night, or heaven from hell, or Sears from Roebuck, or Haldeman from Ehrlichman. Had Mox told me of his negative experience when it happened, I would have (without hesitation) bet him $100 that he could call back and reach someone helpful. Si, man!

In summary:

Usual calling system

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dial 800 number; wait on hold; 99.44% probability of reaching clueless, rude screener; receive no new information; hang up frustrated and ready to scream or throttle someone.

Recommended calling system

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dial 800 number & all prompts, almost immediate connection with Immigration Officer; 99.44% probability of helpful information, supportiveness, and (if we handle it as suggested) an e-mail sent to the floor that will cause our file to move from a pile to a station, or from one station to the next, or from a station to the Supervisor for approval signature; hang up feeling better and more hopeful.

Mox, buddy, I recommend that you try again. Eli, does this settle the doubts that you expressed in your last message?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

*** IGNORE POST ABOVE -- it was a pretty good draft that got posted and wouldn't allow editing in favor of this much more complete post here ***

I think the problem we're facing is a front line customer support team that's been instructed to blockade at all costs. I think TB was lucky enough to run into a pretty straight shooter, but I don't know how many of those exist. My experience has been nothing short of a complete stonewall.

Aha! Maybe this is the part that I assumed that everyone knew, but which was in truth unclear. Let's clarify:

The parties involved are:

1. Us (the callers)

2. The front-line contracted screeners

3. The Immigration Officers assigned to help USCIS

4. The floor workers who actually handle our files.

Under the usual "calling" approach, we dial the 800 number and wait 30+ minutes on hold only to reach a front-line know-nothing contracted screener who will not care, may read a script, will tell us nothing that we don't already know, and will refuse to connect us with an Immigration Officer even when we tell them that they're required to (which they ARE required to, but they will resent it and make sure that we know it).

In happy contrast, when we try my approach and are first connected to a live person, the live person IS AN IMMIGRATION OFFICER -- NOT the blockader blockheads. My first time, I was stunned that this was so, but it happened each subsequent time. (If you are dubious, ask the person whom you reach: "Are you REALLY an Immigration Officer? You ARE? Wowwwww -- thank heaven that I've reached you! I know that you can help me." Then, proceed with the recommended questions.)

The ImmigOffs are the ones -- the ONLY ones -- who actually have inside knowledge of our cases (learned by computer look-up as we talk with them), and THEY are the ones who can send the gently prompting e-mails to the workers on the floor who are actually handling our files.

The stonewalling, know-nothing front-line call-screeners are contract workers who are there to take some load off the ImmigOffs (and to unhelpfully irritate the devil out of us). In pleasant contrast, the ImmigOffs are there to take the load off the floor workers, who (according to one ImmigOff who told me) were previously taking so many direct phone calls that they couldn't process files. Under this tiered screening arrangement, the floor people KNOW that when an ImmigOff sends an e-mail to the floor, it's meaningful and substantive, and not a pestering distraction. THIS is why my application finally got the dust shaken off of it.

Mox must have reached a bummer ImmigOff, which of course would discourage anyone. The person to whom Mox spoke is the exception among ImmigOffs, not the rule. We are probably all so jaded from having dealt purely with the front-line screeners that the previous sentence is hard to believe. Read Estadia's positive testimonial of earlier in this thread -- I am 100% certain that she reached an actual ImmigOff.

My recommended approach is THE WAY to BYPASS the know-nothing screeners and to reach someone DIRECTLY who can actually help. When we speak with an ImmigOff, the difference in attitude, supportiveness, sympathy level, and amount of useful information is as different as day is from night, or heaven from hell, or Sears from Roebuck, or Haldeman from Ehrlichman. Had Mox told me of his negative experience when it happened, I would have (without hesitation) bet him $100 that he could call back and reach someone helpful. Si, man!

The Engineering Process: On the basis of the way that the USCIS screening system is set up, we must make sure that the procession is Us ---> ImmigOff ---> Floor Worker, and not Us ---> Screener ---> nowhere.

In Practice:

Usual calling system

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dial 800 number; wait on hold for 30+ minutes; 99.44% probability of reaching clueless, rude screener; receive no new information; hang up frustrated and ready to scream or throttle someone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dial 800 number & all prompts, almost immediate connection with Immigration Officer; 99.44% probability of helpful information, supportiveness, and (if we handle it as suggested) an e-mail sent to the floor that will cause our file to move from a pile to a station, or from one station to the next, or from a station to the Supervisor for approval signature; hang up feeling better and more hopeful.

