CDAgirlMI

Valentine's Day

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello...

Just wanted to know what you all are planning to do for Valentine's day?

For Canadians..it kinda lands on a long weekend..we have the Monday off for "family day".

Just curious what people do when they're in long distance relationships....

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we're together now for V-Day (no more long distance!!!), which also happens to be our first wedding anniversary too .... I had planned to take hubby back to this charming old hotel where we stayed last year after we got married. Last year, it had a wonderful special with a dinner, bottle of champagne and the room for $200. This year, the price has jumped to between $400-$500, so that will definitely be a no go. We will probably just celebrate quietly at home on V-day and then, on the weekend, go look at strollers and cribs ... and probably will tie in a nice romantic dinner then too. Do we know how to walk on the wild side or what???!!!

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Seeing as how I've given my wife long-stem roses the last two years, I decided I'd do something different. She's been very stressed out lately, so I put together a "relaxation kit" of my own for her, which contains:

• One Valentine's Day card.
  • One tabletop fountain (that I researched heavily, in order to make sure it won't splash and cause a watery mess).
  • One satin heart-shaped box of high-quality "artisan" chocolates.
  • One scented candle (vanilla & sandalwood) made from "essential oils in a vegetable wax blend."
  • Two leather-bound hardcover books (both with attached gold satin bookmarks) covering two of her favorite topics.
  • One large heavy-duty Macy's shopping bag with easy-to-hold handles.

You might ask yourself... WHY the Macy's shopping bag, right? Well, since we're not living together yet and she obviously works during the day, I'm having the package sent to her office so she's sure to receive it. My wife lives downtown and doesn't use a car (just trying to find a parking spot would probably take more time than it would to walk), so I figure she could use some assistance carrying whatever items she chooses to bring back to her apartment. That's where the bag comes in -- it'd be a lot easier to use that than heft around a large cardboard package or worse yet, attempt to somehow carry multiple boxes at once.

Anyway... I may have gone a little overboard, but it really wasn't about Valentine's Day as much as it was about helping my wife relax and feel better. I would've done it with or without this holiday; having it come around now just gave me a convenient opening. ;)

Seeing as how I've given my wife long-stem roses the last two years, I decided I'd do something different. She's been very stressed out lately, so I put together a "relaxation kit" of my own for her, which contains:
  • One tabletop fountain (that I researched heavily, in order to make sure it won't splash and cause a watery mess).
  • One scented candle (vanilla & sandalwood) made from "essential oils in a vegetable wax blend."
  • Two leather-bound hardcover books (both with attached gold satin bookmarks) covering two of her favorite topics.
You might ask yourself... WHY the Macy's shopping bag, right? Well, since we're not living together yet and she obviously works during the day, I'm having the package sent to her office so she's sure to receive it. My wife lives downtown and doesn't use a car (just trying to find a parking spot would probably take more time than it would to walk), so I figure she could use some assistance carrying whatever items she chooses to bring back to her apartment. That's where the bag comes in -- it'd be a lot easier to use that than heft around a large cardboard package or worse yet, attempt to somehow carry multiple boxes at once.

Anyway... I may have gone a little overboard, but it really wasn't about Valentine's Day as much as it was about helping my wife relax and feel better. I would've done it with or without this holiday; having it come around now just gave me a convenient opening. ;)

Those are very lovely gifts and they'll be treasured I'm sure. Does your wife post here? I hope not for this moment anyway. :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Oops...forgot to post MY Valentine's Day stuff. I don't know what we'll be doing. On Valentine's Day we'll awake in Charleston and eventually make our way down to Savannah. We have a room in Savannah that evening. So I might be in for a surprise, I don't know! As far as gifts....I'm making Gene his gifts this year. Let me see.... I made a dough basket out of hearts that I painted. I made chocolates and chocolate lollipops. I made 100 reasons why I love him slips of paper, and folded them all up into a little heart shaped box. I decorated a small mason jar and put some sweetheart candies in them...the ones with the "sayings" on them. Actually some are quite ridiculous, but they're fun. I painted a small wooden frame, with a heart shaped viewing glass on it, and put a picture of us in the frame. I made two fridge magnets and painted them (also out of dough) and made a pin out of dough, and put a backing on it, for his shirt or hat. I also made a candle for him. All of this stuff will go in the basket with some of that fake red grass! :lol:

