Vann

Visa Packet BROWN ENVELOPE

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all. My filipina sweetheart and I were married on January 28th. However, we are overlooking the AOS process and realized there are some documents required from her that we don't have.

The problem is that when she entered her POE they took the brown envelope, opened it, and returned to her her passport, I-94, and X-ray film...nothing more.

My question is--did these people forward the forms in the brown envelope to the proper Immigration people?

Also, the USCIS representative I spoke with over the phone told us that once we mail off the AOS package we will receive a notice from them later on if we need any additional documents to send in.

My question is...did these people screw up and not return to her every necessary document or will these be sent back to us or what? So confused! :wacko:

Also, the woman told us that as long as we mail in this package within the 90 day period that as long as they receive it my bride will be safe and not deported. However, this woman didn't sound as if she was 100% sure of all of our questions so mine is...is this true? Will she be safe? Her visa expires on April 17th and it will take until next month for me to raise the money for the high filing fee of $1,010. So, should I deliver this through UPS to be faster?

Also...does anyone know where to mail this thing??? LOL! All that I see on many websites is "Chicago Lockbox" but gives no address or anything.

Also...we are required to send in our Marriage Certificate and License? Should we send the originals or will photocopies suffice?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

December 5, 2005: We met online and our lives changed--instant connection, became best friends

May 15, 2006: She is put on temporary hold from her job and asks me if I could hold on for her in the event she didn't get the job back. I said "yes, of course" and she finally proclaimed her love to me and admitted she'd loved me since February.

September 25, 2006: I land in Manila airport and rush into my baby's arms for the first time. We were both surprised to realise we were NOT nervous.

September 25, 2006: Our first kiss :P

September 27, 2006: I proposed to her in person and she accepted! :)

December 20, 2006: Mailed I-129 K1 petition to Texas service Center

January 15, 2007: Petition returned to me rejected :/ (placed wrong amount on check--duh!)

Febrary 10, 2007: Resubmitted the petition adding updated info pages and a CORRECT check

February 26, 2007: NOA1

May 28, 2007: I land in Manila on our anniversary and we feel whole and complete yet again :)

June 20, 2007: NOA2 which said it would take six months for an interview (Dunno why it said that)

August 4, 2007: My baby receives Packet 4 unexpectedly out of nowhere--the frantic cramming begins

August 23, 2007: Frantically prepared documents FedExed

August 30, 2007: My baby has a long two days at St. Lukes but checks out fine! :)

September 6, 2007: Interview date: after 8 agonising hours--APPROVED!!! :D

September 6, 2007: Plans for her arrival in January 2008 for our wedding are established! :)

January 28, 2008: Marriage

Timeline

Also, she opted to have her vaccinations done here in America and the woman over the phone mentioned a special surgeon we must go to, however she said we could see them on the website. Does anyone have a link to this list of surgeons? Is there any idea of what the cost is?

Needless to say, my bride and I are quite distressed now.

Are we overworrying? Is this AOS process really as simple as everyone says?

Please help.

December 5, 2005: We met online and our lives changed--instant connection, became best friends

May 15, 2006: She is put on temporary hold from her job and asks me if I could hold on for her in the event she didn't get the job back. I said "yes, of course" and she finally proclaimed her love to me and admitted she'd loved me since February.

September 25, 2006: I land in Manila airport and rush into my baby's arms for the first time. We were both surprised to realise we were NOT nervous.

January 15, 2007: Petition returned to me rejected :/ (placed wrong amount on check--duh!)

Febrary 10, 2007: Resubmitted the petition adding updated info pages and a CORRECT check

May 28, 2007: I land in Manila on our anniversary and we feel whole and complete yet again :)

June 20, 2007: NOA2 which said it would take six months for an interview (Dunno why it said that)

August 4, 2007: My baby receives Packet 4 unexpectedly out of nowhere--the frantic cramming begins

August 30, 2007: My baby has a long two days at St. Lukes but checks out fine! :)

September 6, 2007: Plans for her arrival in January 2008 for our wedding are established! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

that is correct that they keep the brown envelope.

The vaccination sheet that they refer to for the aos is that usually your wife should get another DS2050 (I think that is the form) which she can take to a civil surgeon to get it transferred to the required document. Anyhow, not everyone received the DS2050, including me.

What I did for my AOS is that I copied my entire vaccination records booklet (not sure if you got something like that in the Phillipines) and mailed it with the package and I was never asked for anything else, no RFE...

06/02/2006 - filed I-129F

12/16/2006 - Enter States thru Atlanta

01/13/2007 - Marriage

01/19/2007 - Filed AOS and EAD to Chicago

02/06/2007 - NOA that AOS has been forwarded to CSC

02/12/2007 - Fingerprinting in St. Louis

03/28/2007 - email notification that card production ordered!!!! (Day 68)

04/20/2007 - GC in the mail.....no more USCIS for 2 years!!!!!