Mox, buddy, I recommend that you try again. Eli, does this settle the doubts that you expressed in your post of just earlier?

Edited by TBoneTX

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
*** IGNORE POST ABOVE -- it was a pretty good draft that got posted and wouldn't allow editing in favor of this much more complete post here ***

The parties involved are:

1. Us (the callers)

2. The front-line contracted screeners

3. The Immigration Officers assigned to help USCIS

4. The floor workers who actually handle our files.

Mox must have reached a bummer ImmigOff, which of course would discourage anyone. The person to whom Mox spoke is the exception among ImmigOffs, not the rule. We are probably all so jaded from having dealt purely with the front-line screeners that the previous sentence is hard to believe. Read Estadia's positive testimonial of earlier in this thread -- I am 100% certain that she reached an actual ImmigOff.

The Engineering Process: On the basis of the way that the USCIS screening system is set up, we must make sure that the procession is Us ---> ImmigOff ---> Floor Worker, and not Us ---> Screener ---> nowhere.

In Practice:

Usual calling system

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dial 800 number; wait on hold for 30+ minutes; 99.44% probability of reaching clueless, rude screener; receive no new information; hang up frustrated and ready to scream or throttle someone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mox, buddy, I recommend that you try again. Eli, does this settle the doubts that you expressed in your post of just earlier?

Hi all,

We tried this method last night - there was one issue with it though in that the system wouldn't accept our receipt number, as it was saying we had not entered enough digits - our receipt number is in the format WAC-07-274-52*** (where the *'s represent the last three numbers). We tried three or four times (entering the digits without the dashes) and no luck, so she chose the option to use if you had lost your receipt number.

My SO ended up talking to someone (sounds like they were the contract screeners) - they said they couldn't send an email to the floor or find out exactly where our case was. They aslo said that they are only processing July petitions at the moment - informed them that we know people who filed after us are getting approved - they said they couldn't provide us with any further information.

My question is - has anyone had the same problem with their reciept number not working? Does the format of our receipt number match that of others?

Good luck to all and here's hoping that we all get through soon.

Cheers,

Mark

18 September 2007: I-129F Sent to CSC

26 September 2007: I-129F NOA1

20 February 2008: Touch

21 February 2008: Touch

5 March 2008: I-129F NOA2

15 March 2008: NVC received

18 March 2008: NVC forwarded to Auckland

26 March 2008: Packet 3 Received

14 April 2008: Packet 3 Sent

18 April 2008: Packet 4 Received

29 April 2008: Interview Date

3 May 2008: Visa Received

28 May 2008: US Entry

28 June 2008: Wedding Day!!!!

30 June 2008: AOS/EAD documents sent to Chicago Lock Box

7 July 2008: NOA1 for AOS & EAD documents

15 July 2008: Biometrics Appointment

3 September 2008: EAD Approved and Card Production Ordered

15 September 2008: EAD Card Received

16 September 2008: AOS Approved and Green Card Production Ordered

26 September 2008: Green Card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline
this is going to sound really stupid to u but did u enter the alphabet letters also only in digit form?

Yeah we treied both with only enetring the numbers and entering the letters as digits and the numbers. What worked for you - just the digits or the letters and digits?

Regards,

Mark

18 September 2007: I-129F Sent to CSC

26 September 2007: I-129F NOA1

20 February 2008: Touch

21 February 2008: Touch

5 March 2008: I-129F NOA2

15 March 2008: NVC received

18 March 2008: NVC forwarded to Auckland

26 March 2008: Packet 3 Received

14 April 2008: Packet 3 Sent

18 April 2008: Packet 4 Received

29 April 2008: Interview Date

3 May 2008: Visa Received

28 May 2008: US Entry

28 June 2008: Wedding Day!!!!

30 June 2008: AOS/EAD documents sent to Chicago Lock Box

7 July 2008: NOA1 for AOS & EAD documents

15 July 2008: Biometrics Appointment

3 September 2008: EAD Approved and Card Production Ordered

15 September 2008: EAD Card Received

16 September 2008: AOS Approved and Green Card Production Ordered

26 September 2008: Green Card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
this is going to sound really stupid to u but did u enter the alphabet letters also only in digit form?

