Gypsyangel

I asked for a new interview date

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I have an interview date of March 12, which was pretty short wait (2.5 months), not the 4 to 6 months I was expecting. I emailed Montreal and asked them if I could move my interview date out a month or so. They just emailed me back and said if I wanted to do that I would have to get to the end of the 4 to 6 month line again.

If I go to the interview in early march I won't be able to attend my parents 50th wedding anniversary in early Apriil because it is in the U.S. and I won't be prepared to move and exercize my visa until the summer.

Does anyone have experience with moving their interview dates in Montreal? Is this par for the course?

I should be celebrating getting an interview date, but I feel so disappointed.

Karen

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Some have been fortunate. I know it took Neiks forever to get another interview slot. But they sort of told you what ur options was--4-6 months from now. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When you cancel at Montreal you automatically go to the back of the line. It is the fairest way to do it because rescheduling you means someone else would have to be rescheduled and so on. They can't let people pick and choose there interview dates unfortunately as it would just complicate teh process so much more. Your best bet is to either prepare yourself for an earlier move or prepare yourself to not be able to attend the family event.

Sorry that there isn't more positive options!

AOS

Date Filed : 2008-02-15

NOA Date : 2008-02-26

RFE(s) : 2008-03-13

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-07-23

Approved : 2008-07-23

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

EAD

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

Approved Date : 2008-04-24

Date Card Received : 2008-05-03

Comments : Packet Arrived in Chicago - Feb 20, 2008

Check cashed Feb 28, 2008

AP

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 2008-04-24

Date Received : 2008-05-01

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If it were I--I would email back and state why an interview at a later date would be beneficial! And kiss thier asses,lol And ya never know,they may be accommodating. Include a date that would be better suited!! They may chnage thier minds, they may not!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

You can request a delay in the issuance of the visa. The day mine was approved at the Consulate, we discussed this with the Officer. The Officer said that I could send him my passport when I was ready for the visa to be issued. I have a vague recollection of it being up to 3 months.

As well, I have travelled to the US with the visa in my passport but did not use it until I was ready. (This was also a question we asked of the Consulate Officer. He said that there is no policy that states that a visa had to be used when crossing.... it is up to the beneficiary.) When/if the CBP Officers asked about it, I told them I would be using it at a later date. Mind you, this is always subject to interpretation by the officer. The guys at the Buffalo Peace Bridge were quite knowledgeable.

iagree.gif

Can't you just still attend your scheduled interview, get your visa, but use it later? Just because a K-1 visa is in your passport, do you have to use it to enter when you would come to your parents anniversary? You can just use your VWP to come for a short stay and then return and finish packing up house for your permanent move. Its also a good way to prove ties to home country and POE....you're just coming temporarily, to your parents party, but you're going back home so you can pack up and emigrate.

Is that not doable?

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

Yeah, I suppose it's worth a shot asking again. I did ask for a specific date, but I didn't tell them why. If I reschedule and it's only a 2.5 month wait, it's not that bad, but if it's 6 months, that would really suck.

Thx for your comments!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/22/12 - Biometrics

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

Timeline

I thought that once the visa was in your passport that you had to execute it your first time over the border. I didn't realize you could ask them not to exercize it. I wonder how risky it is.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/22/12 - Biometrics

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah, I suppose it's worth a shot asking again. I did ask for a specific date, but I didn't tell them why. If I reschedule and it's only a 2.5 month wait, it's not that bad, but if it's 6 months, that would really suck.

Thx for your comments!

i guess looking at other cases here,you can reschedule a further date (ask for assigned date or thereafter) but give them a valid and actual reason and try again,it should work out,if not thats sad.

Good luck

5443.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I thought that once the visa was in your passport that you had to execute it your first time over the border. I didn't realize you could ask them not to exercize it. I wonder how risky it is.

i agree to the former ,i dint know you have choice of not executing it..well thats quite risky .

5443.gif

Depends on the officer you get. I had no problems whatsoever, and I know there are others who did the same. Just go to your interview, then ask the Consulate to delay the issuance if you don't want to take the risk.

Can't you just still attend your scheduled interview, get your visa, but use it later? Just because a K-1 visa is in your passport, do you have to use it to enter when you would come to your parents anniversary? You can just use your VWP to come for a short stay and then return and finish packing up house for your permanent move. Its also a good way to prove ties to home country and POE....you're just coming temporarily, to your parents party, but you're going back home so you can pack up and emigrate.

Is that not doable?

Just as a point of clarification..... Canada is not a VWP country, nor do Canadians require a visa to visit the US.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just go to your interview, then ask the Consulate to delay the issuance if you don't want to take the risk.

that is what I would do...

anything to avoid Montreal re-scheduling you, I say...Unless you can use the "extra"4-6 months to prepare for your move and save more money... best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Yes, with a K-1 visa the time you enter with it, that's that. It's a one time entry visa. But I believe you have 6 months from visa issuance to actually crossing the border. And rescheduling sends you to the end of the line.

Yes, with a K-1 visa the time you enter with it, that's that. It's a one time entry visa. But I believe you have 6 months from visa issuance to actually crossing the border. And rescheduling sends you to the end of the line.

No... depends on the officer. See paragraph 2 of this post. I crossed 2 or 3 times without a problem. First time they never noticed the visa in the passport. Second time they saw it and asked about it. Third time I think it was the same scenario. Can't quite recall.

Worst case scenario, Gypsy..... cross using two other forms of ID. It doesn't have to be a passport until June 2009. Unless you're flying.... then you do have to use your passport.... and I don't think they're as understanding as the land border crossings.

Edited by Crikey!
iagree.gif

No... depends on the officer. See paragraph 2 of this post. I crossed 2 or 3 times without a problem. First time they never noticed the visa in the passport. Second time they saw it and asked about it. Third time I think it was the same scenario. Can't quite recall.

Worst case scenario, Gypsy..... cross using two other forms of ID. It doesn't have to be a passport until June 2009.

Ooops, my bad.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.