12/29/08 - Filed I-751 to VSC

01/12/09 - NOA in mail

01/24/09 - received ASC notice

02/06/09 - biometrics appointment in Orlando

02/09/09 - touch

06/01/09 - approval letter in mail

12/11/09 - Filed N-400 to NSC

12/14/09 - Package arrived at NSC

12/26/09 - NOA in mail

01/22/10 - Fingerprinting in Orlando

03/08/10 - Interview in Orlando (passed)

03/12/10 - Oath Ceremony

Matthew Quoc-Minh *11/29/08*

7 lbs 6 oz. (3.35 kg) and 20" (51cm)

01/29/09 (2-month-check-up): 11.9 lbs (5.4 kg) and 22" (56cm)

03/30/09 (4-month-check-up): 16.5 lbs (7.5 kg) and 25" (63cm)

05/29/09 (6-month-check-up): 19.2 lbs (8.7 kg) and 26" (66cm)

12/1/09 (12-month-check-up): 22 lbs (10 kg) and 30.3" (77cm)

06/11/10 (18-month-check-up): 27.5 lbs (12.5 kg) and 33.5" (85cm)

12/13/10 (24-month-check-up): 31.7 lbs (14.4 kg) and 35.8" (91cm)

Timeline
You are over worrying

OK, thanks. Do you know any of the answers to the questions I asked? The woman over the phone didn't make it clear and I'd rather hear it from people who lived through this process to talk about it.

Any Immigration Survivors in this process who can help would be appreciated. :P

Timeline
that is correct that they keep the brown envelope.

The vaccination sheet that they refer to for the aos is that usually your wife should get another DS2050 (I think that is the form) which she can take to a civil surgeon to get it transferred to the required document. Anyhow, not everyone received the DS2050, including me.

What I did for my AOS is that I copied my entire vaccination records booklet (not sure if you got something like that in the Phillipines) and mailed it with the package and I was never asked for anything else, no RFE...

My wife received a vaccination form from St. Lukes in the Philippines and she decided to get the vaccines here in America. So, they put that request on her form and handed it to her but the US customs on the POE took the form along with the brown envelope and never returned the form. Are they supposed to do this?

Can we simply visit one of these surgeons and ask them what she needs?

This is all very strenuous and my wife and I are having headaches. :unsure:

Timeline

during my POE the personnel received my brown envelope told me that they will send my documents to which immigration that my state belongs to and no need to worry about it.. he also said that just to remind you, you have 90 days to get married...

I'm not too sure if im right or wrong but what I've heard from some people that you have until 1 year to file your AOS the important thing is to get married within 90 days and your fiancee will not be deported... CORRECT ME if I'm wrong... :blush:

118283530184.gifJessel Chris11837926282d.gif

11-20-2004 ♥ when we are falling in love

03-03-2007 ♥ he visit me in Cebu

03-05-2007 ♥ he visit my family

03-06-2007 ♥ we're officially engaged

--------------♥ so many things happened / unforgettable date

03-11-2007 ♥ temporary departure

03-14-2007 ♥ finally, he went home to Florida...very sad day...

04-06-2007 ♥ I29F sent to CSC

04-12-2007 ♥ CSC received I29f

04-13-2007 ♥ NOA1 received through mail

08-07-2007 ♥ status online RFE

08-11-2007 ♥ got RFE letter

08-13-2007 ♥ calling CSC about RFE

08-13-2007 ♥ APPROVED!!!

08-18-2007 ♥NOA2 hard copy

10-29-2007 ♥MEDICAL @ SLEC

11-07-2007 ♥INTERVIEW DAY!!!APPROVED!!!

12-14-2007 ♥Soon to be with my GG!!!

Filed: Timeline
You are over worrying

OK, thanks. Do you know any of the answers to the questions I asked? The woman over the phone didn't make it clear and I'd rather hear it from people who lived through this process to talk about it.

Any Immigration Survivors in this process who can help would be appreciated. :P

The POE send all the contents of the brown envelope to USCIS and it becomes part of her immigration file.....

You have to get married within the 90 days.... you do not have to file for AOS within the 90 days, many many people wait a few weeks longer or even a few months longer.... she will not get deported...

She will need to get her vaccinations done... this can be done at a local health clinic (cheaper than at the civil surgeons) make sure you get a record of all the vaccinations she has done... take this at a local civil surgoen and he will complete the I-613a that you need to send with the AOS packet....

You can find a list of civil surgeons on the USCIS website look under civil surgeon locator....

Yes the whole AOS packet goes to the Chicago Lockbox.... the address is on the information page of the application form....