Yeah we treied both with only enetring the numbers and entering the letters as digits and the numbers. What worked for you - just the digits or the letters and digits?

Regards,

Mark

i just put in the complete numbers including the letters in digits form it went thru right away the nice lady that i talked to gave me her name and she was immigration officer she stated that they are working on aug

Filed: Timeline
I did actually use TB's method when I called, but the CS person I got would not cooperate in the least. So I've taken a somewhat different but slightly similar tact. Since I'm still 20 days outside the 180 processing timeframe, I've contacted my congressman to ask why petitions are not being processed in the order in which they are received, as USCIS claims. I noted that there are many CSC petitions that were received after mine, but have been adjudicated before mine. In this way I hope to avoid the "you must wait 180 days" stock answer. The lady I spoke with at my representative's office seemed like a very sharp lady. She first said that "we'll see what we can do to expedite your case." Then I explained to her that I did *NOT* want them to try to expedite my case, that I only wanted to find out why my petition was not being processed in the order in which it was received. I also explained that "expedite" was not a word she should use at all, as this has an entirely different meaning with USCIS. She "got it" after that, asked me a bunch of questions, and really seemed to understand the issue. I've since sent a fax explaining my situation and a copy of my NOA1.

I am not optimistic that this will help at all, but it at least lets me feel like I'm doing something.

Following up on my call to my congressman: I was told that my congressman's office will not involve themselves until the USCIS processing date has surpassed my received date. I was advised to contact them again in about 2 months. Unfortunately this was relayed to me through a volunteer lackey, so I was unable to speak with my "case worker" directly. I have asked for my case worker to call me back today so I can kindly ask him to actually read the letter I sent, where it plainly says that I am asking that the claim of "petitions are processed in the order they are received" be investigated. I guess they only have the clueful lady I spoke with yesterday answer phones. The morons are the ones doing the actual work of the people.

Thanks to Tbone for posting this thread. I wish I had known this when our case was at the CSC (and I was watching those who filed after us get approved in droves). It's SO frustrating to have absolutely no recourse - and while we don't yet have the figures to say this will work with 100% certainty, it's at least worth a shot. And the numbers might start showing us that it actually does work.

We'll have to be careful, though, that we have not opened Pandora's box. Meaning those who filed a month ago don't start using this method - personally I think everyone should have to wait the standard time that everyone else is waiting. It should be used when you fall outside that 'norm, and not just to skip line. Know what I mean?

SA4userbar.jpg

Timeline
Thanks to Tbone for posting this thread. I wish I had known this when our case was at the CSC (and I was watching those who filed after us get approved in droves). It's SO frustrating to have absolutely no recourse - and while we don't yet have the figures to say this will work with 100% certainty, it's at least worth a shot. And the numbers might start showing us that it actually does work.

We'll have to be careful, though, that we have not opened Pandora's box. Meaning those who filed a month ago don't start using this method - personally I think everyone should have to wait the standard time that everyone else is waiting. It should be used when you fall outside that 'norm, and not just to skip line. Know what I mean?

Tracy is right -- this approach is best used when you are approaching the posted USCIS "processing date" OR if you have determined -- from the lists of approved applications produced/posted here by VJ-ers -- that more than a handful of applications submitted AFTER YOURS have been approved. (My cue would be 8 or 10 such.)

However, someone who has filed "lately" (say, within 4 months) can use the FIRST question ("Can you tell me where in the Division my file is?"), and then say, "I'm not intending to jump the line, but if you [the Immigration Officer to whom you're speaking] can tell whether my file is about due to be moved to the next station, I'd sure appreciate your sending an e-mail to the floor to ask them to carry it that way." Then, WITHOUT putting the ImmigOff on the spot by insisting on an ANSWER about whether your file is due to be moved, immediately say, "Many thanks for your information and your help! You've made me feel better just talking to someone as knowledgeable and understanding as you. Have a good day!"

This kind of final statement from you will almost CERTAINLY cause the ImmigOff to send such an e-mail, simply because you've been so nice. You will feel better from having handled things this way, too!

Timeline
I really don't see any proof that your case was 'speeded up' by this method.

My file had been sitting "between stations" for some time. Then, it was sitting in "Identity Check" (or whatever) -- that's where some files are randomly sent as an extra step. In what proved to be my final call, the Immigration Officer said something like "It [your file] can probably go on now," and by the next morning I had my NOA2.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.