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

gotta love the Macy's shopping bag! he he he

I think that any token is great! It means that you put some thought into it. =)

During the week of Valentine's, we'll be in Montreal for our interview. It will be on Feb. 13. I guess the next day we'll be celebrating and perhaps do a romantic breakfast in MTL since we'll be making our way back around noon to Toronto.

Our Timeline:

K-1 Visa

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-04-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-08-07

Packet 3 Received : 2007-09-10

Packet 3 Sent : 2007-09-12

Interview Date : 2008-02-13 Montreal U.S. Consulate APPROVED!

Visa Received By Mail : 2008-02-20

Moved: 2008-03-01 The long drive from Canada to Florida!

Applied for SSN : 2008-03-12

Received SSN by mail: 2008-03-21

Wedding Date : 2008-05-03

67Or.jpg.png

AOS, EAD & AP

Sent in AOS, EAD & AP Applications : 2008-05-09

AOS, EAD & AP Applications received by UCIS: 2008-05-12

AOS, EAD & AP NOA1 : 2008-05-16, received in mail 2008-05-20

AOS, EAD NOA2 : 2008-05-21, received in mail 2008-05-27

AOS Case transferred to CA: 2008-06-03

AOS Case being processed: 2008-06-09

Biometrics Interview: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-11

AOS & EAD touched: 2008-06-12

AOS touched: 2008-06-19

AOS Card production ordered: 2008-07-11

AOS Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident: 2008-07-14

AOS touched: 2008-07-16

AOS touched: 2008-07-17

U.S Resident's Card recieved in mail!!!!: 2008-07-18

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We're with MarilynP in the poor house.. :)

SO.. we'll probably just have a quiet night in..

This will be our 2nd Valentine's day poor :) tee hee.. last year was right after I moved here, and we were too scared to spend money cause we didn't know how long I"d have to go without working :) *sigh.. it's just the cards we have right now!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Those are very lovely gifts and they'll be treasured I'm sure. Does your wife post here? I hope not for this moment anyway. :lol:

Nope! My wife never posts here; in fact, she rarely -- if ever -- bothers to check VJ at all. If she did, I'd be a little more careful. :P

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

The following Saturday night, me and my husband (assuming CBP lets him in) are going to dinner at Ruth's Chris. If you've never been, you should try it sometime.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline
The following Saturday night, me and my husband (assuming CBP lets him in) are going to dinner at Ruth's Chris. If you've never been, you should try it sometime.

Very nice restaurant. My wife took me there for my birthday when she was here in Texas. If you're going on a Saturday night, it'll definitely be dressier than a weekday (and far busier too). I hope you don't get a new waiter or waitress. I have a knack for getting them. :hehe:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No plans :( we're not really in a position to spend money just yet...c'mon EAD!

Since it's a Thurs, just a quiet night in...I have a little something which I CANNOT divulge since he is on here frequently too :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

the first Valentines after we met online, hubby (well, he wasn't my hubby at the time :P) sent me a cute Ecard that had kittens on it...... when we first met I thought he was annoying etc... but i started to like him after he sent me that card :blush: .... all the card said was" I know you like cats" .. I was touched that he had remembered something I had told him...

the next Valentine's day, I think he sent me flowers but I can't remember now... :unsure:

the next one we spent together, he came up to Canada so we could get our marriage license and for Valentine's I made him a nice dinner, which he ate and then he fell asleep right afterwards :P:lol:

the following Valentines, he sent me a dozen red long stem roses... (L)

I can't remember if we have done anything for Valentines since i have moved here :unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.