Hope this helps

Kez

Hello all. My filipina sweetheart and I were married on January 28th. However, we are overlooking the AOS process and realized there are some documents required from her that we don't have.

The problem is that when she entered her POE they took the brown envelope, opened it, and returned to her her passport, I-94, and X-ray film...nothing more.

My question is--did these people forward the forms in the brown envelope to the proper Immigration people?

Also, the USCIS representative I spoke with over the phone told us that once we mail off the AOS package we will receive a notice from them later on if we need any additional documents to send in.

My question is...did these people screw up and not return to her every necessary document or will these be sent back to us or what? So confused! :wacko:

Also, the woman told us that as long as we mail in this package within the 90 day period that as long as they receive it my bride will be safe and not deported. However, this woman didn't sound as if she was 100% sure of all of our questions so mine is...is this true? Will she be safe? Her visa expires on April 17th and it will take until next month for me to raise the money for the high filing fee of $1,010. So, should I deliver this through UPS to be faster?

Also...does anyone know where to mail this thing??? LOL! All that I see on many websites is "Chicago Lockbox" but gives no address or anything.

Also...we are required to send in our Marriage Certificate and License? Should we send the originals or will photocopies suffice?

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

The brown envelope is supposedly to be kept by the Immigration officer at her POE. Don't worry, they didn't screw up on your papers. They will keep it and record it. You will need to get married within 90 days upon her arrival here in US and then afterwards, file for her AOS so she can have her greencard. You really don't have to file for AOS right away as long as you got married within the 90-day period. That will give you enough time to come up with the money for her AOS application. However, without her greencard (or at least EAD), she cannot work and travel outside the country. You might want to at least make her apply for a SS number in case you won't be filing AOS right away because if her I-94 is close to expiring, the SS admin will not assign a number to her until she got her greencard or at least EAD. She can also apply for a state ID at least after 2 weeks of her arrival here (not later or close to expiration of I-94) so she can have a photo ID besides her passport.

Here's where you can mail your AOS:

USCIS Lockbox Addresses:

For United States Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For private couriers (non-USPS) deliveries:

USCIS

Attn: FBASI

427 S. LaSalle - 3rd Floor

Chicago, IL 60605-1029

You will need to include a copy of your marriage certificate along with the AOS packet. I even included a copy of the Marriage License. No need to send originals, copies will suffice. She needs to complete her vaccinations. She should have done it at St. Lukes because you paid for it and also, if she only did that, she will only have to worry about the TD shots, which St. Lukes doesn't have. And that shot can be done for free at your city health dept. Since she didn't have any vaccines from the Philippines, the civil surgeon can do it for her and then record it into I-693a form. The CS will give the completed form sealed in an envelope and never open it. Send it sealed along with the AOS packet. Other's didn't submit that I-693a and most of them received an RFE for it so to save yourself from delays, might as well have it submitted with the packet.

This is all I can help you with. If you have more questions, feel free to ask me.

--Mae

P.S.

fwaguy's right, you are a worrywart :whistle::whistle::thumbs:

Edited by David-Mae Forever

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Yes they did, nothing to worry about...according to what you've writte, proper procedure was followed.

True, its called a Request for Further Evidence(RFE)....and it will be sent to you only if after you've submitted the AOS papers, they require any further documentation from you.

Have your ead the guides pertaining to Adjusting Status here on VJ, they should clear up some of your confusion.

Also, the woman told us that as long as we mail in this package within the 90 day period that as long as they receive it my bride will be safe and not deported. However, this woman didn't sound as if she was 100% sure of all of our questions so mine is...is this true? Will she be safe? Her visa expires on April 17th and it will take until next month for me to raise the money for the high filing fee of $1,010.

You need to marry before her visa expires on Apr. 17th.....not necessarily mail the AOS w/in 90 days. The specifications of the K-1 visa (she came on a K-1 visa right?) are that you marry within 90 days of entereing the country. You can choose to wait a little past the 90 days to file for AOS (if you need time to raise the money), your wife will not be deported. She will be what is called "out of status" but it is not a deportable offense because by marrying w/in 90 days you followed the regulation of your visa.

So, should I deliver this through UPS to be faster?

Usually it is recommmended to use US Postal Service, certified/return receipt, and that way you can track your mailing.

Download the I-485 form from USCIS.gov page, and you'll see the proper address for the Chicago Lockbox, which is where you need to mail your AOS papers.

If you have received your marriace certificate back from your country registrar's (after your marriage has been registered, usually takes a few weeks to get this after marriage) then you can copy it, and send it. Do not send the original.

If you haven't received the marriage certificate back from the registrar's office, you should go and get a certified copy from them, and mail that.

Please read the guides, they offer a lot of information to help clear your confusion.

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.